PDA

View Full Version : Sonoma County Car Guy

ACEFOOTER
11-10-2005, 12:11 PM
Hello Everyone! Sorry it's taken so long to introduce my self. My name is Andrew and my Pro-Touring project is a 1968 Pontiac Firebird 400.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
I traded a 1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon for this 6 1/2 years ago with a sheared pinion gear. The car has very little rust/bondo and has been repainted once. The engine has been rebuilt once with .010 over pistons but I know little else. I pulled the motor to reseal the oil pan and found 1/2 a push rod in the bottom. I got it on the road in early spring of 05 but by mid summer it developed a very slight rod knock, tear down info to follow.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
I replaced the stock alternator and points set up with a single wire alternator and relocated the battery to the trunk using the blue Moroso box. I replaced the broken stock 10 bolt with a rebuilt 12 bolt 4.10 posi I scored for $250 from a buddy parting out his 74 ventura. The trans is a turbo 400 that has also been rebuilt in theory, and I added the Lockar elcectric kick down kit. All the control arm bushings were wasted so I ordered up the complete Energy Suspension Poly kit including body mounts. All steering linkage parts have been replaced with TRW pieces and the stock front sway bar replaced with 1 1/8 Addco Bar. The car came stock with 4 wheel manual drum brakes and I installed front Master Power power disc brake conversion. Rear disc to come and possibly back to manual brakes. The rear springs were broken and sagging badly so those have been replaced along with some cheap Red Ryder shocks to get me by until I can afford some coil overs. Competition Engineering bolt in sub conectors tie the back to the front and rolls on the 15" stock style wheels I got the car with. The interior is rough and I've started to stock pile some replacment parts. The interior will go from all red to a red and black theme and I'm still trying to decide on how https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gifmuch roll cage I'm going to install.
When I got this car I knew it would have to handle and brake as well as it accelerates, but did not know about the G-Machine, Pro-touring movement untill I picked up popular Hot Rodding one day. As you can see from her current stance, I have a long way to go, but look forward to many miles of road and track days!
Future plans include, but not limited to: Stroked LQ9 to get 402 CID(twin turbo charged by Nelson Racing if my Lotto #'s come in), Fuel injection, Tremec 6sp, Global West CatV-Wayne Due C4-or DSE front suspension, some kind of a Multi link rear suspension with disc brake up grade, 17" wheels black in color(got to start some where) and tires (Nitos perhaps), Vintage Air system, just enough stereo to hear over the Flowmaster but not weigh the car down, and a front spoiler in the spirit of the one on 50/50 Camaro. Still working on a name for her, possibly "Inferno" or "Raptor" something in the Fire/Bird theme. As for me I'm just a 40 year old parts guy that luvs everything Mechanicle, married with two kids, two dogs, a cat and three goldfish! Thanks in advance for having me!

ACEFOOTER
11-10-2005, 12:14 PM
retry on the pictures

Ralph LoGrasso
11-10-2005, 01:50 PM
Welcome (officially) to the site, Andrew.

Andrew McBride
11-10-2005, 04:02 PM
welcome to the site! Nice Bird

derekf
11-10-2005, 06:49 PM
Welcome aboard, Andrew.