PDA

View Full Version : How do you assemble Taylor LT1 ignition wires?

Samckitt
11-06-2005, 01:16 PM
I wanted to route the wires above the headers along side the valve covers. So I started with Taylor universal 8mm sprial core wires & then had to buy the boots & terminals for the optispark. I must have spent 3 hours or better last night putting together the drivers side alone. The instructions say to out the wire through the boot first then crimp on the terminal. Yeah like that is going to work. No way will the wire slide in that far. So I put the terminal on & then pushed it in. Like i said, I worked on them for way to long last night. I tried silicone lubricant that comes with them, dish soap, vaseline, oil, & nothing worked to let it slide in. I eventually used my drill to hog out the hole some to get it to slip in. Still a pain in the butt. I ordered the 4-180 degree & 4 90 degree optispark boots thinking it will fit better with teh F body accessories. Now I am thinking there is no way I am going to get the wires in there & bend around the 90 degrees. OK gang, surely someone here has built taylor LT1 ignition wires. Is there a trick you have that will make this job easier for the last 4?

Thanks,
Scot

MrQuick
11-06-2005, 10:53 PM
I use WD40 and hold the boot in a way that it is straight.

zbugger
11-06-2005, 11:45 PM
Vaseline works too, and a little patience.

Samckitt
11-07-2005, 03:33 AM
I didn't try WD-40, but I did try vaseline as well as a slew of other lubricants. Mostly the lube was just pushed out of the way. I wondered if I didn't get the boots for a smaller dia wire.....

I'll try WD-40.

Thanks,
Scot

vanzuuk1
11-07-2005, 03:42 AM
I got the boots real warm , that seemed to help. It was still a pain.

MrQuick
11-07-2005, 12:33 PM
are these the boots that came with the wires? if not where did you buy the boots?

CoryM
11-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Those specific boots are a major PITA to get on. Silicone lube is the best thing but even then those ones are hard. On another note, make sure your wires fit well in the factory looms otherwise you will rub the wires on sharp edges and the P/S pulley.
I only use OEM diameter wires on LT1s for that reason.
Cheers.

paul67
11-09-2005, 09:17 AM
Try this get the nozzles that are used on silicone tubes for diy, push the tube through the boot till its wider than the wire cut the end off the tube so the cable goes into the tube and into and out the boot remove tube, after fitting end to wire push back to desired lenght and remove tube, you will need new tube for every plug, should be only pennys to buy.
hope this helps paul67.

gmachinz
11-09-2005, 03:54 PM
"Vaseline and a little patience" hmmm, Allen? What have you been doing lately? LOL Sorry, I couldn't resist. -Jabin

68protouring454
11-09-2005, 04:06 PM
allen, ummmmmmmmmmmm.............. so many thoughts