PDA

View Full Version : USCA, trying to prep the car, dumb question, roll cage related.

fitzmotor
08-31-2016, 07:25 PM
Ok, trying to get the car to the Calif event, so my question is this, in the GTV class, how many cars have full roll cages, partial, or none at all, just a average, don't want to draw any comments about race cars with plates, or commuter cars with roll bars, I drive mine daily, I'm sticking in a bar and thought I would ask, thanks.

Zspoiler
08-31-2016, 07:52 PM
Call and or look up for that organization.or possibly an SCCA one.

Rod
08-31-2016, 08:20 PM
I added a bar, over over 2years ago (hoop, down bars, and a Harness bar) for safety and to stiffen the chassis
more, the result was so good I wouldn't build another car without one

SSLance
09-01-2016, 04:02 AM
I added a 4 point bar to mine 2 years ago, mainly so I could run a HANS device and proper harnesses. Maybe Dan Howe will chime in here... He has been hesitant about putting a roll bar in his car for years but after a wild ride last weekend, I think he's made his mind up to put on in his car now as well.

Project92rs
09-01-2016, 10:14 AM
Of the competitive cars that are winning the class, I doubt you will find one that doesn't have a least a roll bar in it for harness mounting. Many of them run a full cage. Mainly because the drivers of those cars understand the speed they are capable of and the need for adequate safety equipment at that speed. We added one to our car this year after realizing it was capable of well past 100 mph on the road course and the need for safety outweighed any other considerations.

rchaskin
09-01-2016, 10:45 AM
.....but after a wild ride last weekend, I think he's made his mind up to put on in his car now as well.....

Tell more!
I hope he is OK?

SSLance
09-01-2016, 07:07 PM
Dan lost a throttle return spring during the speed stop portion and spun off into the grass... He and the car were okay, just needed a little cleaning up. It could have been a lot worse if a tire dug in though...

rchaskin
09-02-2016, 04:25 AM
Good, Im glad he didnt get hurt.

Accidents do happen fast.

fitzmotor
09-02-2016, 06:06 AM
Ok thanks for the info, I was considering just a minimal bar for the belts, but I'm going to do a 6 point bar now, having not been to one of these events that are based on street cars not race cars, I had no idea to what level the majority of the cars were prepped to.

Thanks.

Rod
09-02-2016, 08:29 AM
Ok thanks for the info, I was considering just a minimal bar for the belts, but I'm going to do a 6 point bar now, having not been to one of these events that are based on street cars not race cars, I had no idea to what level the majority of the cars were prepped to.

Thanks.

go see an Optima event, look at the pro cars at a Goodguys event, go see the top CAM class cars at SCCA, its always best to veiw the expectations .....

fitzmotor
09-02-2016, 05:05 PM
No time to go look and see, I will just plug in a basic 6 point cage, I didn't want to show up to a street car event looking like a race car, I'll finish it up this weekend and move on to the rest of the list of s#!T to do before I can go.

Rod
09-02-2016, 07:05 PM
No time to go look and see, I will just plug in a basic 6 point cage, I didn't want to show up to a street car event looking like a race car, I'll finish it up this weekend and move on to the rest of the list of s#!T to do before I can go.

just trying to help.....

Craig510
09-02-2016, 08:48 PM
There is no worry about a race car at an Optima event. It's getting more and more of a race car with street tires event. Not that I am complaining, I just need to build a new car for it.

fitzmotor
09-03-2016, 06:25 AM
That's how it seems to go, I just want a place to beat on the car and have fun, the guys who show up with the transporters and efforts equal to pro racing teams are the ones most able to be at the top of the charts, good for them, if I had that budget I would do the same, as for me, I will be driving to the event, if it has any issues, call AAA and tow it home.