PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions: 392 510hp HEMI or Supercharged 440?

MrAngry
11-09-2005, 07:00 AM
Hi guys -

Need some opinions on some ideas I had for my 1968 Dodge Charger. I have REALLY been itchin' to put more power into the Charger and have REALLY been considering doing an engine swap to the 392 HEMI's when they are released in March - I spoke to a company in Arkansas that just converted a Satellite with a 6.1 Hemi for SEMA and the conversion went great according to them. In speaking with them at length I found that they will begin selling kits for the B-bodys to mate the new 392 HEMI to a Viper 6-speed tranny. I sent him a pic of my car and they said I may be able to be the first client to have this application done. The pro to this conversion would be the power and reliability of a new fuel injected motor with A/C and fuel milleage, the Viper 6-speed and of course the "HOLY CRAP!" factor when you open the hood.

The other option is to keep the existing 440, drop in some low compression pistons and supercharge the *******. I would really have to change all that much as I already have a GearVendors OD unit installed. Obviously the full engine & tranny swap are more expensive, but it would be offset somewhat by selling my existing 440, 727, GV Unit.

I WILL be doing something, just haven't decided on what... whattya' ya'll think? Give me some opinions ladies and gents... I'm all ears.

Cheers - Mike

Steve Chryssos
11-09-2005, 07:41 AM
Go with the new hemi. I also spoke to a company yesterday that is scrapping the limited factory electronics to make big power. Should be very cool and a hell of a lot lighter than the 440.

Travis B
11-09-2005, 07:45 AM
I spoke to a company in Arkansas that just converted a Satellite with a 6.1 Hemi for SEMA and the conversion went great according to them.

was this street and performance?

MrAngry
11-09-2005, 08:34 AM
I believe it was street and performance... I know right off the bat the supercharged 440 will be a lot more powerful than a 392 Hemi, but I am really getting to like the idea of fuel injection and reliabilty, plus the Viper 6-speed would kinda fun.

formula
11-09-2005, 11:05 AM
I, for one, am itching to go fuel injected on my car purely for the reliability factor, plus the new hemi would indeed be very very trick.

Thus I say 392.

4MuscleMachines
11-09-2005, 11:10 AM
I am looking into the same thing but in an e-body. I was looking into putting a centrifugal supercharger on the 6.1 Hemi. You can always do that in the future if you feel you need more power. Have you found if anybody can wire the 5spd auto trans? That would be sick with a paddle shifter.

BRIAN
11-09-2005, 11:57 AM
With the money you will spend on the swap you could have a better combo with your 440. Doesn't Indy make a Hemi conversion? Chrysler has great deals on high HP non Hemi engines.

Everybody raves about fuel injections reliabilty. I have built both and for the ease of tuning and not requiring additional equipment and skills the carb is just fine. There have been countless test in mags and the carbs are usually right there with FI.

The only thing I will give to FI is the ability to adapt easier to the different weather conditions we have in the Norteast. But that is after you have tuned them just as you have to with a carb. To get them running with a modified motor takes just as much time and additional money. A screwdriver and a vac gauge is $20, price out chip programming and test equipment.

Street and Performance is great Co but expensive for any swap as they retain almost all the orig sensors which gets expensive quickly.

Good luck

Travis B
11-09-2005, 12:07 PM
It pretty much had to be street and performance there is not much down here in arkansas lol...they are decent company to deal with! The hemi as steve said would not only have better manors but would be considerably lighter than the 440...either one would be cool. I guess it depends on which way you want to go with the car

kman67rsss
11-09-2005, 12:43 PM
i think the lighter weight of the hemi over the 440 would be neglible with a supercharger on the 440.

MrQuick
11-09-2005, 12:47 PM
392 all the way. HP vs. LBS is enormous. Thanks

Ralph LoGrasso
11-09-2005, 01:24 PM
Mike,

I say go with the 392 Hemi and 6spd. The charger is a heavy car, and that swap will really take some weight off of it. I'd bet the difference between the 392/6spd, and the 440/procharger/727/GV has to got to be atleast 300lbs.

Do the 392/6spd, and if you still want more power for the next time you run into that nsx, you could always spray a 100 shot on it. You should be able to set up a wet kit with all the proper safety measures for under $1500 or so.

camaro608
11-09-2005, 06:24 PM
hemis are cool but go with the 440
thats sweeeet!!!

Bigblue73
11-11-2005, 07:41 PM
Supercharge the new hemi - 500 or so horsepower is enough. I like your thoughts on the paddle shifter. That would make a fun ride. Your Charger probably weighs a little less than the challenger, meaning it's still heavy at 3600 lbs. Will the 392 have the torque to get the car moving. I have not driven an SRT-8 yet, so I can't tell.

-OR-

Stroke the 440 to 500+ inches, procharge it and hang on. I've been impressed with the power that a stroker motor makes and is still tame on the street. The old "No replacement for displacement" thing! It sure would be a lot less complex and less costly. If you want fuel injection, invest the 5 grand (? $$$) in a stand alone system for your big block. I bet it's still less money in the end to stay with the big block.

rickk
11-11-2005, 08:59 PM
hemis are cool but go with the 440
thats sweeeet!!!
good choice .:smoke:
rickk

moparguy
11-13-2005, 12:01 PM
Go with an Indy Maxx block for less weight,Indy 426 Legend heads (save weight there also),aluminum water pump & pulleys,holley rail fuel injuection, and end up with a 572 Cubic inch monster,pump gas and say hello to 10 second ET's with street manners!
What could be cooler than that and would also be killer to look at!
Put the newer style hemi in there and you will get a sorta wow factor, but it will be yesterdays news in about last month.....wont be as fun to drive either.

Oh!, you were saying you wanted gas mileage....Nevermind! :lmao:

Ron S
12-19-2005, 02:41 PM
I'M JUST FINISHING UP A 5.7 HEMI IN A 1970 CUDA RAGTOP,WWW.57HEMICUDA.COM (http://www.57HEMICUDA.COM) ITS REALLY NOT THAT DIFFICULT A CONVERSION. THE BELL HOUSING IS SMALL BLOCK,SO TRANS BOLTS RIGHT UP,HEADERS ARE NOW AVALIBLE.THE ONLY REAL DRAW BACK IS THAT CHRYSLER ELECTRONICS SUCK!I'M RUNNING THIS ONE OFF OF AN LS1 GM COMPUTER AND ELECTRONICS.SEEMS TO WORK REALLY WELL.A FAST SYSTEM OR EQUIVLENT,WOULD PROBABLY BE EASIER BUT PRETTY PRICEY.I HAVE TO SAY,WITH THE LIGHT WEIGHT AND POWER POSSIBILITIES.IT SEEMS TO BE THE WAY OF THE FUTURE.

DRJDVM's '69
01-04-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm debating the same issues. I just bought a 70 Barracuda and have been searching my different motor options. The "modern" Hemi is nice, but they aint cheap. I'm thinking I can build a nicer motor for a similar price. I can buid a Hemi and still go EFI etc without buying a MP crate motor.

I've also been cruising the Mopar boards and there seems to be alot of complaints about the Moper Performance crate motors. Apparently there have been quite a few defects and poor quality control issues with their carte motors. That makes me real nervous plopping down that kind of $$$ on one of their crate motors.

Either way, I plan on supercharging or turbo. Weight reduction is nice, but lets be realistic.... on a street car is it really going to be that big of a factor ??? yes extra weight effects handling, braking etc, but not enough for me to use that as a huge factor in my decision. Its like going small block vs big block chevy....

MrQuick
01-05-2006, 12:12 AM
Yeah I saw your write up on LatG. Congrates on the purchase BTW.
I went through the whole big or small delema in my mind for my 71. In my case its a keeper that I want to drive and a modern Hemi was the choice I came up with.
A 426 would have been nice but they suck for a daily driver and in our sucky weather in California. Go for a 5.7 truck block for better oil filter location and non MDS electronics. The crates are nice cause its a 3 wire hookup. Theres a few 5.7L's floating around ebay. 3 latest have gone under 3k. Keep your eyes out cause they should get cheaper.

Ron S
01-05-2006, 04:02 PM
The new hemi crate engine is cool,but a bit too pricey.I used a truck motor in my Cuda,with alittle notching and boxing,you can run the 45 degree truck oil filter adapter [no need for a remote filter].I love chrysler big blocks,that is all I ran when I was younger.You can score a low mile 5.7 ina boneyard,and with the money you save,get an aftermarket engine management system like Fast,buy a cam and headers and you should be around 475 HP.Thats drive freindly horsepower,no more loading up,fouling plugs, its kinda wild.I also own a 68 camaro with a ls6 in it I do think that the Hemi has as much if not more potential,then anything the Gen3 Gm's have

Rolling_Thunder
01-17-2006, 11:11 PM
hey Mile... long time no see in dodgecharger.com --- if my opinion counts (it doesnt) I would go with the supercharger 440... the 6'1L is also kick-ass but you would be money and power ahead with the SC 440

DusterRT
01-18-2006, 01:00 PM
The new Hemis are ~200lbs lighter than a stock RB engine going by what I've found...

Travis

Bill Howell
08-22-2009, 07:34 AM
SO... what did you do Vince?
I should get my charger with the 392 moving under it's own power this weekend and just thought I would ask.

Blaster11
08-22-2009, 01:59 PM
I vote for a 6.1L stroked to 426 inches with a Kenne Bell Twin screw with about 10 - 12 lbs of boost. Arrington motors seems to be putting together some nice packages for early model stuff...pans, gas tanks, wiring harnesses, pretty much everything.

MrQuick
08-22-2009, 10:28 PM
SO... what did you do Vince?
I should get my charger with the 392 moving under it's own power this weekend and just thought I would ask.
haaa haaa very funny. My car is in Sacramento still.
Well, I got the short block and now heads, had a Viper T56 till that grew legs. Im still waiting for parts to get cheaper. ie: shaker kit, grilles, oh and for my shop to get an opening...the way we are going. Some where around 2012. :)

Please post a vid. These engines ROCK!

Jason's green 6.1L/T56 Demon is insane.

vince

tellyv
08-23-2009, 06:14 AM
go with the new hemi, mine runs awsome!

Bill Howell
09-06-2009, 08:09 PM
We got my car running this week. All worked out pretty well, you know how it is, always an issue or two. One thing I don't like, so far we are seeing about 8mpg....ouch! You can tell the factory tune is really fat, but wow, I can't stand that. Hopefully it will be better before we head to vegas. I know I have a tuner waiting on me there that says he can get the mileage and HP up.

vipercuda
09-07-2009, 06:26 AM
The 6.1 Bell supercharger is awesome on a 6.1 hemi, we can help anyone that would like to do it. We have supercharged about 25 6.1 hemis already. I can tell you 15lbs will make about 900HP and 765 rwhp.

Thanks
Mike
Mr. Norm's Garage
Time Machines

I vote for a 6.1L stroked to 426 inches with a Kenne Bell Twin screw with about 10 - 12 lbs of boost. Arrington motors seems to be putting together some nice packages for early model stuff...pans, gas tanks, wiring harnesses, pretty much everything.

vipercuda
09-07-2009, 06:27 AM
Bill, we will get that pig running great for you. I told you it would be real fat....

Mike

We got my car running this week. All worked out pretty well, you know how it is, always an issue or two. One thing I don't like, so far we are seeing about 8mpg....ouch! You can tell the factory tune is really fat, but wow, I can't stand that. Hopefully it will be better before we head to vegas. I know I have a tuner waiting on me there that says he can get the mileage and HP up.

Bill Howell
09-07-2009, 12:17 PM
LOL Mike. I want to get it right then get me a KB. That would finish the car, just got to wait til I get some more coin.

mdurbahn
09-08-2009, 08:05 PM

dang only 8mpg? is it still efi?

Bill Howell
09-08-2009, 08:10 PM
dang only 8mpg? is it still efi?

Yes, but bear a couple things in mind. Most every mile so far has been WAO or WOT whichever you prefer....haha
We have not be easy on it, we want to know where the weak link is. The factory tune is horribly fat, a tune would fix most of what ails it. I will be driving the car to Atlanta and back this Sunday so we will get a better idea of what the true mileage will be. My wife is going with me so she will see to it I behave.....lol

68Formula
09-22-2009, 04:39 AM
Not sure how much boost a stock 5.7L can handle, but found this yesterday and was wishing I had something to put it in:

http://charleston.craigslist.org/pts/1386026186.html