PDA

View Full Version : 6 cylinder

Ackattack
11-07-2005, 09:10 PM
Has anyone swapped in a 4.2 I6 from a trailblazer into an old musclecar? I was brain storming on what engine to put in an old nova for the wife and I thought this would be a good engine. Checked out some prices on ebay and they're pretty cheap. How does it fit, what kind of problems were encountered?

maybe I'll build it up a little, something like this:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Damn True
11-07-2005, 09:57 PM
That would be super-bad-ass.

Perhaps an turbo ECOtec?

OHCbird
11-08-2005, 11:14 PM
This guy has an N/A setup in his, while I'm doing a turbo similar to John Cunningham's Nova that you pictured. He made 940hp at 15psi, then an est 1300 at 21psi. My plans aren't quite so ambitious (as in my head won't have $3K of man hours into it); I'm shooting more for 675-700hp.

Contact me if you're interested in this- I'm making a few parts for these swaps.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

indyjps
11-08-2005, 11:51 PM
always thought these engines would great for a boat.
OHCBIRD, you got a website or more details on this car.

JMarsa
11-10-2005, 08:36 AM
Check out:

http://www.inliners.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

There are folks in the middle of and completed swaps there.

I was also thinking of this swap, for all the above mentioned reasons, but I seem to recall the weight savings is only about 50lbs over a LSx and given all the custom work needed it would be better for me to go with a LSx based motor. I'm waiting for te new 6.2 alum block to come out.

--JMarsa

OHCbird
11-10-2005, 05:56 PM
I'd say there will be about 50-75lbs savings based on engine to engine weight, but now add to that the fact that there will only be one header, one turbo, and much more room to position the components where they need to be.

My car started as a Sprint 6- so I'm sticking with the whole modernization theme. After evaluating the engines strengths & weaknesses, it was an easy decision. I already have a 68 RS/SS with a BBC, and a 67 with a 383/700R4 combo.

Indyjps- I'm building a new site as we speak (slooooowly). The car should read as follows:
266 CI (3.75 bore vice 3.66), Darton sleeves
Oliver rods / fully prepped crank (the CII above runs a modified stock crank at 1300hp)
Custom cams & Jesel Roller followers
DFI gen VII + TCI trans control
Something around a GT42R turbo, probably a modified GT40R

The chassis is what nowadays is 'run of the mill' PT. TC / Baer brakes, DSE tubs & suspension, etc.

Kenova
11-12-2005, 09:46 AM
OHCBird, just how big are the new sixes compared to your old cammer? Any chance I can trouble you for some dimensions? I've been playing with the idea of stuffing the 5 cyl. into my Vega if it will fit. Eight cylinder Vegas almost sound like a cliche(sp ?).
Ken

OHCbird
11-12-2005, 01:48 PM
O/A, they're darn close. The old Poncho is a bit taller in the middle, while the TB 4.2 is wider up front (sometimes causing hood clearance problems). Weight-wise, the TB is about 70 lbs lighter without all the factory stuff attached- there are further weight savings when using the TB PS pump (alum), A/C compressor (not to mention an easy adaptation to a V/A system). The Alternator is bigger, but that's weight in the right direction (a lb or two). the TB's come stock with either a 130 or 150amp CS-130D alternator.

A 5 should go in a Vega no prob; the oil pan will need some work; but that's a given right now. I'm going to offer conversion pans for the 6 & maybe the 5. We're also making aluminum valve covers for custom venting / oiling, and looks (some guys hate the Zytek nylon intakes & valvecovers).

For dimensions, I'm still trying to eek out the factory drawing stuff from a few sources. They'll be up on the site once I get them all.

All I say is dare to be different!