PDA

View Full Version : ebay/Chinese garbage? Or good deal?

Pixel_Punisher
06-10-2016, 01:40 PM
Anyone have experience with these kits from ebay/Pirate Jack/JL Fabrication? Is the quality terrible? Seems like a good deal and I'm on a tight budget. Thanks. It'll be on a '59 Apache with a Nova front clip.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-F-X-Body-GM-Black-D-S-Disc-Brake-Kit-w-Control-Arms-Black-Booster-/162077741543?hash=item25bc9611e7:g:1VUAAOSw3KFWhFI m&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1959-Chevy-GMC-Pickup-Truck-Rear-Triangular-4-Link-Kit-Four-Bar-Chevrolet-/311501821575

TheJDMan
06-10-2016, 02:53 PM
You have obviously not done a forum search. If you had, you would have found that ebay stuff is generally considered GARBAGE! If you are shopping based on price just remember you usually get exactly what you pay for. We have seen it happen time and time again where the ebay bargain is not such a good deal after you have to replace it when it breaks or does not fit or worse causes an accident. Save yourself the headache and embarrassment, buy your parts from one of our vendors who will sell you quality parts and support you after the sale. If your budget is not that big going with someone like Ridetech you can buy the parts in stages as you can afford them.

sheck44
06-11-2016, 02:37 AM
Easy Steve ... don't scare the poor guy away, we Canadians are fragile LOL

OP .. Steve is correct, generally NOT a good idea to go with the Chinese stuff, you'll regret it. If your on a real tight budget then your better off taking your time and sourcing used parts etc. off the forums and Kijiji and build her piece by piece.

Cheers
Steve

hotrodneb
06-11-2016, 03:45 AM
You nearly ALWAYS get what you pay for. I have this same style control arms on my Firebird. They are performing well in normal street driving. All ball joints failed very quickly. I would NEVER expect them to hold up in ANY performance application.

pitts64
06-11-2016, 01:30 PM
Read the e-Bay feedback, that should change your mind... I like UMI..

krom
06-13-2016, 03:56 PM
Some of the stuff is fine. I got a set of chinese a-arms, the ball joints are questionable, and where replaced with moog, the arms them selves are good. That seems to be the consenus.

brackets, and braces are hard to screw up, and almost nothing fits perfectly on 50 year old iron, there is a thread on here from a guy bitchin that his big buck a-arms don't fit

Brake parts are a little tougher. Its actually pretty hard to find good brake stuff. I've been through 5 "premium" napa calipers on my jeep and think I have another one dragging now, I wish the warranty covered labor.
Short of buying brand new calipers for a modern vehicle, at a dealer, or low milage take offs, calipers are a crap shoot IMO. For the price just go for it.

vintageracer
06-13-2016, 06:10 PM
Before EVERYBODY labels all the Chinese parts junk just remember there is also some American made JUNK!

The issue from my perspective actually revolves around the fact that most people buy their parts from "Re-Seller's" (Re-seller's prefer to be called DEALER'S it's so much more official sounding) who want to sell you what they may have in stock or the brand they prefer RE-SELL. They are NOT manufacture's, designers, testers and marketers of these products. They are simply RE-SELLERS'! As such their knowledge of the product is pretty much what they have been told, read or taught.

Look at the EBAY products shown above in the pictures. They sure are Purdy! Just remember that in suspension design a few degrees here or there can make a HUGE difference in performance. So ask yourself these questions:

Who designed these products and what was the goal of the designer?

Were these parts actually engineered or just copied from another manufactures parts?

If they are "Copies" how good is this Knock-off?

Who actually manufactured these parts?

Who tested these parts?

Who actually showed you or anybody that they actually function as designed?

Who has used these parts in competition to show YOU they will not fail and send YOU into the wall?

Where is the description of what the parts will do for YOUR vehicle and the real world results to prove it?

Ask your Re-seller these questions and then throw in some comment about how these parts will effect Ackermann angle. Don't worry you don't know what Ackermann angle is as they Re-seller does not either!

Now look at some of the actually KNOWN manufacturers of this type of parts who actually start their product design with a known goal in mind, engineer these parts, manufacture these parts, test these parts, re-design these parts to make them BETTER and also SELL THESE PARTS DIRECTLY TO YOU and/or through a "Re-Seller"! Look at the manufacturer's I just described who spend their money, time and travel to go to events to PROVE TO YOU that their products work as designed to provide you increased performance for your vehicle all while doing it SAFELY without product failure.

THIS COST'S MONEY, TAKES TIME AND KNOWLEDGE!

That's what you get from a few of the manufacturer's who prove week in and week out that their parts WORK by participating in our events. The ONLY Chinese guys I have ever seen at a PT event were participants just like the rest of us having a good time. Ever see a Chinese manufacturer proving the worth of their stuff at weekend events?

This hobby is all about packages and systems for the average guy. Pick an engineered system or package that will provide YOU with the performance increase you desire for your vehicle and STICK WITH THAT SYSTEM OR PACKAGE.

On a budget? Build you vehicle in steps. To do that you need to talk to the manufacturer about your goals, budget and make plan to purchase in steps. Good luck trying to get that type of help from most Re-seller's!

As many have said "You Get What You Pay For"! The "premium" you think you are paying for good parts is the best money you will spend on your project. That "premium" gives you the knowledge and confidence that you WILL ultimately have a vehicle that will perform to you original goals.

The BIG question is Do YOU have the staying power and budget to accomplish your goals?

It's awful hard to do with no name Chinese or American parts from Re-seller's with no skin in the game who just want to sell you STUFF!

BMR Sales
06-14-2016, 07:59 AM
Other Things to consider;

What are the items made of? Chinese Metallurgy is sketchy at best!

The Coatings typically used in China are illegal to apply in the US

Look at the whole picture - if you buy Cheap Junk and then have to replace Ball Joints, Cross Shafts, Bushings, etc, then how good was your deal?

Buy American! From American companies, that do R&D, Testing, have a presence, are going to be there if you need Warranty.

David Pozzi
06-14-2016, 08:31 AM
www.pro-touring.com/threads/119092-DSE-control-arms-vs-Summit-control-arms?
www.pro-touring.com/threads/119096-CPP-Upper-Control-Arms?
www.pro-touring.com/threads/110378-Ridetech-Truturn-with-other-companies-A-arms?

1965gp
06-14-2016, 06:13 PM
I agree- I work for a foundry in TX competing with Chinese knock offs that don't do the testing or have the certifications (I used to work for the importers years ago and got tired of the scam).

We all want the best value but make sure what you buy is going to be safe.

When you can, support American companies / products / workers.