PDA

View Full Version : Pro Build Shop Parts Left Overs

67z28
08-01-2016, 06:05 AM
What do you Pro builders do with the take off parts from project cars? Whether it is factory parts or aftermarket parts that don't meet the standards of the next phase of a particular build. For instance I know there are times I need original parts, but don't want to buy new because the new parts stick out compared to the aged parts on cars I am working on at the time. There are also those times when someone is looking for a throw back set of wheels or who know what. I do see parts at swap meets and Ebay, but most shops I have noticed typically puts out the new products and does not want to take away from new sales. There are alot of cars getting built and it seems the amount of used parts just are not out there.

dhutton
08-01-2016, 08:26 AM
Not a pro builder but I tend to hoard all my takeoff parts because selling them is a PITA. So many tire kickers and low ballers. Not to mention eBay, PayPal and shipping fees.

Don

BMR Sales
08-02-2016, 08:34 AM
a "Pro" shop should be putting all the take-off parts to the side because they own them. The thing to do if you know that a car is in a shop is to inquire to see if the owner of the car wants to sell them.

An unreputable shop will just sell or throw away parts

sccacuda
08-02-2016, 10:45 AM
a "Pro" shop should be putting all the take-off parts to the side because they own them.

I assume by "they" you mean the customer, not the shop?

raustinss
08-02-2016, 02:16 PM
i would agree ...and assume yes the customer , ive seen and heard of shops around here trying to bogart the parts and hope you dont ask for them back , then selling them hoping to pad the profit margin . i know theyre are some laws here regarding this very topic and im positive the shops MUST give you the option of keeping or giving up the parts

dontlifttoshift
08-02-2016, 02:48 PM
Customer gets all the parts back if they want them. Usually they don't. They don't want the hassle of transporting, storing, or dealing with potential buyers.

At that point the parts get tossed or stored away until the container is full and then off to the swap meet where stuff gets blown out at ridiculously low prices just to move it.

SD67
08-02-2016, 08:20 PM
I am not a pro builder, just a guy putting together one Camaro, which might be the only one I do. The builder that I am working with gives me back the parts and I sell them, mainly on Craigslist and sometimes on the forums. To me, this is part of the fun of the build, buying, selling, changing my mind (I don't recommend doing this often). After buying a stalled project, I have made about half of what I paid by selling what I don't want.

67z28
08-03-2016, 07:36 AM
Not a pro builder but I tend to hoard all my takeoff parts because selling them is a PITA. So many tire kickers and low ballers. Not to mention eBay, PayPal and shipping fees.

Don

I tend to hoard parts also, but I got to wondering where all the parts go. I figured quiet alot gets tossed, otherwise there would need to be lots of storage area. My problem is I always think "someone can use this" but it seems I don't move many of my older parts.

MuscleRodz
08-03-2016, 08:41 AM
I tend to hoard the parts customers do not want back.

CamaroMike
08-04-2016, 04:19 AM

Don

Also not a pro but I agree with this. It used to be fun but for some reason now 99.9% of the time I get lowballed on EVERYTHING! Even if I put "Firm" multiple times people still offer half or less than half of my asking price... Its really annoying

BMR Sales
08-04-2016, 07:32 AM
I assume by "they" you mean the customer, not the shop?

Correct

yellow1098Greg
08-24-2016, 09:02 PM
Just to take a different turn and probably an obvious one....but I never see any used high end parts for sale...ridetech, DSE, anything like that. Believe me...I'm always looking haha. I just would think when someone upgrades or something they would pop up....I definitely would think some of the shops and builders get them quite often

GEARBOXGARAGE
09-02-2016, 07:41 AM
Customer gets all the parts back if they want them. Usually they don't. They don't want the hassle of transporting, storing, or dealing with potential buyers.

At that point the parts get tossed or stored away until the container is full and then off to the swap meet where stuff gets blown out at ridiculously low prices just to move it.

This is exactly what should happen. The customer owns those parts and it should be standard process to give them first rights to them. I always show the customer the parts, some times they keep them, sometimes they don't want them and donate them to the shop as spare parts. If they are useable, we'll either keep them as spares or save for the swap meet.