PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone share their experience with installing Electric Life Windows?

phoenixdawg
11-08-2005, 05:18 AM
I would like to install Electric Life windows in my 1st gen. Curious as to the number of hours spent, results and tricks of the trade. Anything you would do differently if you had to install them again. Thanks.

andrewb70
11-08-2005, 05:48 AM
I have Electric Life windows on my GTO. It was trully a bolt in installation. Do you have some specific questions?

Andrew

phoenixdawg
11-08-2005, 07:50 AM
your existing fuse box or had you already replaced your original. How was the process of aligning the windows. I have heard that can be a difficult chore.

hessdawg
11-14-2005, 09:14 PM
i installed electric life windows in my 78 firebird. just drilled out the rivrts and bolted the windows in. the only thing that was wierd was the instruction pics had a counter spring and the motor i got did not have one. the windows go up a little slower than they go doun but i guess thats how it is...

CAMAROBOY69
11-15-2005, 04:23 AM
What is the price for these in a first gen Camaro???

TEDDYS CAMARO
11-15-2005, 07:31 AM
I also have had electric life windows in my camaro. Very simple installation. I paid about $250.00 for both doors. I highly recommend them.

CAMAROBOY69
11-15-2005, 07:33 AM
T/Y That sounds very affordable if the product is that nice.
Adding to list of goodies I need to buy next year. :)

bretcopsey
11-15-2005, 01:12 PM
If I'm not mistaken, they also have a rear quarter glass kit for another $275. I think the switches and wiring are also separate. But the plus is that is it supposed to be a bolt-in.

I think there was a thread a while back about a gp for electriclife at www.gpsuperstore.com (http://www.gpsuperstore.com)

jg67
11-23-2005, 12:49 PM
Rick's First Generation Camaro also has a 4 window kit using late model motors (whatever that means). Not sure what the difference is between Rick's kit and the one form Electric Life. It looks somewhat different and I am not sure which one is better.
This always seems to happen when I am ready to order something. There is so much crap out there and I always seem to buy it.
Any inputs....

andrewb70
11-23-2005, 01:02 PM
your existing fuse box or had you already replaced your original. How was the process of aligning the windows. I have heard that can be a difficult chore.

My whole electrical system has been upgraded, so I can't comment on how it will work with the stock wiring.

As for window alignment, that process is time consuming, but now hard.

Andrew

John McIntire
11-25-2005, 06:29 PM
good thread, I was thinking of purchasing this kit too. Anyone else have some more info to share on this subject?

Larry Callahan
06-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Anyone have issues with the windows not rolling up all the way in a first gen Camaro? I know a guy that has to open his door to get the windows to go up the last 1/2"

parsonsj
06-27-2008, 04:46 AM
I've got a set for my 67 Nova that I couldn't get to work. I put the manual cranks back in.

jp

BaddestBuick
06-27-2008, 04:56 PM
I bought some fronts for my 70buick skylark. easy installation..no problems at all.. really was bolt on..i liked em' soo much i bought a pair for the rear quarters too

Fuelie Nova
06-27-2008, 07:43 PM
I've got a set for my 67 Nova that I couldn't get to work. I put the manual cranks back in.

Just curious what problems you had and how long ago you purchased them. I just finished installing a set in my 66 Nova and it went pretty smooth. I would like to come up with a way to install limit switches for up and down to drop the power when they are at full open or closed position.
Tg

parsonsj
06-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Just curious what problems you had and how long ago you purchased them.I bought mine just about 18 months ago. I couldn't get the window to go directly up and down. It would bind in the alignment channels because it wanted the back of the window to be higher than the front. I considered altering the geometry to try and fix it, but eventually I just put the thing back in the box and forgot about it until now.

If anybody wants to try them out, I'll sell 'em cheap.

jp

vintageracer
06-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Another excellent power window kit is made by "Nu-relics". Their product is very easy to install and was easy to align.

I believe they are out of NC or somewhere very close to that.

MikeMalibu
06-28-2008, 06:06 AM
I first purchased the Electric Life kit. Wasn't complete and the switches were plastic. Rather than filling in the missing wiring, I decided to buy the Nu-Relics kit. Their switches are made of metal and have the rounded corners ... look identical to 1965 switches. Their wiring harness is complete, including black tape wraping. The kit installed easily on all four windows and the pre-made harness allowed testing along the way. The window alignment on my 65 Chevelle coupe was a different story. Took forever to get the windows to align with each other and the roof weather strip groove without binding in the run channels are falling too quickly. The adjustments are a bunch of compromises. I told myself during the work that I wouldn't do it again, but time has passed now and I don't look back as it being too difficult.

SatisTraction
07-19-2008, 11:03 AM
thanks for the input. these are on my "short list" for the winter :)

jannes_z-28
06-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Anyone have issues with the windows not rolling up all the way in a first gen Camaro? I know a guy that has to open his door to get the windows to go up the last 1/2"

I have just installed Electric Life in my Camaro and I have the same issue. When closing them with the crank the last 1/2 was very heavy so I guess the motors don't have the power to raise them the last bit.

I have them adjusted as before and they was tight so I guess I have to start adjusting them.

Jan

cheapthrillz
06-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Aren't these the kits that Frank (Prodigy) sells? Maybe give him a shout...