PDA

View Full Version : did a search but couldn't find, what size Air compressor?

phoenixdawg
11-08-2005, 05:16 AM
I would like to buy a compressor and air tools, but don't know the best size? Primary use running impact tools for working on the car, don't anticipate needing to paint, etc.

Any brand/size recommendations? I have heard mixed review on Craftsman, some like and some don't. I see more negative than positive.

kamaroman68
11-08-2005, 08:13 AM
I owned a craftsman unit. A smaller one though. 30 gallon I believe. If you intend on using a da sander or cutoff wheel I would say look elsewhere. The cylinder they use is thinner than a coffee can. The piston has one ring I believe made out of brass. When trying to minitub my camaro it died. The ring melted and the cylinder sleeve or whatever you would call it was gouged. They offer replacement parts but I don't really have time dicking around rebuilding compressors. Watch out on there supposed air ratings they say you can run a da sander but the compressor will constanly run/wear out. I now own a snap on unit that will turn on while using my da and will also pump up and turn off without the da losing a beat. Chris

toxicz28
11-08-2005, 03:50 PM
Go big! If you think it's big enough, go bigger! Think of the future. You might not need to port/polish a set of heads now, but later on...... I started out with a 30 gal Craftsman about 11 years ago, because that was all I felt like spending the money on. The next year, I bought a DA sander, impact gun, die grinder, air file, jitterbug sander, and a spray gun. Everything worked but the jitterbug with it. Some tools were more time consuming to use than others. The straw that broke it, was when I got a 50lb pressure blaster. 10 minutes to fill both tanks, one minute of blasting before the compressor kicked on again, and one hour to empty the sand tank at 90psi. It was painfull! I bought an 11hp upright that will empty the sand in 10 minutes at 40psi. What I'm getting at, is get the biggest, most powerful compressor you can afford/ have room for. And stay away from oilless (too noisy) and single stage (too slow)

paul67
11-09-2005, 11:50 AM
If you intended to spray cars you need 14cfm+ with 150 ltr tank to do a good job, thats what I'm running did have a 8 cfm but was only good for panels.
paul67

Ripster
11-14-2005, 06:13 PM
I have the Craftsman Professional 7hp 60gal compressor. I mostly run a sand blaster with it but have also run some air tools sucessfuly. For the price range it was the best I could find. My best suggestion is look at the tools you intend to run and match the compressor rating to the tool requirements. If a tool requires 4scfm@60psi do not buy a compressor with that as a max output look for more capacity. The size of the storage tank will determine how much the motor will run while you were using it.

Rip

jw33
12-12-2005, 09:30 PM
I would get an 80 gallon 2-stage if you can swing it. I have a 80 gallon 2-stage Puma and it should last forever. You might check for a used one in a shop that's closing down. Just make sure it's not a 3 phase motor....

mikey
03-04-2006, 09:20 PM
I've got a big red built for snapon 80 gallon 7hp 27 cfm best $2000 I ever spent. It was basically double the price of a ingersoll rand ect. but it puts out roughly twice the air even with 2 of us useing it I've never had to wait for it to catch up with me.