PDA

View Full Version : I know I'm not the only one

austinjjesus
06-22-2016, 11:06 AM
I know I'm not the only one that wishes good guys would allow a bigger year range on Fridays and Saturdays. I understand that they don't want an overloaded show but I think good guys needs to understand that in our current economy not everybody can afford a 69 Camaro or a 67 chevelle. Especially when we want to continue the legacy of muscle cars, kids will never be able to join in because they can't afford to. So why don't they allow up to 81? Novas, firebirds, camaros, etc are more affordable in that year range and have plenty of aftermarket support as well. Some of us younger people without deep pockets want to run with the big boys too lol

Mr.VENGEANCE
06-22-2016, 02:33 PM
they should allow where the bodystyle fits in.. an 81 firebird and a 70 firebird body is damn near the same..

CampbellshotrodsAZ
06-22-2016, 02:38 PM
I definitely think upping the year thru 81 would be beneficial to many, mainly the F-body and Vette crowd, and won't add too many more cars to cause congestion. Getting into the 80's is iffy... as a 3rd gen owner myself, and the rising popularity of these cars, it would be nice to have them in the show as well, but the drawback is seeing more and more beater 80's cars outside of the F-body/Fox body world. I don't want to sound snobbish, but I don't want a ton of beater 80's pickups there filling the show. You see some more of these beaters on Sunday, but the show here in AZ is about half capacity then, so the extra vehicles are not noticed. I definitely can understand why they are hesitant to change it, but I do think up to 1981 would be a good balance.

austinjjesus
06-22-2016, 02:54 PM
I just said 81 because that's when the F body changes majorly, and I could understand not wanting a **** ton of beaters, a million fox body's and iroc z's flocking around taking every spot at the grounds. I have a 79 Trans am, essentially a 70 Camaro with a different nose and it has to pass smog. I think it'd be beneficial for good guys to make room for more vehicles. More people going, more money being brought in, a better chance to increase the ever growing passion for muscle cars and classics. Or what they could do is limit the amount of newer vehicles to 2nd gen f bodies, pre 79 novas, el caminos, pre 79 c10s and leave it at that. They don't have to let in every post 72 vehicle but some vehicles should have an exception made.

Later-A-body
06-22-2016, 03:28 PM
I agree with your opinions regarding the cut off years at the Goodguys events. I own a 1973 and am not allowed into the venue unless it is an All American Sunday event which allows all years cars. Those AAS events are only at certain shows, not all. But as pointed out, the attendance is not as strong as the Friday/Saturday events, and you lose some of the excitement on the Sunday events. I spoke with some officials at the Goodguys corporate offices in 2010 and addressed these concerns to them. The example they offered was the Pleasanton, Ca. event does not have the capacity to include a broader scale of cars. As pointed out, not everyone can afford the typical '64-'72 cars. I also see no reason to deny an F-body of later years. My 1973 is a well thought out build as are many other post '72 cars, but I am forced to not participate. As the cars get older, you would have to assume at some point the justification for later cars up to 1981 would become more relevant. One thing I do not agree with is being selective on what pre-'81 cars are allowed. I think that would be counterproductive and alienate some later model cars on the basis of what is considered acceptable or not.

austinjjesus
06-22-2016, 04:42 PM
Yeah, alienating might not be the best idea because theres always going to be somebody thats pissed off. But say at Pleasanton do they have a cap on pre 72 cars that they allow to register? Why don't they allow pre 81 and put a cap on registration? You snooze you lose. USCA has a cap on registration amounts. I just don't find it fair that because I don't have deep pockets or my grandpa didn't leave me a 67 camaro ss that I'm not allowed to show up on friday & saturday and try to run against the big guns i.e brandy, hobaugh, the tuckers, maier, etc. I just have to wait till sunday where I get two runs if I'm lucky and they don't mean anything. I want to battle and get that invite to duel in the desert. Who can we contact about this? If anybody?

Tincup
06-22-2016, 05:05 PM
I agree that they should raise the age limit on the cars. Not sure if you guys have been to a GG's event on a Fri or Sat but the average age of the participants is probably in their 60's. These guy are getting old, and if Goodguy's doesn't do something to allow in some younger blood, they are going to die off like their members...

austinjjesus
06-22-2016, 05:14 PM
I agree that they should raise the age limit on the cars. Not sure if you guys have been to a GG's event on a Fri or Sat but the average age of the participants is probably in their 60's. These guy are getting old, and if Goodguy's doesn't do something to allow in some younger blood, they are going to die off like their members...

You said what I was thinking. Yes the gg events does the cones for kids but when that kid grows up how many pre 72 vehicles are really gunna be salvageable? And if they are salvageable what is the price tag going to look like? I would like to think that we want to keep this passion alive, rather than making it a battle of who has the deepest pockets. I think it needs to change before its too late. I would like to hear from a pre 72 autox driver at GG to hear their opinion. I'd like to know if they agree or if they're opposed and why?

nokones
06-24-2016, 04:53 AM
I haven't read the Good Guys rules for this year yet but, I believe the rule says the put-off is 1972 but, if it looks similar to a a 1972, you can enter. So, if I read the rule right, you can enter your 1974 Camaro because it looks like a 1972 Camaro. I wonder where they would cut-off a C3 Corvette? Although, the C3 Corvettes look the same but, there are significant differences through out the years of the C3 Corvettes. The front metal bumper went away in 1973 and the rear metal bumper went away in 1974. Would that make a difference in Good Guys?

If you don't want to pay the big bucks to enter an Optima event, there is the SCCA CAM (Classis American Muscle) program that is taking off well. The entry fee is only $75.00 and you will get at least 9 runs over two days and if you place half-way decent in your class, you may get some additional runs in the Sunday afternoon shootout. You should check it out. SCCA CAM does have a class for modern muscle cars except, for C7 Corvettes and the new Viper.

austinjjesus
06-24-2016, 06:05 AM
It's probably on a case to case basis. I know about the CAM challenge, I'm just greedy and want to run more and more and more lol

struck by Lightning
06-24-2016, 10:24 AM
It's probably on a case to case basis. I know about the CAM challenge, I'm just greedy and want to run more and more and more lol

You can run the three (3) Good-Guys Get-together events at Plesanton in addition to the All American Sunday events.

My first autocross was at a Good-Guys event driving my 2002 Ford Lightning and got hooked. I have since purchased and built a 73 Camaro so I could attend all events possible. I use to question the cut off year as you are now but understand why the rule is in place so, if you can't beat them, join them.

Regarding (when that kid grows up how many pre 72 vehicles are really gunna be salvageable? And if they are salvageable what is the price tag going to look like?) I think it's all relative to the time, look at how many 32 Fords you see at the car shows now and take a look at all the younger (pre-60 year old) builders there are as well, Jimmy Shine @ So-Cal, Gas Monkey, etc. I've attended several of the Rat Rod and Rockabilly events and many of those folks are in their 20's.

CampbellshotrodsAZ
06-24-2016, 10:40 AM
I use to question the cut off year as you are now but understand why the rule is in place so, if you can't beat them, join them.

Agreed. That's a big reason I decided not to put any more money into my 98 Trans Am one day, and invest in my 71 Firebird instead. My 98 never hit the road course or autocross though, it was too tired at 220k for me to run, and I didn't want to rebuild it at pretty much 100% loss of whatever my investment was because at the end of the day, it was still a 220k mile, salvaged title 98 Trans Am.

A ride with Kyle Tucker in Stacy's 69 Camaro was what got me hooked.

austinjjesus
06-24-2016, 07:42 PM
You can run the three (3) Good-Guys Get-together events at Plesanton in addition to the All American Sunday events.

My first autocross was at a Good-Guys event driving my 2002 Ford Lightning and got hooked. I have since purchased and built a 73 Camaro so I could attend all events possible. I use to question the cut off year as you are now but understand why the rule is in place so, if you can't beat them, join them.

Regarding (when that kid grows up how many pre 72 vehicles are really gunna be salvageable? And if they are salvageable what is the price tag going to look like?) I think it's all relative to the time, look at how many 32 Fords you see at the car shows now and take a look at all the younger (pre-60 year old) builders there are as well, Jimmy Shine @ So-Cal, Gas Monkey, etc. I've attended several of the Rat Rod and Rockabilly events and many of those folks are in their 20's.

How can I run the three pleasanton events in addition to the all american sunday events? Are you saying I can run those all weekend? Where can I find the rules to the good guys events?

struck by Lightning
06-24-2016, 07:51 PM
How can I run the three pleasanton events in addition to the all american sunday events? Are you saying I can run those all weekend? Where can I find the rules to the good guys events?

Yes, you can run the Get-together events in Pleasanton. Next one is in November, so come on up and do it. https://www.good-guys.com/events/event-info/2016-events I started auto crossing in my truck at these events in 2011.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/06/256eio9-1.jpg

Zspoiler
06-25-2016, 07:19 AM
Another way to get around their not letting the newer cars is to get with other clubs in the area .And start another car show on the same day that includes Cars up to 1981. And maybe beyond then lets see who last the longest. We had a couple of cruising places up in my area.And the ones with too many restrictions eventually went away.

Project92rs
06-25-2016, 05:42 PM
I haven't read the Good Guys rules for this year yet but, I believe the rule says the put-off is 1972 but, if it looks similar to a a 1972, you can enter. So, if I read the rule right, you can enter your 1974 Camaro because it looks like a 1972 Camaro. I wonder where they would cut-off a C3 Corvette? Although, the C3 Corvettes look the same but, there are significant differences through out the years of the C3 Corvettes. The front metal bumper went away in 1973 and the rear metal bumper went away in 1974. Would that make a difference in Good Guys?

What this means is if you make your 73 look like a 72 you can enter. If it isn't a clone of a 72, you still can't enter the 73.

Project92rs
06-25-2016, 05:45 PM
Another major event block to look at is the NSRA shows. They now have a rolling 30 year rule and are back to having autocross at select events. The next big one is in Louisville at the beginning of August.

In SoCal you also have 4 big autocross events at Fontana with the NMCA Hotchkis autocross. And the SoCal SCCA CAM group is fairly large and active.

Later-A-body
06-26-2016, 09:17 AM
The look alike cars such as a 1973 Firebird, or Camaro will get you in the door because they are identical to the '70-'72's. Mary Pozzi as an example. She drives a 1973. But if you are driving a '74 and up F-body, your not included. It is valid that some people are upset with the idea. So if your buddy drives a '72 Chevelle, and you drive a '73 Chevelle.... well the '73 is not getting into the show unless it's an All American Sunday events. And yes, there are a lot of older guys there on Friday/Saturday, and as pointed out, if the younger guys are not driving the '72 and earlier cars, you will start to see a loss of interest in the GG events as a whole. Going forward, the GG really need to start having conversations with the attendees of these events to get a feel for the need to allow some of the '73 and later cars in, and not just on Sundays when a lot of the luster has rubbed off.

hotrodalex
07-02-2016, 07:12 AM
I personally don't care for most cars newer than '72. No offense, but they're just not as cool or interesting. And Super Sunday is always a big mess, with the new car drivers having no idea what they're doing. Or they show up and think they're gonna be faster than the old cars and leave when they figure out their newer car can't keep up. Some of the events throughout the year allow any American body or engined car to enter. It's usually the smaller shows so that they can boost attendance. But shows like Des Moines and Columbus are so large that allowing the newer cars would make it a gigantic mess. Good luck having a rival car show the same weekend that can attract 3-6 thousand cars plus spectators.

Later-A-body
07-03-2016, 03:01 PM
Yeah all '73-'81 Trans Am's, Camaro/Z28's '73-'74 Challengers,'73-'74 Javelin/AMX's, '73-'81 Corvettes, '73-'77 Chevelle, Grand Am, Can Am, 442, '78-'87 Malibu's, Grand National's, Monte Carlo SS, El Camino's.... etc, etc, etc.
Yeah, I guess once you go past '72, you should just give up on the idea of going to car shows since those cars are not as cool, and people won't like them as much. What have I been thinking all these years??

BRILLIANT!!

Zspoiler
07-03-2016, 07:56 PM
That is the type of attitude that can turn people off .And some would consider snobbish. Yesterday`s Chevelle car club use to not let in 1959 El Camino ,and 1978-82 Malibu`s and El Caminos at one time.Now its one of the largest section.Because that is what people can afford And some are just as nice as the earlier ones.

Quicktrick Gil
07-06-2016, 11:12 AM
This exact conversation is why most guys my age are driving imports. I'm 24. I love all the old American classics, but for someone even in a middle class family to obtain even a chassis that is usable. And even more so, being able to find these cars in certain areas is next to impossible. For my case, being in the midwest cuts the potential cars by 3/4. I'm not here to complain, just saying this is why I drive an 89 Supra. Haha

BonzoHansen
07-06-2016, 06:53 PM
I use to question the cut off year as you are now but understand why the rule is in place so, if you can't beat them, join them.

What is the reason for the cutoff?

Later-A-body
07-07-2016, 02:28 PM
It goes to the bigger question of why the cutoff in many shows across the country. I live in Southern California, and I still see some shows cut off at 1972, but many go to '76, or '81 now. It seems to me that 1972 was the standard year for a long time, and the later cars being less desirable should be excluded. But as the cars get older, and become more expensive, it is a reality that many guys are buying 1973 and newer cars. There are a lot of great later models being PT'd or just restored in general. It does take a little more effort or creativity to make some of these later cars as cool as the earlier cars. I don't mean that in a negative way, just from the experience I have with the car I own, which is firmly planted in the category of "big bumper, smog era" domestic car, but I know my car, and many other PT members cars can be just as interesting, and well performing as any earlier car. The other shows such as Optima USCA, Cam Challenge, NMCA have no year restrictions at their events. It's time for a review of the rules at the Good Guys. I would invite a representative from the GG organization to post some feedback on this thread to get some perspective direct from the source. Let's face it....if we didn't care about the GG shows, we wouldn't be posting these comments. We like your events. We want to participate, and spend our money at your venues.

hotrodalex
07-07-2016, 07:06 PM
Goodguys has obviously looked at including newer cars - that's why we have All American Sundays and weekends... But if they can have a full show with just the older cars, what reason do they have to allow the newer cars in? Of course there's always going to be someone who has a car that doesn't quite fit the requirements, so it seems like attendance numbers are the easiest way to decide if the rules should be changed. Just an FYI, I have heard rumors of slowly moving the age cut-off each year.

If you're just looking for more autox runs, I'd recommend hitting up your local SCCA events. They're much more frequent and just as much fun.

This exact conversation is why most guys my age are driving imports. I'm 24. I love all the old American classics, but for someone even in a middle class family to obtain even a chassis that is usable. And even more so, being able to find these cars in certain areas is next to impossible. For my case, being in the midwest cuts the potential cars by 3/4. I'm not here to complain, just saying this is why I drive an 89 Supra. Haha

I've seen a lot of nice 6 cylinder Mustangs on Craigslist lately. Pop a 289 in there and you have yourself a fun little car for a bit less money than a new compact.

struck by Lightning
07-08-2016, 09:32 AM
What is the reason for the cutoff?

Gary Meadors enjoyed street rods and founded Goodguys after organizing a street rod event in Lodi, CA. 30+ years ago. Here's an article on Goodguy Gary Meadors http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/goodguys-rod-custom-founder-gary-meadors-1939-2015

Goodguy Ed
07-10-2016, 05:23 PM
Goodguys is always looking to improve events and participation in them including AUTOCROSS at the events, but there is a fine line when it comes to that.

This past weekend in Columbus we always here that there is to many cars and the guys in the AUTOCROSS do not get that many runs. If we open the years you will get less runs as there will be many more cars.

The All American Sunday was to open the event to ALL years American Made or Powered cars and it works. We run AUTOCROSS just for those years of cars all day Sunday. We also have three events in Southern Cali that are all years all days.

We could up the years but where do you draw the line in the sand as the Camaro, Mustang and Trucks all have very different year breaks after the 72 year. My thought would be 87 cutoff and then you would cover most groups of the cars that would come to events. There is a lot of cool cars in those years and it could add to the event, but with more cars come less space and less runs in the AUTOCROSS.

Of course Goodguys is always looking to improve and we do listen to what you all say.

Stay tune and come by our SEMA booth and maybe you will see the years change at some events.

Ed

CampbellshotrodsAZ
07-11-2016, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the response Ed, and that's what I had figured. I think it would largely depend on the event, and how full a typical weekend runs. Like in Scottsdale, I know that the show field on Friday and Saturday is typically PACKED, up the sides of the berms, there literally is not any more room for parking. But that is where All American Sunday works, because attendance usually drops off on Sundays. The only drawback to the later years going in is that it's not only Mustangs, A-bodies, and F-bodies, but I've noticed a lot of slammed trucks... not to sound like an exclusionist and a grumpy old man (I'm 30), but they're a different element from the traditional Goodguy's crowd. Even I don't care for them trying to beat one another with who has the hardest hitting subs, I find it annoying.

While you're on the line though, Ed, I've probably got one unrelated suggestion. I think the music can go up another decade in rock, maybe up to the 70's. Give us a little Zeppelin, CCR, mix it up a little! Nothing wrong with the 50's/60's rock for me, but I know it's harder for pretty much all of my generation to get into. 70's rock is more relatable.

Quicktrick Gil
07-11-2016, 10:27 AM
I've seen a lot of nice 6 cylinder Mustangs on Craigslist lately. Pop a 289 in there and you have yourself a fun little car for a bit less money than a new compact.

I'll have to keep my out around for something around here. Indiana is not kind to cars on the long term. Haha I plan on taking the Supra autoxing, and to the road courses. I'll have all the suspension parts within the next week, so it shouldn't be too longer until I'm out on the track.

Later-A-body
07-11-2016, 09:02 PM
Yes, thank you Ed for your feedback. Moving the cutoff year to 1987 would be very generous, and will help include many cool vehicles as you pointed out. Your points are well taken in regard to the autocross events and the high number of cars that attend each day. It sound like some positive changes are being considered for the future GG events in 2017. I also second the music suggestions.

austinjjesus
07-19-2016, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the response Ed, I'm all about moving it to 87 and I'm really glad we got a response from a good guys rep

SRD art
07-20-2016, 11:14 AM
I'm personally more interested in the race portion than having my car enter the show, so I agree that the 72 year cutoff for autocross seems a little archaic. I can totally understand the being overwhelmed with entrants but seems the easy fix as has been suggested is have a limit like many events do.

I for one would love to race my 79 G body Cutlass on the days that the big boys and girls run, so I can compare times, rub shoulders, get some driving tips, maybe get a ride along or invite one of the pro drivers to drive my car for a lap. I've raced several local SCCA races and you just don't get that opportunity there, i.e. insight from someone driving an old school pro touring car is often quite different from someone driving a late model front wheel drive car that SCCA events are full of. I'm fairly serious about my car's performance too so running on Sunday with many folks with no experience isn't as much fun either. Getting beat by the top drivers for me would be more motivating to improve than to beat a group of mostly amateurs in cars that should be beating me.

I like NSRA's idea of having a rolling year cut off. 30 or 35 years old seems fair to me as far as considering a car "old school". Even if the cutoff were 40 years, at least I'd know this year would be 1976 and in 3 years my car would be open to join in the fun.

GG puts on some great events, especially for the scale it must take a lot of planning and hard work to do so, so kudos to everyone involved there. I hope that somewhere in the near future the powers that be can find a happy medium for us guys with the not so old muscle cars to join in for the entire weekend too.

chichirone
07-25-2016, 09:34 AM
Goodguys is always looking to improve events and participation in them including AUTOCROSS at the events, but there is a fine line when it comes to that.

This past weekend in Columbus we always here that there is to many cars and the guys in the AUTOCROSS do not get that many runs. If we open the years you will get less runs as there will be many more cars.

The All American Sunday was to open the event to ALL years American Made or Powered cars and it works. We run AUTOCROSS just for those years of cars all day Sunday. We also have three events in Southern Cali that are all years all days.

We could up the years but where do you draw the line in the sand as the Camaro, Mustang and Trucks all have very different year breaks after the 72 year. My thought would be 87 cutoff and then you would cover most groups of the cars that would come to events. There is a lot of cool cars in those years and it could add to the event, but with more cars come less space and less runs in the AUTOCROSS.

Of course Goodguys is always looking to improve and we do listen to what you all say.

Stay tune and come by our SEMA booth and maybe you will see the years change at some events.

Ed

Ed, the twilight autocross was awesome in Columbus. I was flat wore out by 7:30pm Saturday. Love the concept and idea to extend the seat time and camaraderie. I thoroughly enjoyed the event.

I have been wondering why (and what it would take) for GG's to begin another sub brand catering to the 1973-newer with the same presence of the 1972-older cars. Sure, the people required to run the shows and build upon the already strong GG's brand would be an investment but having a similar schedule coinciding as GoodGuys All American Weekends for the newer gen cars and participants would be a very cool add on to your existing platform of pre-1972, All American Sundays, Get-Together's, etc. This would bring completely different sponsors, participants and age groups to the GoodGuys brand. I am sure there are many counterpoints and challenges to the idea but at least thought I would throw the concept at you.

Jay

PT Sportwagon
08-28-2016, 09:13 AM
Look at NSRA, National STREET ROD association it accepts vehicles 30 years old and older. I do see where Ed is coming from. At the Colorado Nationals unless you get there early sat and sun even Fri. Good luck trying to find a parking place inside on the grass. With adding years parking would be impossible.

Tim

BuickGS
09-05-2016, 05:00 PM
Cruisin the Coast here in Mississippi has a 25 year rolling cutoff. Last year there were over 7,000 cars registered, and many more that don't register, but cruise around. The traffic is insane. In defense of the GG '72 rule, I can see where increasing the cut off year could cause problems with congestion at some GG venues. Another big recession might change things, though.

Now I'll get on my soap box here a minute - The reason you won't get many autocross passes in at a Good Guys event is because they let the "Pros" run so many more times than the "Joes". They start with the pros, end with the pros, and run the pros at the top of every hour! Pros will get 2 to 3 times more runs than anyone else. The last few GG events I have attended, I got 2 runs in the morning and 2 runs in the afternoon. That is it. And if you leave the autocross area to go check out some show cars, visit a vendor booth, or get something to eat....... you better not miss your turn! If you do and try to get back in line out of sequence, they will pull you out of line and park you. You are a second class citizen at a GG autocross if you are not a pro. By the way, if I remember correctly, the pros were originally called "Vendors". I spoke to someone at GG about this last year, and they mentioned to me that they want the autocross to become more of an "event" to draw spectators, and are not really focused on having something for regular members to participate in. Listen to how excited the guy on the loudspeaker gets with his commentary on the pros vs his comments on the joes. Chad Reynolds did a great job of commenting in some way about everyone running, not just the pros. Those days are gone.
My theory on the vendors being there in the first place is that they want to show potential customers what their products can do. In my opinion, the regular "joes" running the autocross are their potential customers. If we stop showing up, who are they going to sell their products to?
I am not bashing the vendors with my comments. We need them there. I enjoy watching them run and talking to them about their products (I run many of their products on my cars). They have always been more than nice to me.
Ok, off of my soap box.
I would encourage guys with post '72 cars to try USCA and SCCA CAM. I have been doing that this year, and can promise you will get plenty of runs in!
I also second updating the music by a decade. Throw in some 70s rock. Not all of us are into the sock hop music and poodle skirts.

vintageracer
09-05-2016, 07:01 PM
Goodguys will change. They like the other show/event promoters will have to if they want to keep their show's and organizations relevant to the younger crowd that replaces the getting older and dying "Baby Boomer's" who created this foolish hobby!

NSRA made the change to a rolling 30 year rule as mentioned in an earlier post. Bitch Bitch Bitch that was all that was heard from a lot of NSRA members when that announcement was made with many saying they would never come back. Those same members who Bitched the loudest were BACK 2 years later driving their 69 Camaro's and other Musclecars leaving their beloved "Street Rods" at home. Just like this year at the NSRA Louisville Nationals more and more 1949 and NEWER vehicles in attendance. That trend will continue to grow. In 5 years NSRA will have the change the name of the event as all the OLD Street Rodder's will be dead or unable to drive their Street Rod!

The interesting part is that the number of cars in attendance at the NSRA Nationals is nowhere near the record levels set in the 1990's but continues to be consistent over the last 5 years. More and More the same year after year attendee's are now driving their newer cars that meet the new 30 year & older rolling vehicle model year rule and are NOT Street Rods . That's the part I think that Goodguys and other promoter's miss that continue to have a 40+ year vehicle model year restriction rule.

Opening up the attendance to newer cars will result in a greater car count overall in the beginning as you will get some of the "All American Sunday" crowd want to come early and participate in the entire event. That will level out over time. You will also get the regular 1972 model vehicle and older crowd who now attends the Goodguy's meets SWITCHING and driving their "newer" model cars that still fall under whatever year limit rule Goodguy's management thinks up.

Knowing Goodguy's there is no way in Hell that they will make the vehicle model year transition EASY for them and more importantly for US the attendee's!

icemanrd19
09-05-2016, 07:04 PM
Im debating about running my car at texas gigues but i dont want to make an ass out of myself or worst yet kiss a wall or kill some cones lol.

hotrodalex
09-10-2016, 08:52 AM
Cruisin the Coast here in Mississippi has a 25 year rolling cutoff. Last year there were over 7,000 cars registered, and many more that don't register, but cruise around. The traffic is insane. In defense of the GG '72 rule, I can see where increasing the cut off year could cause problems with congestion at some GG venues. Another big recession might change things, though.

Now I'll get on my soap box here a minute - The reason you won't get many autocross passes in at a Good Guys event is because they let the "Pros" run so many more times than the "Joes". They start with the pros, end with the pros, and run the pros at the top of every hour! Pros will get 2 to 3 times more runs than anyone else. The last few GG events I have attended, I got 2 runs in the morning and 2 runs in the afternoon. That is it. And if you leave the autocross area to go check out some show cars, visit a vendor booth, or get something to eat....... you better not miss your turn! If you do and try to get back in line out of sequence, they will pull you out of line and park you. You are a second class citizen at a GG autocross if you are not a pro. By the way, if I remember correctly, the pros were originally called "Vendors". I spoke to someone at GG about this last year, and they mentioned to me that they want the autocross to become more of an "event" to draw spectators, and are not really focused on having something for regular members to participate in. Listen to how excited the guy on the loudspeaker gets with his commentary on the pros vs his comments on the joes. Chad Reynolds did a great job of commenting in some way about everyone running, not just the pros. Those days are gone.
My theory on the vendors being there in the first place is that they want to show potential customers what their products can do. In my opinion, the regular "joes" running the autocross are their potential customers. If we stop showing up, who are they going to sell their products to?
I am not bashing the vendors with my comments. We need them there. I enjoy watching them run and talking to them about their products (I run many of their products on my cars). They have always been more than nice to me.
Ok, off of my soap box.
I would encourage guys with post '72 cars to try USCA and SCCA CAM. I have been doing that this year, and can promise you will get plenty of runs in!
I also second updating the music by a decade. Throw in some 70s rock. Not all of us are into the sock hop music and poodle skirts.

I know lots of people who aren't pros but have the same "first class" status. I think it's more about being known in the community than having a pro sticker on your quarter panel.

Goodguys will change. They like the other show/event promoters will have to if they want to keep their show's and organizations relevant to the younger crowd that replaces the getting older and dying "Baby Boomer's" who created this foolish hobby!

NSRA made the change to a rolling 30 year rule as mentioned in an earlier post. Bitch Bitch Bitch that was all that was heard from a lot of NSRA members when that announcement was made with many saying they would never come back. Those same members who Bitched the loudest were BACK 2 years later driving their 69 Camaro's and other Musclecars leaving their beloved "Street Rods" at home. Just like this year at the NSRA Louisville Nationals more and more 1949 and NEWER vehicles in attendance. That trend will continue to grow. In 5 years NSRA will have the change the name of the event as all the OLD Street Rodder's will be dead or unable to drive their Street Rod!

The interesting part is that the number of cars in attendance at the NSRA Nationals is nowhere near the record levels set in the 1990's but continues to be consistent over the last 5 years. More and More the same year after year attendee's are now driving their newer cars that meet the new 30 year & older rolling vehicle model year rule and are NOT Street Rods . That's the part I think that Goodguys and other promoter's miss that continue to have a 40+ year vehicle model year restriction rule.

Opening up the attendance to newer cars will result in a greater car count overall in the beginning as you will get some of the "All American Sunday" crowd want to come early and participate in the entire event. That will level out over time. You will also get the regular 1972 model vehicle and older crowd who now attends the Goodguy's meets SWITCHING and driving their "newer" model cars that still fall under whatever year limit rule Goodguy's management thinks up.

Knowing Goodguy's there is no way in Hell that they will make the vehicle model year transition EASY for them and more importantly for US the attendee's!

The way I see it, the NSRA has seen a drop in the street rod crowd. They've lost some of those attendees. They've partially made up for it with the newer car guys, but that's just shifting the demographics. For me, I'm much less excited to go to a show that allows cars newer than '72 or '73. I simply find newer cars uninteresting. If the 80's cars start to take over, I'm not gonna bother attending. And I'm 22 years old, not an old fart.

Goodguy Ed
10-12-2016, 05:53 AM
Guys, Thanks for the feedback on both the years and the Autocross.

Talk is still going on here about the year change and what events could see that increase and which ones could not. We will be moving the year break to 87 but not sure which events will get that increase and it would not be until 2018 as we have a lot of PR to do so everyone knows and we talk to that group of car guys.
Autocross, please understand the PRO guys have put in the time and travel from event to event with Goodguys and are what we consider the feature of the AC. We try to keep everyone enjoying the event from all aspects spectator and driver and the spectators want to see the PRO guys run often so we do that. The as you refer to as the local Joes we run as much as we can in order and we added Twilight AC to the mix at some events to extend the hours for those Local Joes. There is always a balance with promotions and event logistics and we change to make it better as we can.

Music at events, man I am with you on that and I have discussed it and we should see better stuff for 2017 as we will redo it over the off season.

Other new item:
"Music City Mayhem" 32 car field Autocross Shootout to be held at Nashville for 2017 with $5000 in cash up for grabs. All Race in spots no PRO's or points get you in. We will take the top four right to Scottsdale in the Fall for the Finally. This will run along with the "Duel in Des Moines" that was a great event.

Hope this helps answer some questions.
Goodguy Ed

Bill Howell
10-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Just my .02 and two bit opinion
30 years or older is a great program and number. It keeps the demographics relevant continually. It doesn't effect us old guys but certainly brings in new ones, which is a positive for everyone.

BonzoHansen
10-13-2016, 05:38 PM
Id be ok with a 40 year rolling date. Maybe that is a good compromise.

If it doesnt change they will eventually die off.

austinjjesus
03-01-2018, 08:22 AM
Looks like we finally got what we wanted

qnitro
03-12-2018, 06:55 AM
Yeah, went to goodguys this weekend here at Texas Motor Speedway.. had a good time, the issue is obviously the age groups. You have alot of the retired end, which I think this show is catered too(rightfully so) and how do you start to bridge that gap to our generation(35-55 we will say) The oldsters love the tri-five and chrome, we have a tendency to like the performance and blended machined/billet/powdered/paint look..I think they need to build some more relevant classes, open it up to 87 and below(not just sunday) continue the autocross and all the sorts they are doing now.. patina class, unique FI class.. I dont know.. but would like to see the music change from Beach boys to at least 70's LOL

vintageracer
03-12-2018, 07:19 AM
Its about time you Good-Guys FINALLY came to the realization that change is needed concerning the vehicle cut-off date at your events and changing your woefully inadequate attempt to satisfy the younger crowd with "All American Sunday"!

Because of the above I let my Good-Guys membership lapse several years ago. Same old crap at all the shows so nothing new. NOW there just might be something interesting at a Good-guys event beside the autocross and vendors. Your monthly magazine was the only reason I kept my membership as long as I did and eventually that magazine was not a good reason to continue my membership. Maybe now that might change!

I might actually attend the Good-guys Music City show in my hometown this year NOW that the vehicle year cut-off is 1987 according to your website. I'm an Old Guy who wants to see newer vehicles. I have already seen enough old junk in my lifetime.

It's time to see something new.

It's also time change all that Doo Wop and Surfin Safari Music to tunes that are a little "Mo Modern". Think about it. Guys and Gals that are a BIG part of your attendee's at your events that are 60 years old graduated from High School in the 1976-1977. Doo Wop and Surfin music is NOT their thing. American Grafitti might have been filmed in the early 1970's HOWEVER the movie plot is set in 1962. Time to MOVE ON! Very few of us now relate to that movie and that time. Maybe you consider the music from Saturday Night Fever instead!!!!

Bring on the 70's and 80's!

WallaceMFG
03-12-2018, 07:52 AM
I echo all the comments above about raising the age limit of shows, I am glad that they have done so! I'm looking forwards to the AZ show this weekend purely because there will be a ton of new cars that are cool and I haven't seen before.

As for the Auto X, I think our questions were answered when Ed stated that the Vendors "Are the future of AC". I find this to be completely backwards thinking. The vendors are there to sell parts to us, the consumers. When you take time away from the consumers to promote the vendors, you are making the event into a show-off battle between the vendors. Sure they have lots on money invested in travel, but that's the price of business and advertising at shows like this, not a reason to give them special treatment.

For example, lets say a person goes to a GG autoX event and says, "hey, that looks fun, I want to do that". They spend several thousand dollars getting their car setup and show up an an event, expecting to race their car. In reality, they show up and get relegated to 2nd class because they are not a vendor and make maybe 4 runs all day while vendors get runs every hour all day. How does this make people feel? This doesn't even account for the people that can't/won't pay to build their cars up like the pro cars, but want to run their car and have fun. The autoX is supposed to be for show participants, it should cater to them first. But, GG is more interested in making a show for the general public, hence the vendor bias.

And don't even get me started on how bad the GG AutoX courses are setup... Too many cars ran into concrete barriers, that's why I always push people to SCCA rather than GG autoX.

dhutton
03-12-2018, 09:12 AM
You have alot of the retired end, which I think this show is catered too(rightfully so) and how do you start to bridge that gap to our generation(35-55 we will say) The oldsters love the tri-five and chrome, we have a dendancy to like the performance and blended machined/billet/powdered/paint look..

35-55. Damn that’s harsh Kevin. :moon::lmao:

Don

qnitro
03-12-2018, 10:25 AM
Agree. the Music is annoying at his point.. On a side not driving my 71 Bird on the Texas Motor Speedway track was a GREAT experience, I would like to see much like they have the tri-five group, do a Pro-touring/G-Machine class..Daily driver, PT, home built PT, Shop built PT etc...

Its about time you Good-Guys FINALLY came to the realization that change is needed concerning the vehicle cut-off date at your events and changing your woefully inadequate attempt to satisfy the younger crowd with "All American Sunday"!

Because of the above I let my Good-Guys membership lapse several years ago. Same old crap at all the shows so nothing new. NOW there just might be something interesting at a Good-guys event beside the autocross and vendors. Your monthly magazine was the only reason I kept my membership as long as I did and eventually that magazine was not a good reason to continue my membership. Maybe now that might change!

I might actually attend the Good-guys Music City show in my hometown this year NOW that the vehicle year cut-off is 1987 according to your website. I'm an Old Guy who wants to see newer vehicles. I have already seen enough old junk in my lifetime.

It's time to see something new.

It's also time change all that Doo Wop and Surfin Safari Music to tunes that are a little "Mo Modern". Think about it. Guys and Gals that are a BIG part of your attendee's at your events that are 60 years old graduated from High School in the 1976-1977. Doo Wop and Surfin music is NOT their thing. American Grafitti might have been filmed in the early 1970's HOWEVER the movie plot is set in 1962. Time to MOVE ON! Very few of us now relate to that movie and that time. Maybe you consider the music from Saturday Night Fever instead!!!!

Bring on the 70's and 80's!

qnitro
03-12-2018, 10:26 AM
Don,

You are the obvious exception, you have the heart and body of a 21yr old :)

Kevin

35-55. Damn that’s harsh Kevin. :moon::lmao:

Don

dhutton
03-12-2018, 01:18 PM
don,

you are the obvious exception, you have the heart and body of a 21yr old :)

kevin

lol....

qnitro
03-12-2018, 01:43 PM
lol....

The way you work.. man you are a machine..

CampbellshotrodsAZ
03-13-2018, 03:33 PM
Curious how this will play out. I hope it'll be good, I just know GG Scottsdale always gets jam-packed. I won't be able to make it this weekend unfortunately, too busy on the next project/deadline to take a break.

Though I will echo again since people are talking about it, please, up the rock to 70's era! It's been borderline for the changing demographics anyways, but with the deadline up to 87 along with the younger people that will come as a result, there are even less and less people that understand or enjoy songs singing about lollipops and bubble baths, lol. There are a lot of good 50's songs, but when you're locking yourself into that one decade... a lot of super cheesy stuff makes it through the airwaves.

SSLance
03-13-2018, 04:04 PM
Looks like everyone got a ton of runs last weekend in TX, hope the same works out for us this weekend in Scottsdale.

I'll be there all weekend rocking my 1985 Monte Carlo and I'm REALLY looking forward to it.

WallaceMFG
03-14-2018, 08:47 AM
Looks like everyone got a ton of runs last weekend in TX, hope the same works out for us this weekend in Scottsdale.

I'll be there all weekend rocking my 1985 Monte Carlo and I'm REALLY looking forward to it.

Considering they do a shootout at both of the events we have in Scottsdale, probably not looking good. I'll look for your car though!

icemanrd19
03-14-2018, 10:44 AM
I was able to get 4 or 5 runs each day and more if i stayed late. I expected to see alot more fox bodies and honestly there wasnt alot. Later in the day sat some new cars started showing up on the autocross course. It wasnt over crowded, very well organized, and i had a blast ripping on my car.

O and torchys lost a ton of business. they switched over from fuzzys and weren't even open :thumbsdown

If anyone has any pic of my car from last week please send them to me. Orange 67 camaro

qnitro
03-14-2018, 11:10 AM
Man, I was gonna run my 71 Bird against my wifes 2013 Viper on Sunday, I was there all day Saturday, but when I went out and drank coupled with Daylight savings.. I was screwed in the morning.. Now I am full of regret :)

dhutton
03-14-2018, 01:48 PM
Man, I was gonna run my 71 Bird against my wifes 2013 Viper on Sunday, I was there all day Saturday, but when I went out and drank coupled with Daylight savings.. I was screwed in the morning.. Now I am full of regret :)

Kev, you young pups should stick to puppy chow and leave the hard stuff for the experienced old guys... :lmao:

Don

qnitro
03-14-2018, 02:23 PM
Im left with nothing but regret :(

Kev, you young pups should stick to puppy chow and leave the hard stuff for the experienced old guys... :lmao:

Don

dhutton
03-14-2018, 05:21 PM
Im left with nothing but regret :(

We went Sunday. It was windy and cool. You really didn’t miss that much. Not a single project car worth dragging home.

Don

austinjjesus
01-07-2024, 11:40 PM
How far this has come. I’ll see you guys at Good Guys Del Mar in a 94 BMW w/ a LS come April [emoji23][emoji23]