PDA

View Full Version : handle-less doors on 77 trans am

Schroeder
08-13-2016, 05:54 AM
I'm sure a lot of you guys have seen the handle-less doors on the 1971 dutch boys' camaro. How did they make these nice rounded indents in the quarter panels for finger room to get behind the doors when the door latch actuators are hit, so you can open the door? Was this little elliptical piece something made on an english wheel?? How could this piece be fabbed? A simple quick question I would appreciate some help with. I'm just buying into all the custom fab operations.

Here's a link to the car in a super chevy article. There are plenty of pics where you can see the indents in the quarters I'm referring to.
http://www.superchevy.com/features/1607-this-1971-camaro-just-raised-the-pro-touring-bar/

Schroeder
08-15-2016, 11:47 AM
Try

rchaskin
08-15-2016, 12:53 PM
C6 corvette uses this style of opener too.

Schroeder
08-15-2016, 05:34 PM
How would one make such a cut out in the wuarter? It looks like it could be nase with a bead roller.

Is there a button on the inside of the door skin on this camaro or on the c6 vettes? Or do you just push the door open with your fingers by reaching in the little hole?

rchaskin
08-15-2016, 06:03 PM
See this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXPAgjdY_NA

It is like a rubber pad on the backside of the door skin that you squeeze with you finger tips, and it unlatches the door.

AB69Z
09-14-2016, 07:00 PM
I'm also interested to know what parts are used for this

Schroeder
09-15-2016, 06:12 AM
Class industries sells some latches and kits for this. They come with the electronics. no buttons are included for inside and out. I think that is left for the builder to find and install. I was thinking about making a manual release like the c7 vettes have. I would probably put he release at the base of the b pillar near the mini tub area. This isn't a deal breaker though. I think having a manual release means you have to switch the door latch and the striker around- at least it makes it easier I think. A big portion of my question though was how to actually make the cut out. Is it an English wheel part or something? Made with a planishing hammer? It's a sheet metal working question. Does anyone know it the Dutch boys Camaro had an exterior tiny door switch button like this?

amargari
09-17-2016, 04:15 AM
I believe it is done by cutting the quarter and then using a round piece of metal placed in the area you cut out. It's hard to explain without pictures. It's like how you use a pipe cut in half for c-notches in a frame.