PDA

View Full Version : Differential identification - need help

Simon J
07-29-2016, 06:31 AM
Hi,
I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, feel free to move it to the right place.

I'm in the process of changing seals and bearings on my axles but I'm not sure what year/model it is. The guy I bought it from (in 2009) told me all the drivetrain and brakes are from a 95-97 camaro. So far I found that my LT1 is from a 95 camaro but where can I find the # on the diff and where can I find the info about that #? I just want to order the right parts the first time.

Thanks for the help!

a67
07-30-2016, 03:59 AM
GM diff ID stamps are on the passenger side tube, the forward face of it. More towards the center section.

If this is your '68 I somewhat doubt he installed a '95 - '97 rear. Although he could have. That rear is a small 7-5/8" and is coil spring sprung. They would need to be cut off and leaf spring purchases welded on. But then again maybe it has a coil over 3-link or such and the rear was a near bolt in?

If the left side of the center section has a torque arm mount cast in, then it is likely a 4th gen rear.

Bob.

Simon J
07-31-2016, 08:35 AM
Thanks a lot!
It is on my 68 and yes it is on leafs, so probably the 68 diff with the newer brakes.

I'll look up the # and buy my seals and bearings.

Thanks again.

Simon