PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Hood??????

ProTour2V
03-10-2016, 06:16 AM
I looked into Anvil already, they are 4 months out on shipment. I cant do that. I had my alternator fan come apart at 6500 rpm and dimple my hood. Repair and paint will be 1200, so I figured to check out some nice carbon fiber pieces. Anyone know of any other companies that would be a direct bolt on replacement that would be a decent price?

jlcustomz
03-10-2016, 03:09 PM
Another possibly option would be straightening out the bad spot & doing a carbon fiber overlay on your stock hood.
Haven't personally done it yet, but you start out with black colorant in a base layer of epoxy resin (or black primed surface), then a layer of resin setting the fabric in , then trimming the edges & applying more clear resin & sanding till flush & buffing. Some spray automotive clear over the epoxy, since it sands & buffs easier.

That's a quick explanation of average diy method. Google carbon fiber overlaying.
Of course this would be much more cost effective for someone that can do it themselves.

There are not many companies doing quality cf products, true lightweight quality work is difficult & expensive. Many cf products, I think even some from anvil are overlayed over fiberglass, cheaper that way for same look.

chuckd71
03-11-2016, 06:45 PM
Why not buy a $300 fiberglass hood while you wait? Then sell it for $150 on craigslist when you don't need it.
I have a CF and fiberglass Anvil hood and trunk on my Chevelle and they are awesome. Awesome enough to justify what I paid? I dunno, but they aren't CF over fiberglass like a wrap or whatever, the exterior is CF and the underside is fiberglass. I realize that doesn't exactly clarify things but there is a distinction to be made. That said they don't do anything a 3m wrap on top of fiberglass wouldn't do I guess.

dontlifttoshift
03-11-2016, 06:49 PM
Put a bandaid over the hole and wait for the carbon one?

And get an alternator with an internal fan, or at the very least get the fan with the steel backing plate so it can't flex so it doesn't happen again.

ProTour2V
03-12-2016, 09:39 AM
Good suggestions here fellas. It just kills me to have this dent on the hood.

TheJDMan
03-12-2016, 11:35 AM
Call one of those paintless dent repair places like Dent Wizzard, Dent Masters, Dent Doctor, etc.

ProTour2V
03-14-2016, 05:43 AM
It's beyond them.

jlcustomz
03-14-2016, 02:57 PM
Another possible option depending on dent location;;;;;; Installing a pair of carbon fiber heat extractors .