PDA

View Full Version : package tray mods for sub

rockdogz
09-17-2004, 12:21 PM
I'm planning on building a box for the trunk to house a single 10" sub that will fire up through the package tray against the back window. I'm a little bit hesitant to carve the entire 10" hole out of the metal package tray, however I don't think any other method would yield the best sound. :woot: Any ideas/tips?

Thx,

yody
09-18-2004, 12:37 AM
make a frame with some kind of triangle filler out of OSB(i think, whatever the stereo wood is) to reinforce it, you will have to cut out the entire metal part minus some to mount the wood frame, otherwise it will rattle

Martin71RS
09-19-2004, 11:45 AM
I have cut out a large piece of the metal and screwed a MDF board to the outsides. It now houses 2x 10" subs, 2x 5" mid and 2x 2" tweeters.
Sounds great.....and I think it is still rigid enough

(the MDF board is also covered with speaker cloth)

Martin

yody
09-19-2004, 07:28 PM
MDF, thats what i was thinking of!

gmachinz
09-20-2004, 04:52 AM
I would go a different route. I would remove the back seat and trim your backseat brace to accomadate an enclosure to house two 10" subs for example and have them angled towards the front of the cabin. Remember, bass will "move" through soft material like seat foam, etc. and I think that will give you a better feel. I would be advise against having it fire through the tray up against the rear window-it's only glued in and the bass will rattle the seal loose over time-depending on the db level anyway. Nothing like going down the road with your windows downand having a.) the wind pushing from the inside and b.) the bass shaking it loose-before you know it-POP! Look out whoever's behind you! :help!: Now,if we're talking about a 150-200 RMS amp, then there's no worries. -Jabin

rockdogz
09-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Well, I do have a JL Audio 10W7 and 500/1 amp planned for it. However, I do NOT plan to listen to it at loud levels for extended periods of time. Have you really heard of someone popping out their window from bass? (SPL competitions excluded)

gmachinz
09-20-2004, 07:09 PM
I have not personally seen windows pop out, but it's only silicone that seals them-and with all the vibration over time the window moldings themselves will start to make some noise. Ever hear a car with loud bass that sounds as if it's literally falling apart? I don't have a large stereo system in my car but it's amazing the noise you'll notice after awhile. I had noise from my filler panel, license plate bracket, taillights, etc. I managed to get rid of all noise but it took some work! -Jabin

immrtransam
10-16-2004, 11:29 AM
I worked in car audio for a long time and we NEVER cut out a package tray!!! Build your box and mount it securely in the trunk and the whole trunk area will be your enclosure. :seizure:

Radio Joe
10-16-2004, 06:46 PM
I worked in car audio for a long time and we NEVER cut out a package tray!!! Build your box and mount it securely in the trunk and the whole trunk area will be your enclosure. :seizure:

Build a box with the right ammount of airspace for the sub you have and put it in the trunk. You should be very happy with it. One point, make sure you enclose the back of your rear speakers or they will fight with the sub and cause sound issues.

rockdogz
10-17-2004, 10:44 AM
I think I understand what you're saying, but if it's a sealed box, then the trunk isn't the enclosure, right? Should the sub be pointed towards the rear seat?

Radio Joe
10-17-2004, 07:45 PM
I think I understand what you're saying, but if it's a sealed box, then the trunk isn't the enclosure, right? Should the sub be pointed towards the rear seat?

Yes and no... there are 2 airspaces for each box, the inside airspace of the box itself and then the inside airspace of the vehicle you install it in. the airspace of the vehicle should help you determine what type and size box/speakers you should use.

I usually face the subs towards the rear of the trunk. If you build just a basic rectangular box you can experiment with positioning a bit. try it facing the seat, facing the rear and finally facing up towards the package tray. It will change the repsponse a bit so you can better adjust it to your style of music.

CAMAROBOY69
06-22-2005, 03:44 AM
Yes face the subs towards the rear of the car for sure. And here are some of my opinions I posted in another thread. Look at post #6 in here https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7874 for the same answers to these questions in here.