PDA

View Full Version : Speedtech pro touring frame

rushca01
06-07-2016, 03:43 PM
I was really hoping to go with the speedtech extreme frame but it won't work with my current small block set up and an ls engine isnt in the budget right now. Speedtech suggested I look at their pro touring frame. My question for a weekend road warrior like myself, is will it perform good enough? My thought was to upgrade the spindles to ats and coil overs to ride tech single adjustable. I was looking hard at the Art Morrison frame but with the speedtech discounting their legacy frame I'm really leaning that way since I can't get the extreme frame. Speedtech seemed to think they could offer some steeper discounts when I went to order but with the upgraded spindle and coil over its back in the same range as the art Morison, I'll be it with silver powder coat...

I know there are tons of these this or that threads so please bear with the new guy.

csouth
06-08-2016, 12:48 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't be good enough. I'm assuming this is a sub frame? There are plenty of guys that compete well with bolt-on's using a stock frame. If its a Camaro, Rod Prouty is one I can think of off hand.

TheJDMan
06-08-2016, 06:01 PM
IMO, the only drawback to the Speedtech Pro-Touring subframe is that it is rear steer.

killer69
06-09-2016, 06:30 AM
IMO, the only drawback to the Speedtech Pro-Touring subframe is that it is rear steer.

but what is the draw back?

the owl
06-09-2016, 06:57 AM
What is the discounted cost of the "legacy frame"?

I am a "weekend warrior" running a stock subframe with speedtech'ss arms and chicane kit using viking coil overs. The car can out-drive my skill level for sure.

DJW32
06-09-2016, 07:01 AM
What are your plans for the rear suspension? Have you looked at the roadster shop complete frame?

TheJDMan
06-09-2016, 07:23 PM
but what is the draw back?

As you and I both know, front steer is simply a better design for high performance rear drive road race/auto-x applications. Which is why the new Speedtech Extreme subframe was designed with a front steer configuration. For a more detailed explanation of why front steer is better, ask Ron Sutton.

rushca01
06-09-2016, 07:54 PM
Well after talking to a dealer who sells speedtech, Detroit speed, ame, and ridetech I have decided to keep the stock subframe and install a ridetech level two suspension with their bolt on 4 link rear. Going to add the muscle sway bar, tru turn system, and a new gear box. This should be more than enough for my needs and be about half the cost compared to going with a new subframe.

DJW32
06-10-2016, 03:40 AM
You can't go wrong with ridetech.

the owl
06-10-2016, 07:21 AM
Well after talking to a dealer who sells speedtech, Detroit speed, ame, and ridetech I have decided to keep the stock subframe and install a ridetech level two suspension with their bolt on 4 link rear. Going to add the muscle sway bar, tru turn system, and a new gear box. This should be more than enough for my needs and be about half the cost compared to going with a new subframe.

Very similar setup to what I have, you will like it.

If you are on a budget I would recommend looking at the Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box. Its got a great ratio and you can get a new one for less than $90.

rushca01
06-10-2016, 12:10 PM
Very similar setup to what I have, you will like it.

If you are on a budget I would recommend looking at the Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box. Its got a great ratio and you can get a new one for less than $90.

Part number on the Jeep Grand Cherokee box?

TheJDMan
06-10-2016, 06:06 PM
Ridetech is a great choice. One recommendation, remove the stock subframe and weld it up as outlined in some other threads on this forum.

the owl
06-13-2016, 05:42 AM
Part number on the Jeep Grand Cherokee box?

I'm not sure on the actual part number but its for a 1993-1998 JGC here are some specs I found in a another thread

1994 AL, BT, or PD Jeep Grand Cherokee 12.7:1 20-26 0.195 Dia 43deg 45min

1995 JH Jeep Grand Cherokee 12.7:1 20-26 0.195 Dia 43deg 45min

1996 KD Jeep Grand Cherokee 12.7:1 20-26 0.195 Dia 43deg 45min

1997-98 WK or BT Jeep Grand Cherokee 12.7:1 20-26 0.195 Dia 43deg 45min

killer69
06-13-2016, 09:34 AM
As you and I both know, front steer is simply a better design for high performance rear drive road race/auto-x applications. Which is why the new Speedtech Extreme subframe was designed with a front steer configuration. For a more detailed explanation of why front steer is better, ask Ron Sutton.

Agreed BUT the OP description of his intended use was a street cruiser and with the price point that our PT sub frame has it made a lot of sense.

rushca01
06-13-2016, 12:28 PM
Option 3. Speedtech pro touring frame with ats spindles and ride tech single adjustable shocks with ride tech's 4 link set up for the rear? Thoughts and opinions on this?

Anybody mix a speedtech sub frame with ride tech shocks and ride tech's rear?

sheck44
06-14-2016, 02:59 AM
Option 3. Speedtech pro touring frame with ats spindles and ride tech single adjustable shocks with ride tech's 4 link set up for the rear? Thoughts and opinions on this?

Anybody mix a speedtech sub frame with ride tech shocks and ride tech's rear?

Question ... why would you not consider the rear Speedtech Torque arm ??? Talking to a LOT of guys in the industry that race, they MUCH prefer the torque arm setup

Steve

H8rDave
06-14-2016, 09:07 AM

I guess I beg to differ. "Front steer is simply better" is a risky statement. Rear steer offers some advantages, such as, weight moved behind the front CL, and the improvement of Acreman in the steering. The big drawback is clearance of the pan and exhaust. The only true advantage to a front steer design (IMHO) is clearance. This clearance issue would save the Big-3 in manufacturing and production costs, and at even a few pennies per car, it would add up big-time. As a case, look at Indy cars, no rules, and no clearance issues, and they steer from the rear of the spindle.

killer69
06-15-2016, 06:44 AM
Question ... why would you not consider the rear Speedtech Torque arm ??? Talking to a LOT of guys in the industry that race, they MUCH prefer the torque arm setup

Steve

Yea what He said. also Ask Ron Sutton what he thinks of the Torque Arm.

glr0212
06-15-2016, 09:47 AM

be sure to do your research if you plan on putting 275's or even 265's up front with the tru-turn.

the owl
06-15-2016, 02:00 PM
be sure to do your research if you plan on putting 275's or even 265's up front with the tru-turn.

I couldn't agree more.... It was a TIGHT squeeze to get 265's to work as low as I have my car.

And another +1 for the speedtech tq arm... I have one and its awesome, couldn't be happier.