PDA

View Full Version : Old style iron + aftermarket EFI or LSx

Damn True
11-07-2005, 05:57 PM
In terms of simplicity and cost, what are the pro's and con's of each?

shanekennedy
11-08-2005, 05:27 AM
i've been going thru same debate for my 68.

old style will look better in classic car. other than fuel rails, it should look like original engine. you will still be able to have a sealed connection to a cowl hood. they're cheaper.

lsX is lighter. more people have them, so there's more support. i would bet the lsX gets better mileage.

i have some cost breakdowns on these engines. if you pm me your email address, i'll send it to you.

andrewb70
11-08-2005, 06:01 AM
i've been going thru same debate for my 68.

old style will look better in classic car. other than fuel rails, it should look like original engine. you will still be able to have a sealed connection to a cowl hood. they're cheaper.

lsX is lighter. more people have them, so there's more support. i would bet the lsX gets better mileage.

i have some cost breakdowns on these engines. if you pm me your email address, i'll send it to you.

For the cost of adding aftermarket EFI to an old small block you can practically purchase a low mileage LS1 complete with the EFI system. Let me put it this way and it will be crystal clear. HOw would you like to have:

1. Aluminum block with deep skirt and 6 bolt mains designed for roller cams
2. 15 degree aluminum heads with beehive springs
3. Sequential EFI with composite intake manifold
4. Coil near plug ignition
5. Reusable o-ring gaskets on valve covers, oil pan, front and rear covers
6. about 150 pounds less than a Gen 1 SBC

There are a ton of other benefits, but those are the biggies. In my opinion if anyone that is starting from scratch doesn't build a Gen III or Gen IV sbc, they are nuts.

Andrew

shanekennedy
11-08-2005, 06:42 AM
a new MP EFI system can be had for around $2k, TB EFI even cheaper. i haven't seen any low mileage ls1's for $2k. i've seen high mileage 98's & 99's for that price. & you still have to buy motor mount, pcm mods, harness mods, & mod'ed oil pan, unless you have the tools/talent for the do-it-yourself approach. i'm not saying ls1 is a bad idea, & i don't think you can go wrong choosing one.

4MuscleMachines
11-08-2005, 10:16 AM
For the cost of adding aftermarket EFI to an old small block you can practically purchase a low mileage LS1 complete with the EFI system. Let me put it this way and it will be crystal clear. HOw would you like to have:

2. 15 degree aluminum heads with beehive springs
5. Reusable o-ring gaskets on valve covers, oil pan, front and rear covers

There are a ton of other benefits, but those are the biggies. In my opinion if anyone that is starting from scratch doesn't build a Gen III or Gen IV sbc, they are nuts.

Andrew

I completely agree, I was stuck on old school iron and didn't want to transition into the LSx world. But once you do it and experience it, you will never go back. I even think they look better under the hood when done right (maybe except a nice big block). As Andrew stated, there are tons of other benefits.

PhillipM
11-14-2005, 03:55 PM
I would say that if you want to do an old school injected motor that is going to work as well and have the equivalant horsepower/drivability as an LSX motor it could easily end up costing twice as much as an LSX. (I know my ram-jet did) Of course it all just comes down to what you want.

Damn True
11-14-2005, 06:29 PM

2. 15 degree (http://000info.com/?go=degree) aluminum heads with beehive springs
5. Reusable o-ring (http://0-29.com/?go=ring) gaskets on valve covers, oil pan, front and rear covers

Andrew

Ok, color me sold.

Add to #6 the fact that the 150 fewer lbs are 3" further back in the chassis. Another big plus.

Anyone got a spare bag-o-money?

nitrovette
11-15-2005, 11:50 AM
i was also stuck on old school iron,then went to tpi fuel injection and havent went back,now im building an ls1 .

EFI69Cam
11-16-2005, 09:20 AM
[/QUOTE=4MuscleMachinesMan] (maybe except a nice big block)./QUOTE]

Hmm big block. 540cid big block.

ahowudoin
03-11-2006, 08:05 AM
I can't stand the carb exhaust smell anymore after going efi:jump: