PDA

View Full Version : Seriously Considering grafting a C5/C6 Front Suspension

Seek&Destroy
04-21-2016, 12:08 AM
My project car is a 78 firebird. I've been considering the feasibility of grafting a c5/c6 front suspension to the subframe. Much to my suprise it "seems" to be more of an atainable goal than that I had originally intended it would be.

Let me explain what I've come up with so far and hopefully I will be able to gain some insight on the subject.

The most notable problem with converting to a corvette suspension that ive been able to dig up is the difference of track width. Usually it is much wider.

Front track width(measured from center of tire to center of tire)
C6- 61.9in
78 Firebird- 61.3in

An important thing to note here is that difference wheel size.
A stock corvette front wheel is 8.5 in wide with a 56mm offset. That's a backspacing of 6.4in.
A stock (or my stock snowflakes) are 8 in wide with a 4.5 in backspace (12-13mm offset,

These figures leave me with a outside of tire to outside of tire distance of
C6:70.4in
Firebird : 68.3in

That leaves me +1in on each side.(outboard)
As far as backspacing goes we have 6.4in. That's too much for a firebird....BUT the things that usually get in the way of of more back spacing, tire rods, sway bars, inner fenders and frame will basically be a vette packaging and therefore stock wheels would fit

Front that point I would mount the suspension cradle of the vette on a jig. At ride height for the vette, build a frame section right over the top to bolt it into. Then I would locate the shock and upper control arm measured to factory corvette measurements.

I would need to mount body & frame of the car as low as possible to the "clip" as to maintain tire clearance and lower the center of gravity.

Any other ajustments to the suspension (spring rate & load, wheel rate, swaybar rate, you get the idea)would need to be made after Ifigure in total weight and tire loads.

I could build the rear to complement it.

I think it would be a bad *** project. It's fits my budget, and I have the time to put into something like this. I belive I have the basic skills needed to do it.

What are your thoughts on this and I'm curious if there is any important variables I could be overlooking.

-ryan

Schwartz Performance
04-21-2016, 03:13 AM
You'll need to shove the engine back in the firewall due to the C5/6 rack position.

Zspoiler
04-21-2016, 08:09 AM
I have a Vette Brakes C-4 Corvette adjustable mono-leaf kit .In my 1979 Z-28 RS Camaro Pro-Touring car. Its something a regular car guy could do. You can use your stock brakes shocks and sway bars. I use Bear Brakes 13 " front and 12" rear with PBR 4-piston calipers.And there might be kits out here.Otherwise you will check with local shops .

F-Body International
04-23-2016, 11:18 AM
Why not consider dropping dropping the body on a whole Vette rolling chassis?

Seek&Destroy
04-23-2016, 09:04 PM
You'll need to shove the engine back in the firewall due to the C5/6 rack position.

How far back do you think? I'm sure I could find a way to relocate it. I wouldn't be the first one. I saw a third gen with a pushrod style coilover and the rack went right up the middle of the control arms. I know alot of the aftermarket set ups are based on corvette geometry.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a Vette Brakes C-4 Corvette adjustable mono-leaf kit .In my 1979 Z-28 RS Camaro Pro-Touring car. Its something a regular car guy could do. You can use your stock brakes shocks and sway bars. I use Bear Brakes 13 " front and 12" rear with PBR 4-piston calipers.And there might be kits out here.Otherwise you will check with local shops .

That just doesn't turn me on! Lol nice car though!

srh3trinity
04-24-2016, 04:44 AM
Depends on which you have more of; money or time. If you have time, I think it would be cool. If you don't, there are so many options for second gens now.