PDA

View Full Version : When to weld in DSE subframe connectors

Alponcho
06-07-2016, 02:30 PM
My 1970 Firebird shell is on a rack and I'm installing a DSE subframe & suspension so I can make it a roller. Can I go ahead and weld in the subframe connectors to the floor and the subframe now, or do I need to wait until the car is mostly assembled and close to driving weight?

raustinss
06-07-2016, 04:43 PM
I'm not speaking from experience but I'd guess that if you have the subframe correctly located and square to the body ,put them in now. Really can't see why or how any weight would change there location

MuscleRodz
06-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Subframe will pivot on the front bolts and flex the floor pan. We align our sheetmetal with engine install before we weld to subframe. you can install to body most anytime.

TheJDMan
06-10-2016, 06:13 PM
I don't think it makes much difference when you install them but just make sure the cars weight is resting on it's wheels not some jack stands and the car is on a level surface to eliminate any possible unwanted flex. The fact that it is currently on a rack would imply it's setting level so now might be as good a time as any to install them. I would recommend that the subframe be installed so you and use it for reference measurements on the floor pan but I would not weld in the subframe until it was resting on the wheels.

Alponcho
06-14-2016, 05:38 AM
Decided to wait to weld the SFCs to the subframe. Beyond the flex issue, I'll now be able to remove the subframe to finish and paint the underside of the car.

Doug1
07-07-2016, 07:39 AM
You can mount them now because they have a set of tabs that get welded on the end that connect the new connectors and the front subframe. They only fit the floor one way and the measurements are accurate. We did them this way on the TA and they fit great. Get the front subframe back on the car and make sure it's measured up and then weld the tabs to connect the DSE connectors to the front frame.