PDA

View Full Version : Hello... New from Iowa

TomsResto
08-02-2016, 01:28 PM
Normally I would just lurk on forums, but seems as though this active community appreciates introductions so howdy

Initial lurking indicates I can't post pictures of my ride until I make a certain number of posts so I'll break up the introduction (I'm not a bot, don't currently have anything to sell ;)

My ride is a 69 Camaro that is all restomod, only 10% of the stock body and the frame was stock when I bought it about a year ago... and that's now changing with front clip swap to a Detroit Speed front subframe.

It'd be cool to receive some reply/shout outs from others here in the midwest that are on the forum. I have intentions of running Hot Rod Power Tour in 2017 and it would be cool to coordinate with some folks in the area that might be interested.

TomsResto
08-02-2016, 01:37 PM
From what I understand (based on the VIN) this ride started out life as a green v6 ... but I don't have any pics.

I was considering building a restomod from the ground up, and I quickly decided I didn't want a collector or "numbers matching" ride. I want to drive it, I want to change stuff up on it and not have second thoughts about any of that ... I have full respect for those that stay true and restore, but that's not the route I want to go.

She's now a black/blue/silver (not the easiest to describe, so I'll wait and post pictures) with a mouser Ramjet 350 (not shabby at ~350hp, but nothing by later gen LS powered standards) with a 700r4 (I wanted to go manual but torn miniscus in my knees from several thousand miles on snowmobiles and ATV's doesn't much like repetitive clutch work) and B&M Hammer shifter.

I'll list out more details of it's current form in a list in another reply here shortly

TomsResto
08-02-2016, 01:56 PM
I should clarify that I bought the car driveable and mostly finished, but with an expectation I was going to make some changes ... the first set of which are now under way.

I learned from several years of being the financial backer and lead wrench of my son's ATV Motocross racing "team" that it costs infinitely more time and money to build from ground up so I forced myself to look around a bit and see if there was something in the local area that would get me "most of the way" to where I wanted to be from a restomod build route. I found one, but then very shortly afterwards found out that the builder was more interested in building more "back to OEM" builds for bigger money flips than work with me to take this car to the next level so I'm going to leave out the references to where/how I acquired. If someone really wants to know for some reason PM me and I could probably share more...

As I shared in my earlier post she's under going a front end with Detroit Speed hydroformed front subframe and Wilwood 6 piston, 14" rotors . The front end that was on it when I bought it was a stock subframe with Heidts upper and lower tubular a-arms, cut springs, basic shocks (couldn't find any brand labeling), and basic front disc brake conversion. Worked with a different local shop who has done front end subframe swaps who dropped the setup out in one piece. A quick post on Craigslist and that setup was sold to someone 30mins away who was looking for a complete front end for a project they were going to start that was missing everything up front and I recoup some of the cost of the new setup as planned.

Because I went so big with the brakes I ended up needing to upgrade to 18" wheels on the front and to get exact measurements for the wheels (with intent to go as big up front but no rubbing)... so now I'm wringing my hands in anticipation waiting to get her back with the new front end installed. When the wheels come in then we can hang the calipers, bleed the brakes, front end alignment and I'm down the road. Already warned the family that the first Friday after getting her back I'm gone for at least a 200mile ride with the cell phone turned off.

Down the road I intend to do some interior changes, down the road even further will likely be an engine upgrade (and instrumentation change) but need to let money tree re-leaf and get a good chunk of miles on before any of that becomes more real than a someday down the road set of upgrades.

TomsResto
08-02-2016, 02:02 PM
I'll see if I can post pics yet to complete my introductions and then maybe I'll expand on the introductions with more details of the build and underway upgrades in one of the other parts of the forum rather than doing all that here.

TomsResto
08-02-2016, 02:06 PM

g-machine
08-02-2016, 04:35 PM
Welcome to the forum! I am in North Liberty, IA - are you in the Cedar Rapids area? I know of your Camaro, did you keep the engine that was in it?

George

TomsResto
08-03-2016, 04:29 AM
Cool, good to meet someone else in the area ... I'll PM you

TomsResto
08-03-2016, 04:53 AM

hotrodneb
08-03-2016, 05:05 AM
Welcome...Nebraska here

TomsResto
08-03-2016, 07:49 AM
Hello Nebraska... just did a quick scan through your build thread, and wow.... awesome job!

Let me know if you roll east and I'll do the same if I roll west.

I heard a rumor that Hot Rod Power Tour could start next year where they left off this year (Kansas City) and possible run north east picking up Detroit.

I know a couple other Gen 1 camaro guys that ran the tour the past 2 years and they plan on running next year, so if that's something that your interested in let me know.

marolf101x
08-03-2016, 08:51 AM
What part of Iowa? I'm in Des Moines, but grew up in Moscow (east of Iowa City).

TomsResto
08-03-2016, 08:55 AM
Cedar Rapids (grew up in Dubuque)... I do get down to Des Moines area pretty regularly with some in-laws that live in Ankeny

rohrt
08-03-2016, 11:28 AM
Welcome

Nicks67GTO
08-08-2016, 07:52 AM
Cedar Rapids (grew up in Dubuque)... I do get down to Des Moines area pretty regularly with some in-laws that live in Ankeny

Welcome! Im just up the road in Waterloo

ih8z28s
08-08-2016, 06:04 PM
Welcome! I'm a bit north in Mason City, nice ride!