PDA

View Full Version : MEFI IV Worth it?

hotrod
11-06-2005, 10:30 AM
Looking at the other thread on here about the MEFI IV has me wondering what the advantage would be to updating from MEFI 3 to 4. I have a ramjet in my car now and it runs just fine but the price of $450 approximately for a controller and wiring harness seems reasonable if it actually makes an improvement. Has anyone made this change or know about the benefits i.e. more horsepower, torque, better mileage.....whatever? Also does it use a single O2 sensor?

PhillipM
11-14-2005, 03:49 PM
If you are thinking about making the upgrade I would say go for it. I have used a III with and without the O2 and am now using a IV with the O2 in it from the factory. The biggest thing that I like better about the IV is not only does it include the O2 but also contains a IAT sensor (Intake Air Temp.) which really helps with cold starts and other tunning.
BTW, the O2 is good for about 5 mpg on the highway.

EFI69Cam
11-16-2005, 09:21 AM
If you are thinking about making the upgrade I would say go for it. I have used a III with and without the O2 and am now using a IV with the O2 in it from the factory. The biggest thing that I like better about the IV is not only does it include the O2 but also contains a IAT sensor (Intake Air Temp.) which really helps with cold starts and other tunning.
BTW, the O2 is good for about 5 mpg on the highway.

OS and IAT can be programmed into the MEFI 3.

PhillipM
11-16-2005, 11:53 AM
Absolutly it can be, if he would like to send it out and converted. What is the cost on conversion, and the sensors? It may be better just to sell that one and buy a IV. If you can sell the III that is.

Fuelie Fan
11-16-2005, 12:32 PM
5mpg? Thing must've been running like a pig before

PhillipM
11-17-2005, 11:24 AM
On the R/J 350 I was getting around 20 on the highway with a Richmond 6 and after the O2 I was getting around 26 or 27 on the highway consistently and around 14 or 15 around town under normal driving of course. So it did okay originally, but the O2 really does make a difference.

Fuelie Fan
11-18-2005, 10:22 AM
I wasn't doubting you, just saying that it's extremely rare to see a 30+% improvement, the previous calibration had to be pretty awful in both fuel AND spark (unless you were cruising at 11:1, in which case your eyes would have fallen out by now). Sure you were getting into 6th gear before? J/K

My only real purpose is to point out that, while ram jets specifically may have a calibration issue (and from all that I've read, they do), most people doing EFI swaps should not expect such an improvement simply from adding closed loop unless they are replacing parts that were way out of tune. A well adjusted carb will do better than most people give them credit for.

hotrod
11-18-2005, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the posts you guys. It would probably be cheaper to just go with the IV than to send mine in to someone like AS&M for reprogramming. Where would the IAT go? Is there a fitting somewhere that exists for that on the older ramjets?

Bullshark
12-17-2005, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the posts you guys. It would probably be cheaper to just go with the IV than to send mine in to someone like AS&M for reprogramming. Where would the IAT go? Is there a fitting somewhere that exists for that on the older ramjets?

Hotrod, I too, have the MEFI 3 on my RamJet 502 and am looking to update it. Just not happy with performance being consistant. I do have some data logging / monitoring capability using a beta copy of TTS DataMaster and the ALDL OBD1 cable, which will not work for the MEFI 4. For some reason I get a surge letting off the throttle after hard acceleration. The MEFI seems to be chasing the correct throttle setting.

I am leaning toward an aftermarket ECU like the Accel Gen 7 where you get all the latest capability ( WBO2, sequential, etc.) while still having the flexability for diagnostics, data-logging and re-calibration. The cost would be about the same as a MEFI 4 and Rinda Diacom PC SW and you still can't calibrate the MEFI 4 Just thinking out loud

Bullshark

pushrod243
12-17-2005, 05:53 PM
Bullshark

I had MEFI4 i replaced on my Ramjet502. I also have the Rhinda Technoligies software (if I can find it). I replaced my setup with a FAST XFI and I love it. The Mefi4 still hunted like your 3 does and no way to fix it. I did find a guy who has the software to tune the mefi4 but it was after I switched out mine. He posts on Turboride.com and he says he could get me the software to tune the mefi4. The Fast is sweet though its like I got a new engine. It even sounds different with a proper tune on it.

PhillipM
01-13-2006, 10:42 AM
If anyone is looking for another tuner of MEFI 4's look to UMI also. They are awesome. If you want some proof head to LS1 tech and look at Katech's LS7 that the tuned using a MEFI 4B controller! I think their website is something like umiracing.com. But not sure. Phillip