PDA

View Full Version : Setting up shift points for th350

toofun
11-11-2005, 07:15 AM
I have read a couple of articles and although I am not an expert, I think I have it down on how to set up the th350 shift points. Any tranny gurus please correct me if I am wrong. Basically the shift points are set by the governor and the modulator? using springs and weights. The weights effect the 1-2 gear shift points while the springs effect the 2-3 shift point. Shift points are controlled by the vacuum brought to the modulator from the motor at part throttle and regular driving conditions. So the tranny will switch from 1-2 via the weights and the 2-3 via the springs thru a vacuum translated pressure signal the modulator sends to the governor.

This all changes when you mash on the pedal at WOT. At that point the detent cable is pulled fully out and the modulator signal gets disregarded by the governor. Depending upon how the governor is set the tranny will shift up to the highest speed set by the weights and springs inside it. SO am I right to assume that this is how it works generally? I am guessing alot of fooling around with weight and spring combos is going to be had to find the optimal combo? My tranny shifts way too soon at part throttle and does not kick down fast enough at full throttle if not at all. I want to make my tranny alot more responsive so that it will be better suited to the power band in my motor hopefully making it more fun to drive. Any info anyone can shed on this would be great. Especially on how to set the cable properly.

Thanks In advance.

Mark
TOOFUN