PDA

View Full Version : fabricated fuel tank surge tank ideas

EFIVega
07-12-2016, 09:23 AM
Making a 26x16x10" deep aluminum fuel tank for my vega. It is 5 sided the top plate will be 1 1/2" to 2" larger all the way around the tank to serve as a mounting flange. I've designed my floor to be recessed lower for the tank to be dropped in like the early mustangs. Although the tank is 1 1/2" lower than the rest of the floor so I will have an aluminum plate to cover it All. Now I am ready to design the tank.the original plan was to baffle it with aluminum hinges welded to the baffles to have as trap doors the would open toward the fuel pump to let fuel in but not back out. I think this would work but I had a different idea. If I make another aluminum tank say 10x10x10 and mounted a stock style fuel pump from a Chevy Silverado or Camaro. This box would also have a small flange around the perimeter. Then I would cut the top of the main tank so the box sits in there perfectly. It would be a surge tank inside the main tank.

My thinking is the main tank wouldn't need any baffling at all. I could mounta non EFI tank fuel pump for the lift pump with a short feed line feeding the surge box. The return from the corvette Reg could either go back to the main tank or into the return fitting on the factory pump not sure which I better. Then just an overflow from the box to to the main tank. The bent on the pump and bent on the main tank can be tied together into a remote vent valve from tanks inc that I already have.

Not sure how easy it is to understand. Just basically a sealed surge tank with a Oem EFI pump inside a non baffled fabricated main tank.

What would be a good pump to use for the lift pump to feed the surge tank? How would you go about plumbing the system?any thoughts or ideas. I am a fabricator and experienced in welding aluminum so I can make it up no problem? Just looking for any thoughts or changed man could make before I commit.also the best part is by lifting the aluminum cover in the trunk floor the whole works can be serviced without dropping the tank.

Maybe instead of an overflow line from the surge to the main just drill a couple holes near the top of the surge below the flange( still inside the main tank) the overflow would just come out of the holes back into the main tank I think?

dhutton
07-12-2016, 02:24 PM
I used a surge tank a few years ago but now that you can buy the corner pickups to use the stock 5th gen camaro pumps why go to all that trouble. It is so much easier and one less pump.

https://www.vaporworx.com/documentation/corner-pickups-and-fuel-transfer-lines/

Don