PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Start Switch

tuff68
11-08-2005, 03:15 PM
I have a 68 Camaro with a 350 and a t56 with a hydraulic clutch setup from Keisler. I am currently using a toggle switch to start the car but would like to use the clutch pedal to start the car. As far as I know 68 camaros only had a neutral safety switch for auto transmissions and nothing for stick trannys. I have been throwing around ideas like trying to find a clutch pedal switch or maybe a hydraulic pressure switch on the line to the TOB. What have you guys running t56s done for this situation?Thanks in advance

GMJim
11-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Wouldn't a neutral safety (clutch switch) from a 69 work?

EFI69Cam
11-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Wouldn't a neutral safety (clutch switch) from a 69 work?

The mounts will not be there. I found this out the hard way. 69 Firebirds had a different setup than the 69 Camaro even. There are at least 3 different pedal brackets that I have seen (I have 3 none are the same)

tuff68
11-10-2005, 07:25 AM
That's right. There are no provisions for the 69 setup. What about a pressure switch on the hydrualic line between the clutch master and the TOB? Is the pressure too high or too low to use one? I was thinking that some vehicles used one on the brake system for the brake lights.

Overkill
11-10-2005, 09:25 AM
I mounted a little micro switch so that it was activated when the clutch was depressed all the way. It's worked pretty good so far.

I have some pictures of it on my website, but I haven't gotten it back online after I moved back home.

Michael

tuff68
11-10-2005, 09:54 AM
How did you mount the microswitch? Did you mount it on the clutch pedal or on the firewall? I thought about a microswitch before but didn't think it could handle the load when starting the car.

rockdogz
11-10-2005, 11:35 AM
What about using a relay with the microswitch? I've been wondering about this too - I'd hate for anyone to get hurt if my car was attempted to be started when in gear.

tuff68
11-10-2005, 12:00 PM
I think we are getting somewhere. Good idea on the relay. I didn't think of that. I am using a Painless Wiring setup. There are places to mount a relay onto the bulkhead terminal under the dash. I just have to figure out how to mount the microswitch. There realy isn't any room to drill mounting holes.

Overkill
11-10-2005, 12:42 PM
How did you mount the microswitch? Did you mount it on the clutch pedal or on the firewall? I thought about a microswitch before but didn't think it could handle the load when starting the car.

I mounted it off of the pedal brace. The clutch pedal hangs out on the left side so it was fairly easy to drill a couple of holes and mount the switch off of it. If the switches can come in various ratings so you can get one that should be able to handle it. I used one from an old nitrous kit that I had. It seems to be holding up to the load.

Michael

tuff68
11-10-2005, 02:49 PM
Where you able to drill the holes with the pedals in the car? Did the switch come with a mounting bracket?

Overkill
11-11-2005, 03:58 AM
Where you able to drill the holes with the pedals in the car? Did the switch come with a mounting bracket?

I had the pedals out of the car when I did it. It might be able to be done with them in the car, but would be hard to do it unless you are a contoursionist. The switch did come with a bracket that was originally intended to mount it off a carburetor stud.

Michael

tuff68
11-11-2005, 02:28 PM
I believe it is a WOT switch with bracket. I'll have to get one and a relay and try it out. Thanks everyone for their input and advice.
Mike