PDA

View Full Version : 77 trans am (2nd gen) seats. corbeau, c7, 5th gen camaro?

Schroeder
08-13-2016, 11:03 AM
There r a couple threads on this topic, but I haven't seen any lately. I was strongly considering the bmw m3 seats that have the integrated seat belt for my 77 trans am, and I still am. My predicament is that I will have a 10 point cage in my car. For safety reasons I believe this warrants a seat that has a 4 point harness or something. I'm not totally opposed to that, but I would love to have a nice, luxury, comfy seat. The car will be street driven 99.9% of the time when it's out, but I do plan to autocross it and MAYBE road race someday. I have the cage for rigidity reasons too btw. I say that just to stress how little I plan to track this. The intentions of my build have changed so much though that I am putting a 10 point cage in because I do not want to strip the car down again to modify the cage when my intentions change in the future again ! So I'm just doing it right this time.

What are your guys opinions? Can I safely use a luxury seat with heat, lumbar, etc? Or am I going to be forced to get an aftermarket racing seat like a set of corbeaus? If I do need a racing seat, what do you recommend for one that will be super comfy for street driving, but still have the harness and be good enough for autocrossing?

Any help is appreciated.

F-Body International
08-13-2016, 02:15 PM
Seems a bit counterproductive to build a 10 point cage and have heavy stock seats and seatbelts. I'd image you want a nice lightweight seat with real harness.

Kirkey is an option that's pretty popular amoung racers.
https://www.kirkeyracing.com/category/Series/Seats-By-Series

Schroeder
08-14-2016, 03:31 AM
The main point of the cage is for chasis rigidity. I am not putting it in for safety so much as I am strength. I plan on having a high horse twin turbo in the car at some point, and again, this time around I'm thinking ahead since my build intentions have changed so much since I I first bought the car.

Is there anything close to what I might be looking for that isn't a HANS type racing seat?

Schroeder
08-16-2016, 07:51 AM
Ttt

BMR Sales
08-16-2016, 08:33 AM
The main point of the cage is for chasis rigidity. I am not putting it in for safety so much as I am strength. I plan on having a high horse twin turbo in the car at some point, and again, this time around I'm thinking ahead since my build intentions have changed so much since I I first bought the car.

Is there anything close to what I might be looking for that isn't a HANS type racing seat?

The problem with putting a Cage in a Street car is #1 Access, #2 Exposed Bars that can hurt you & #3 cars have crumple zones that absorb energy in a crash. When you put a cage in a car, you are stiffening the structure, which puts that energy to the drive. You are going to want a seat that is set-up for a 5 Point Harness

Do you have door bars that would hinder putting a seat in the car?

Schroeder
08-16-2016, 06:08 PM
There will be door bars 10" higher than the rockers or so. Installing a seat with the bars there will be possible.

If a 5 point set up must be used what is a good one that's very comfy for street use? Anything fit the bill?

Schroeder
08-19-2016, 07:29 AM
Ttt