PDA

View Full Version : Electromotive question

GetMore
11-05-2005, 08:54 AM
I am planning on using a Tec3R firing the injectors sequentially. I have been told by one tuner that he had a hard time (or maybe he couldn't, I forget) getting the engines to run right with the sequential firing order. He sets them up with some kind of batch fire. (I think it was the four pair method, semi-sequential that doesn't need the cam position sensor.)
Does anyone have any feedback on this?

I have an old distributor that I have cut down and I'm going to put a trigger wheel of some kind and a sensor onto. I just need to find out how much of a "tooth" is required and what sensor will work best. (Then I need to figure out how to put the distributor back together, but that's another issue.)

David Pozzi
11-05-2005, 11:12 PM
I am no EFI expert but have been looking at systems for a while now.
The clamed advantage of the Electromotive system is VERY precise timing of the spark. Use a crank trigger wheel, not a distributor driven one, the timing will be much much more accurate. Electromotive pioneered this concept and holds several patents on it and licsenses auto MFR's to use it.
David

GetMore
11-06-2005, 06:50 AM
I am going to be using the crank trigger, but to run true sequential you need to tell the ECU when you are TDC on the compression stroke. For that you need a cam position sensor.
The cam trigger just needs one tooth and it doesn't have to be accurate, as long as it is seen once per every two crank revolutions.

If you don't use a cam position sensor the system will fire phased sequential and fire two injectors at the same time, just like the coils are set up-one coil fires two cylinders. It's still better than the batch-fire OEMs used to use, firing four injectors at a time.