PDA

View Full Version : RS headlight motor conversion kit

navyflyer72
11-13-2005, 08:35 AM
Has anyone ever used this RS door motor/relay kit? What was your experience with it. I am having trouble with my brand new rs motors and the "painless" relay kit for the doors, I don't want to just throw money at the problem and find out that I just wasted $500 (the cost of the above kit), when I really only had a switch or ground problem originally... At any rate, here is the web address to the kit:

http://www.retro-electro.net/67system.html

paul67
11-13-2005, 10:02 AM
Was the diagram no good , can you post the painless 1 to see if theres a difference.
paul67

4MuscleMachines
11-13-2005, 11:49 AM
I just got mine about two weeks ago for my 69. Its the kit with electronic box liked pictured above. I have used his motors before with no trouble. He also sells on ebay and has excellent feedback, he is there with tech support and will not let you down. I highly recommend the motors.

navyflyer72
11-13-2005, 03:59 PM
Paul,

No, it wasn't your diagram that was bad, it was my knowledge of electronics. It seems everytime I take a step forward on this project, I take three back, so I am taking this phase out to the professionals before I burn up 60 thousand dollars of blood, sweat and tears. Just today I was trying to get some work done and I stepped on the cord of my hanging worklight which was attached under the hood where I was working, and the light came down on the header panel and made a small, barely noticable dent in the middle of one of the black Z-28 stripes, the body was pristine and now that I am moved from my oversized 2 car garage in Washington state to my undersized 1 car garage I am tripping all over myself, so she is going out for some work, so I can see some progress. Thanks for the help, I am taking your diagram with me to the guys doing the work for me.

-George

gmachinz
11-14-2005, 03:08 AM
I feel your pain, George! When I started my business, it all (custom work) came out of my 1-car garage...and some of it still does, lol. I have horror stories I could share, too. Too bad you weren't closer or I could finish your car as far as electrical work goes. At any rate, I'll get with you later today on the gang boxes/surge protectors. -Jabin

black67ls1
11-23-2005, 07:15 AM
I'm using Rick's First Gen RS kit on my 67 Camaro. I started installing it recently. I already installed American Autowire's classic update kit for the underdash wiring. Then they (AA) told me I need their RS relay wiring harness ... AA also made the FactoryFit RS harness that came with the RS conversion kit from Ricks, but AA said that won't work with the classic update kit. So another $150 to AA and the harness is on its way. I'll let you know how it works. The mechanical part of the RS headlights from Rick's installed okay. The limit switches bolted up in just right. Even though this is a non-RS car, the holes for the limit switches were already in the radiator support. The doors rotate smoothly.

black67ls1
01-20-2006, 06:02 AM
I wired everything for the RS headlight doors using all of American Autowire's stuff. Connected the battery (headlight doors were closed) and pulled the headlight switch and the doors opened! However, the doors did not close when I pushed the switch in. The wires and headlight bulbs are not there, so I don't know if this matter. More troubleshooting to come.