PDA

View Full Version : ls1/t56 into 69 Camaro swap Question

rob07002
09-17-2004, 09:30 AM
I'm trying to weigh my options and I'm curious about how much work and money it cost some of you to swap a ls1/t56 from a wrecked car into a 69 Camaro. I know there are some companies out there that sell kits but I forgot who the are. I know Tyler has some stuff for the tranny crossmember and clutch assembly. but who else. I guess I'm asking for a grand total dollars wise minus the engine/trans and what type of fab and extra parts I would need. Sort of a shopping list would be great.....Also do I use the ps pump that came w. the motor or custom etc, etc....

Thanks agains boys..

Hoping to repower the car very soon, the stock 327 is soooooooo slow

Nine Ball
09-17-2004, 10:07 AM
if you already have the engine/tranny/harness/computer you will need:

modified tranny cross member
clutch master cylinder (get an adjustable one)
master cylinder bracket (like Tito's)
headers
exhaust system
custom engine mounts for LS1 to SBC pedestals
electric fans
possibly aluminum radiator
shifter
custom driveshaft
electric fuel pump
sumped or modified fuel tank
fuel pressure regulator
supply and return fuel lines
fuel filters (before/after pump)

I'd estimate parts cost would be around $3000-3200 for everything other than the engine/harness/tranny/computer

As for labor, I hope you are doing the swap yourself! Otherwise the sky is the limit.

Tony

rob07002
09-17-2004, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the info.... but what I really need to know is, is there any fab or parts specific to this type of swap aside from the obvious headers, exhaust, driveshaft, fuel sys. etc.... like speacial oil pan, motor mounts, etc..... what about the harness and clutch parts that come with the engine??? I plan on buying one out of a wrecked car and all the ones I've seen come with a harness, computer, pedals, master cylinder and brackets from the donor. Anyone do this????

Also I pose another question:

Do you think in the end its cheaper to go this route or buy a carburated crate motor making sim. hp and buy a DD/Tremec t56???

Opinions valued!!

colt zantop
09-17-2004, 11:26 AM
Im having this done as we speak in a 68 camaro. My oil pan didnt clear so I had to get a different one. my motor was out of a 01 firebird formula. I also went with one of kyles narrowed fuel tanks. as far as the list above....that pretty much covers it.

colt45

Nine Ball
09-17-2004, 05:57 PM
oil pan will have to be modified unless you convert your steering to a front-steer rack/pinion type setup. I did this with mine, and my f-body LS1 pan works just fine with the BRP engine mounts.

You will have to modify the factory clutch pedal (weld a tab on it, notch the support) and you will have to make a throttle pedal that pulls a throttle cable. I used one out of a 99 Camaro and modified it a bit.

You can see pics on my site at www.ExtremeG.net on some of the stuff

Patrolman808
09-18-2004, 05:46 AM
I'm doing the same swap in about 2 weeks. Still have to get a few things. I need PS, and my car has none, so I need to get a PS gearbox and have hoses made up to fit the LS1 PS pump. I found the Steeroids rack/pinion setup in Summit for $900+. Personally, I'd stick with the LS1/6spd because you can find the complete motor/trans/computer etc. for a little over 3K if you look around. Plus you can get better fuel milage and more power.