PDA

View Full Version : 68 RS/SS 396 fair purchase price?

Travis104
03-07-2016, 07:56 PM
Hello,
I ran across a 68 RS/SS 396 4 speed 12 bolt the other day. Car has been sitting outside for a long time. It is complete and does run and drive. I didn't have a chance to check it out completely, but just trying to get an idea on value. The car needs floor pans, trunk pan, and probably frame rails. Body doesn't appear to be too bad, but does need some work. Original Muncie Trans and 12 bolt rear. Engine is a 69 396. I don't have casting numbers yet. It does have a tach and console gauges. Interior is in great shape, and has high back bucket seats. They "were" wanting 8k firm for the car, but now undecided about selling. Would this be a decent price on the car since it needs so much? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

SD67
03-07-2016, 09:13 PM
Its hard to make a determination without photos, but I would say anything under 10k would be good for what you described if the rest of it is in good shape. I wouldn't get too caught up in the 69 396, not going to add much value to the 68, especially if you are going to do an engine swap anyway. Now, if that was the original motor, I would fly out there tomorrow with the 8k in cash. Let us know what happens, would welcome some other opinions.

Travis104
03-08-2016, 04:36 AM
I hope to be able to get more information this week, as well as pictures, vin, and cowl tag info if the car is for sale. There was a dent on the rear passenger quarter, by the bumper, that could be fixed, and on the driver's side there was some bondo combing off the quarter and started to rust in behind it some.