PDA

View Full Version : steering set-up for 70 Firebird with DSE subframe and rack

Alponcho
07-17-2016, 10:41 AM
I'm starting from scratch on steering components for my 70 Firebird with DSE subframe. Anyone with recommendations for a proven set-up? I need everything from the rack up.

Alponcho
07-21-2016, 06:25 AM
Maybe I should focus my query a bit. Does the steering shaft/coupler that DSE sells work well, and can I just order a compatible column and everything else I need from Ididit or Flaming River? Or is there another solution that is worth considering.

carbuff
07-21-2016, 07:23 PM
If you are using a DSE supplied rack and the factory column, then you can just buy the 2 u-joints and a piece of double-D shaft to use in between. I cannot remember the exact sizes, but the rack should be a 3/4" spline and I think the column is either a 1" or 1 1/4" spline. So I bought joints that went from the spline to the double-D shaft and used that in between them.

I purchased a shaft that is collapsable. While it may or may not offer any real projection in an accident, it does make removing the steering for header install much easier.

Note my setup is not DSE, but the racks and column are the same.

I do not remember exactly which brand I used for the pieces, but I want to say it was Borgeson. I think I recall some bad press about a year or so ago on the Flaming River brand. Might want to do some searching here and at Lat-G for them.

Good luck.

Alponcho
08-25-2016, 03:57 PM
Are there differences between Camaro and Firebird columns? The reason I ask is because Ididit lists a retrofit tilt column for 70-75 Camaro and when I asked the tech person if it would work in my '70 Firebird they said it should--but he didn't sound very confident and didn't know if there are differences. Has anyone used one of these columns in their early 2nd get bird and if so, did you run into any issues?