PDA

View Full Version : Option for patina look? 59 caddy

yellow1098Greg
10-09-2016, 07:40 AM
I know when a lot of guys do a patina look they paint a car like normal and add that look in. But I have a 59 caddy that has oxidation and surface rust and I don't want to go all out and redo the paint and body work. I am looking for options to clean it up and drive it, while leaving the worn look and surface rust so it doesn't get worse and looks clean smooth. I know a lot of you know what I mean, I'm just not sure how you go about that? Any help would be wonderful!

HotRod47
10-09-2016, 09:48 AM
If you are looking to keep the look but protect it for a while I would sand it down and matte clear the car. It will give some protection and slow the aging process, but clearly the fact is that clearing over and not removing rust means it won't be going away.

I would matte clear vs glass to help preserve the "old" look. Every time i see someone glass clear on a vehicle I laugh. Have you ever seen a barn find, or field car with still shining paint?

Peter Mc Mahon
10-09-2016, 11:20 AM
Matte clear

yellow1098Greg
10-09-2016, 11:34 AM
Thank you guys for the info! A lot of people have mentioned different treatments before the clear coat...would you just sand it first and that's it....what grit sandpaper would you suggest?

HotRod47
10-10-2016, 12:14 PM
Thank you guys for the info! A lot of people have mentioned different treatments before the clear coat...would you just sand it first and that's it....what grit sandpaper would you suggest?

I would sand with anywhere between 600-1000 grit.

MonzaRacer
11-23-2016, 05:59 PM
OK so for a car with some paint still on it I would clean it completly with good prep wash or Dawn, then wipe it down with wax and grease remover. then spray an adheasion promoter on the car. You most likely would not need to do the non painted surface but testing and checking for it changing the look of the patina.
THEN spray to whole outside with a matte,or semigloss clear. Now if you want it to look shiny like its fake patine but is real, then shoot a high solids clear in several coats with fine wet sanding between coats then a cut/buff on final coat.