PDA

View Full Version : Wheel paint help

62wagon
11-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Hey guys,

I am inquiring to what steps to take on painting some inserts on a billet wheel. The wheel in question is a Budnik Muroc II. The triangular shaped insert around the kidney bean shaped opening is the area in question. I would like to paint this area for a car I am working on. What should I do to make this work? Has anyone done anything like this and can share some insight?

Thanks,
Mark

Travis B
11-07-2005, 11:43 AM
we painted the centers of a set of Billet specialties just scuffed with gray scotch brite and water cleaned and bc/cc them, they still look great to this day!

62wagon
11-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Travis,

Any kind of sealer/etching primer or just straight base over the aluminum?

Thanks,
Mark

Travis B
11-07-2005, 01:20 PM
well we have done it both ways....a good etch primer or wash primer seems to work better than the straight bc!

62wagon
11-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Travis,

Thanks for the input. I am off to screw up some wheels. Wish me luck!!!!

Mark

Travis B
11-07-2005, 02:09 PM
We have a little motto at the shop for everything we do that is a little difficult and that is

If it was easy everyone would do it....

good luck, I'm sure they will turn out good

J2speedandcustom
11-08-2005, 08:59 AM
We have a little motto at the shop for everything we do that is a little difficult and that is

If it was easy everyone would do it....

good luck, I'm sure they will turn out good

Plus it's paint. If it doesn't turn out sand it off and do it again... :)

gearheads78
05-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Bringing back from the achives. I am about to do this. Any input on how it came out? I want a med to slightly dark gray but not a dark as dark as charcoal. Any suggestions of color codes to look at?

Alchemist
05-20-2008, 09:45 AM
If I may suggest you go to your local automotive paint supplier and look at the color chips from different manufacturers or ask if they have a fleet chart which will have a variety of hues and intensities to select from.

Take the color chart outside in natural light to view the color chips because flourescent lights inside the building will not allow for actual color representation; unless the company uses "full-spectrum" lighting which I highly doubt. Just a suggestion!

gearheads78
05-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Do to time constainsts I am going to cheat and let someone else do it. One of the painters in our body shop does a little custom work on the side mostly small parts and bikes. I talked to him today and he is going to do it for me for a great price.

As for color I was looking at color samples today and found a color I liked on the 1st or 2nd card. I continued looking through about 500 more cards and still ending liking the first one the best. :rolleyes: Looks like it will be Toyota 157 grey.