PDA

View Full Version : Mounting fiberglass panels to car using rivets and epoxy

xboxhaxorz
03-23-2016, 03:16 PM
So i am mounting a 6 pc fiberglass kit to my car, my plan is to use rivnuts with #8 countersunk screws to hold it in place and then use epoxy and http://www.westsystem.com/ss/406-colloidal-silica to bond it to the metal

If this procedure is correct about how far on the fiberglass from the metal do i want to epoxy it, i was thinking maybe a quarter inch of epoxy on the metal and the same amount on the fiberglass

As well how thick of a layer do i want to use

The panels will be attached to the door, fenders and quarter panel and i am assuming i would want to put a bit more on the door panel due to the stress from open and close

This is a DD

I posted a while back and was recommended six 10 epoxy, finally got around to working on the vehicle with everything sanded and prepped now and i figured mixing the resin with 406 would essentially be the same

72BBSwinger
03-23-2016, 04:24 PM
There is panel bond out there now, unless you want the ability to remove it later, kleco fasteners are better for holding it in place for the bond to set IMO.

Dragonfly
04-17-2016, 06:31 PM
I use a lot of epoxy on various projects, including the custom dash on my 70 camaro ,west system is excellent. I like the microfiber for thickening rather than colloidal silica. It he's the same properties and is easier to mix.

astroracer
04-18-2016, 02:22 PM
And be aware the fiberglass will delaminate after a fashion. The sheet metal, epoxy and fiberglass all have different rates of expansion when they get heated up by the sun. You will see the seam as soon as it gets hot enough.
Mark

Phil 68
05-04-2016, 05:41 PM
West is a decent general purpose epoxy.

But.

There are more specialized formulations for bonding to metal, that have better elongation. Which you want, because of different thermal expansion of the two materials.

I like PTM&W's ES6228
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/es6228.php

I'd even say JB Weld would be better suited, and easier to buy.

Both ES6228 and JB Weld are gap filling.

Using West 406 colloidal silica as a thickener can make for a brittle bond.

Phil
www.fastcomposites.ca