PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Gen Fbody Body mount bolt sizes

Seek&Destroy
04-12-2016, 07:13 PM
I have a set of DSE sub frame connecters & body mount bushings. However, as much as I would like the fancy $100 6 pack of bolts the offer, I need to allocate my budget to the areas of my project that could be more useful. The bolts that came out of the car were in extremely scary shape. I'm suprised they held the thing together! Anyways.

Does anyone know the sizes of the bolts used for a stock height body mount bolts on a second gen firebird. 4 that bolt to the body, and the two on the core support.

Thanks,
Ryan

Seek&Destroy
04-17-2016, 03:56 PM
Incase someone wants to know it's 5/8ths thread diameter, 11 thread count. 2.5in long and 3in long. Ordered a set of flange style 18-8 stainless.(high tensile strength and corrosion resistance.)

I also learned that the stock bolts were grade 5! Holy smokes no wonder mine just about rusted through in the middle!
They are the same sizes one 67-81 fbody and and some novas. I forget the years. Got all 6 and 2 nuts for 12 bucks.

badazz81z28
04-17-2016, 05:49 PM
The DSE bolts are not just replacement bolts in DSE packaging. They are stainless steel ARP bolts and worth the $100. You will be hard pressed to find the same quality, right diameter, pitch, and thread for significantly less money

Seek&Destroy
04-17-2016, 10:34 PM
I certainly don't argue the DSE quality! I've purchased several parts from them and love them! I absolutely want the best money can buy for my car. Which would be DSE's. Acually if that were the case I would buy a full dse frame, maybe the AME rear IRS. Unfortunately when working on a budget you must be frugal. I would rather find an afordable middle ground than not build a car at all.
I mentioned in my last post that I got some new bolts.

Stock bolts: Grade 5(Bad), OER sells a set for $30
Energy suspension bolt kit: Grade 8(Good) $30
My replacements: 18-8 stainless (304) $12(better)
DSE: 17-4 (best) $100

Get' er done
04-19-2016, 07:01 PM
While I am no engineer. I believe that a 18-8 (304) stainless bolt is weaker than even a grade 5 bolt. With the carbon content of the stainless being held to aprox. 0.08% the bolt can not be hardened by heat treatment. I believe this 18-8 bolt is a little harder than a grade 2 bolt. The chart on this link shows the different torque values for a grade 5 bolt and a 18-8 bolt. https://www.conoflow.com/CorporateSite/media/itt/Resources/DiaphragmSeals/Bolt.pdf?ext=.pdf
Is a 18-8 bolt strong enough?
Hopefully the link works, I am new to posting in any forum.