PDA

View Full Version : Tanks Inc or Aeromotive

smokenarrow
03-06-2016, 02:14 PM
I am beginning to plan out my fuel system. I am wanting to run an in-tank fuel pump with a return. I am going to route it to a FiTech EFI throttle body on my 400ci Mopar big block. The motor puts out around 630 crank hp. The car had a cell and I want to convert it back to a tank. My question is, would you go with a tanks inc. tank with their GPA series 255LPH pump or a generic tank with the Aeromotive Phantom 340 Stealth pump? Both should do what I want them to do and be reliable. Which would you choose?

Fuelie Nova
03-06-2016, 06:00 PM
I have been through this... if you want a nice setup look at vaporworx. I just finished modifying my tank with Carls setup and it is a nice setup, he is a great guy and will not sell you anything you don't need.
Tom

Rod
03-07-2016, 08:10 AM
Tanks Inc or Aeromotive? tank inc makes the tank for Aeromotive so basically your just selecting your pump difference... I used the 255 walbro pump that came with the tanks inc kit...walbro pumps have been around for years and are used by many manufactures as OEM gear

parsonsj
03-07-2016, 09:03 AM
If you want to have a lot of fun playing with your fuel system to get it working, go with Aeromotive or Tanks...

If you want to get a fuel system that works perfectly from day one, go with VaporWorx.

analyte
03-07-2016, 12:24 PM
Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, but I haven't had any fuel supply issues with my Aeromotive tank. I will admit my sending unit isn't accurate, but the performance of the tank has been great.

At the road course, I usually keep it around half tank since I'm not racing for the gold here. I have experienced a starvation issue on the AutoX track when under 2gal, but I did that just to see where the limit is. I'm pleased.

Kerry

gray86hach
03-07-2016, 12:25 PM
Installed two tanks and both worked prefect from the start. One has 25k on it with no issues

Tim

go-fish
03-07-2016, 01:16 PM
I've priced out just about all the options for my 'cuda. Tanks Inc has the most economical solution for my needs (650 hp at the crank). Having a Rick's tank sure would be neat and I understand that some of the ones here recommending them are personal friends of Rick's and can vouch for his professionalism and friendliness but dollars to doughnuts the Tank's Inc will be just as good in most applications and will be more than $1,000 cheaper. Rick's also has limited Mopar applications and I am pleased that Tanks Inc has an E-body tank, and many other Mopar apps, and will utilize the existing tank straps and fuel filler locations.

parsonsj
03-07-2016, 01:26 PM
To be clear: I'm not advocating a Rick's Tank. VaporWorx is not the same as Rick's.

http://www.vaporworx.com

Mr Nick
03-07-2016, 04:56 PM
I have the Tanks Inc. EFI tank, along with their drop in pump/bucket module. Installing that thing is a pain in the butt. For that reason alone, I wish I had the Aeromotive Stealth set-up with their pre-installed pump and fuel level sender. However, the Aeromotive option was not available at the time.

Nicks67GTO
03-07-2016, 06:26 PM
If you want to have a lot of fun playing with your fuel system to get it working, go with Aeromotive or Tanks...

If you want to get a fuel system that works perfectly from day one, go with VaporWorx.

Just curious what the problems are with the Tanks Inc setup. I haven't heard anything bad yet?

parsonsj
03-07-2016, 06:36 PM
Here's some examples of issues:

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/115321-Aeromotive-Stealth-Fuel-tank-issues?

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/117694-Fuel-Pressure-drops-in-LONG-left-turns

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/107062-Fuel-pressure-heat-issue-Aeromotive-stealth-tank

Nicks67GTO
03-07-2016, 06:54 PM
To be fair those are Aeromotive issues. I have looked for tanks inc issues and couldn't find much of anything other than a leaky gasket which was solved by making your own and sealing it with Avation sealer.

Mr Nick
03-07-2016, 07:09 PM
To be fair those are Aeromotive issues. I have looked for tanks inc issues and couldn't find much of anything other than a leaky gasket which was solved by making your own and sealing it with Avation sealer.

I used their supplied gasket and aviation sealer, and it leaked. Are people using a different type of gasket material and aviation sealer with success? If so, what kind of gasket?

Because of the leaking gasket, I never fill the tank all the way.

Nicks67GTO
03-07-2016, 08:02 PM
I was told by AndrewB70 on here to make a cork gasket and use Avation sealer. It sounded like it fixed his. Mine won't be fired up for another month

Schwartz Performance
03-07-2016, 08:35 PM
Hmm, never heard of the leaking problems. We've done a lot of installs.

-Dale

parsonsj
03-08-2016, 07:27 AM
To be fair those are Aeromotive issues.

and...

Tanks Inc or Aeromotive? tank inc makes the tank for Aeromotive so basically your just selecting your pump difference...

The vapor lock, cavitation, and heating issues are related to the pump, which is why I'm such an advocate for VaporWorx. VaporWorx uses late-model Camaro or Cadillac fuel modules that solve vapor lock and and heating problems in an elegant way and with a setup that can support big horsepower.

VaporWorx is the Easy Button of fuel systems.

Rod
03-08-2016, 08:19 AM
I personally used the Tanks.inc notched corner set up...here my first hand use of the product

its a little deeper than stock and the same width as factory

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2014/09/fueltank5_zpsa23625ba-1.jpg

I used their complete kit and installed there pump, secondary baffle and fuel level sender, all is very straight forward you just measure the depth of the tank and cut the mounting bracket on the pump and on the sender to the measurements stated in the directions for that depth tank....done!.. not rocket science...measure about 100 times and write it down so you dont mix up the dimensions

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2014/09/fueltank6_zps79d4feac-1.jpg

I simply ran a bypass regulator and filter directly off the pump. this allows the pump to run as needed and I only have one line to the engine

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2014/10/tank1_zps3b44e8f6-1.jpg

I have run the setup without issue now for 3 years of autocross, track time, optima and SCCA events

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2015/07/11080768_679643078807918_281295747949237-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2015/11/plain20jane20spectre_zps7ceyktmj-1.jpeg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2015/07/zzzzz_zpsbfx4pllv-1.jpg

thats my info, like anything else I'm sure the newest stuff is better than 5 year old stuff, such is the game with any good product it gets better, I have had ZERO issues

I hate pissing matches, mines best, no mine is best, NO mine is best....... lets just get some real info together......tell the OP what you use and how its worked and what you do with the car

parsonsj
03-08-2016, 09:17 AM
tell the OP what you use and how its worked and what you do with the carI've talked with a lot of car guys out there about their fuel systems. I used to do it nearly every day as part of my (now sold) fuel vent business. The vapor lock, heating, and cavitation issues came up again and again.

As far as my personal experience, I've used VaporWorx systems on the last 6 vehicles that I've built or for which I supplied a fuel system. 3 Camaros, an El Camino, a 32 Ford (I built the whole fuel system including the tank), and a 63 Impala. All work great: perfect fuel pressure and zero tuning or fuel issues.

I think it's obvious that VaporWorx is the best system... what we may be disagreeing about is value: what is an adequate system, or what is the least expensive system that will support what I want to do with my car.

As a car builder, one of the least appetizing kind of come-back is for fuel issues. I want to put a fuel system in the car that will work perfectly, in all situations, for a very long time. I humbly realize there may be other solutions out there with those characteristics, but I submit that something based on late-model OEM gear has the highest probability of meeting most hot-rodder's needs.

Maybe it's just me. :) :cheers:

dontlifttoshift
03-08-2016, 09:55 AM
I've used all of them, they are all great, some are better than others.

18 posts and no one has asked about intended usage? What about the OPs capabilities? John and I can both weld and fabricate and build just about anything we want, adapting a VaporWorx setup to a Henway is within our capabilites. If the OP is working in a carport in Canucktistan with a HomeDepot tool set, that may help determine what fuel system is right for him.

VaporWorx is a great set up and without a doubt the finest fuel delivery system available for our cars, but I wouldn't invest the money for a cruise night car. Rod's experience demonstrates that the Tanks setup will work in that environment but it wouldn't be my first choice for that sort of car.

Everything depends on everything else and there is no single right answer all of the time. Sort of like shocks, or tires, or seats, or fuel injection setups, etc.......

parsonsj
03-08-2016, 10:34 AM
Everything depends on everything else and there is no single right answer all of the time. Sort of like shocks, or tires, or seats, or fuel injection setups, etc.......Well put! And you're right, I want and install systems to cover all possible usage. For simple cruiser cars, VW solves problems they may never have.

Rod
03-08-2016, 11:18 AM
vapor lock, heating, and cavitation issues came up again and again.

funny you say that because I hear that question also!.. but I have never had that on any car built in the collection?? but I have folks ask me also.....

I really cant answer that, for our cars, I had vapor lock on the shop tow rig under load with a HUGE azz trailer

guess i have just been lucky

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2015/02/unnamed20a_zpssdqlt7s9-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2015/02/unnamed_zpsiuyjyp5g-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/02/f_zpsftydrc1w-1.jpg

CarlC
03-09-2016, 07:49 AM
As eloquently mentioned, there are options for just about everything, including fuel tanks and pumps. What's right for some may not be for others.

The reason VaporWorx was started was due to the frustrations of poor fuel delivery at low fuel levels and the subsequent failing of two pumps. Just yesterday a new customer is changing his tank over to a VaporWorx design for the same reason.

Another aspect to all of this is the hassle factor. There seems to be some folks that have difficulties with Brand X, and some that do not. If the pump fails, insufficient fuel delivery, etc. cause a pump or tank change, what is that worth in time and materials?

In other words, how many folks out there have a VaporWorx fueling solution that has not worked? What is that worth long-term in regards to labor, materials, and the driving reliability factor?

FASTURN
05-25-2016, 11:18 AM
Is Rodney using a carburetor? The reason I ask is I really like his regulator/ filter setup and he states it is a "bypass reg." I am installing tanks setup tonight in my 70 Challenger with a carb. After seeing his setup I would like to do that if it works with a carb setup.

SSLance
05-25-2016, 12:16 PM
Yes, he has a carb setup.

FASTURN
05-25-2016, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the quick replay Lance. You must keep track of everybody! LOL. How is your season going? Where is your next race?

SSLance
05-25-2016, 01:19 PM
Pretty good so far, new motor makes great power...need better tires. Not sure where I'm going next, my two big ones for the year are already done.

Might make some more changes to the car now and just hit some local autocrosses for now to test n tune them.

hifi875
05-26-2016, 08:39 AM
I dont understand why Tanks doesnt just presassemble the sending unit and pump. It may cost a few extra bucks but i didn't really enjoy having to do that part. I measured and measured and my fuel gauge which was balls on dead accurate(auto meter) with stock tank now isn't accurate. Once it gets below 1/2 I have to start worrying about fuel. And yes mine does leak when i fill it all the way up. put new gasket on and still leaks. They could really nip those two issues if they wanted to. Ive had mine for 3 years and have had no vaporlock issues.

dontlifttoshift
05-27-2016, 05:03 AM
Stat o Seals should solve your leaking sending unit problem. It has for me 95% of the time so I just keep a bag of them around and use them on every new install.

With _all_ aftermarket fuel senders there is some cheating involved. I use the instructions as a baseline and then wire the sender up, out of the tank, and run it through the sweep to ensure that it works exactly the way it should. Sometimes you have to bend the float arm to get the readings you want.

hifi875
05-27-2016, 07:36 AM
thanks for the advice^^. just pisses me off. Dont like removing the tank.

Arctic_Ragtop
09-07-2016, 08:58 PM
I ordered the Tanks Inc kit with the 255 pump, and then read all about the issues people were having with installing the pump and sending units. I don't see what the big deal is. I installed mine a few weeks ago, and yes there is measuring and cutting involved but it's not rocket science. I used Permatix Aviation Form a Gasket sealant liquid on the gaskets, the bolts, as well as threads of the AN fittings coming out of the pump. I will admit it took some creative thinking to get the sending unit into the tank, I marked where it had to be, then loosened the screws and let the bracket drop to the bottom, fed it in and then made sure to tighten it at the correct location. The gauge seems to work perfectly. I know there are other options out there, but the Tanks Inc and FiTech EFI system worked and continues to work great for me.

andrewb70
09-08-2016, 05:38 AM
Holley has some new interesting drop in modules for stock tanks using their nifty new fuel mat thing. I can't remember what they call it. Good option for people that don't have yanks readily available.

Andrew

dhutton
09-08-2016, 08:15 AM
Holley has some new interesting drop in modules for stock tanks using their nifty new fuel mat thing. I can't remember what they call it. Good option for people that don't have yanks readily available.

Andrew

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_pumps_regulators_and_filters/fuel_pumps/efi_fuel_pumps/efi_in-tank_pumps/parts/12-132

Don

Arctic_Ragtop
09-08-2016, 09:30 PM
That Holley Retrofit pump is pretty slick. I didn't even see that when I bought my EFI fuel system.

SSLance
09-09-2016, 04:43 AM
It's the one I'm looking at too, I'm waiting for some real world feedback on it. Right now the only one I've heard actually install one was Stacey David.

redmist
09-10-2016, 12:52 PM
The JAKEFAB Fuel Puck, an Aeromotive 340 pump, and a tanksinc tank should be a better value over whats out there right now for the quality.

Plus I am here if anyone needs any help!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/08/IMAG1119_zps0pa0k7qs-1.jpg?v=1472179811

dhutton
09-10-2016, 02:29 PM
The JAKEFAB Fuel Puck, an Aeromotive 340 pump, and a tanksinc tank should be a better value over whats out there right now for the quality.

What does your solution do to address fuel starvation? For example Holley uses the Hydramat to prevent fuel starvation.

Don

redmist
09-10-2016, 05:13 PM
My solution is a replacement for the Tanksinc fuel pump setup, as well as the new Holley version. I don't see the hydromat included in that setup. The baffled sump that is in the Tanksinc tank has worked great in my Charger.

ETA: I see the Holley unit comes with a little tiny piece of hydromat. I don't know how effective that would be over the huge mat that they sell.

I have used the walbro fuel pickups in a 4 corner arrangement in my rock crawler and they worked great, I would probably push that solution over most. My product is a design that bolts right into the Tanksinc tanks, so it's limited to that bolt pattern. It could be fitted to a custom application I suppose.

Ryan

redmist
09-11-2016, 08:19 PM
BUMP!!!

It looks like Holley sells the Hydromat unit (3x15") as a separate unit for $160 with the standard 11mm pinned fitting! This means that it should fit other pumps like the small inlet (Offset) Aeromotive Phantom 340 pumps.

Jakefab Fuel puck kit $120
Aeromotive Phantom 340 pump $120
Holley 3x15 Hydromat $160
Tanksinc tank (Varies) $220

total of $620 for a full EFI Fuel tank with a nice top hat, nice pump, nice tank, and a hydromat.

I will get a hydromat on order and try it on a few pump inlets to confirm.

Ryan

Bigblue73
09-13-2016, 08:29 AM
Ryan - Can I purchase everything from you, set-up or are you just selling your fuel puck kit. Nice product by the way.

redmist
09-13-2016, 05:59 PM
Ryan - Can I purchase everything from you, set-up or are you just selling your fuel puck kit. Nice product by the way.

I have been entertaining doing full setups. I know it would sell better that way.

What kind of car do you have?

Ryan

Maine1
09-18-2016, 12:22 PM
First let me say..I don't sell or get any kickbacks from anyone anywhere. I am just a consumer who likes cars. That being said,...
For all the systems out there that I looked at when I swapped my 71 camaro over to fuel injection I went with a Tanks Inc. complete setup, Tank, GPA-6 pump and sending unit. It was the most economical QUALITY assembly I could find and has performed admirably without a hiccup at all. I am 700+ hp&tq N/A at the crank and am in the process of adding a F1c procharger and expect it to perform just as well with the procharger.

stroker
11-26-2016, 10:02 AM
Hi, You use which shipping company for canada, thanks.

stroker
11-26-2016, 10:04 AM

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/08/IMAG1119_zps0pa0k7qs-1.jpg?v=1472179811

Hi, You use which shipping company for canada, thanks.

downl50
12-05-2016, 10:15 PM
Im also interesting in buying a complete setup - 1970 Chevelle w 427 sbc, planning on Holly sniper EFI.

I have been entertaining doing full setups. I know it would sell better that way.

What kind of car do you have?

Ryan

BlackHD
12-09-2016, 01:56 PM
Hi Ryan, did you get a chance to test out the hydramat with your setup?

berdunord
12-11-2016, 03:40 AM
First let me say..I don't sell or get any kickbacks from anyone anywhere. I am just a consumer who likes cars. That being said,...
For all the systems out there that I looked at when I swapped my 71 camaro over to fuel injection I went with a Tanks Inc. complete setup, Tank, GPA-6 pump and sending unit. It was the most economical QUALITY assembly I could find and has performed admirably without a hiccup at all. I am 700+ hp&tq N/A at the crank and am in the process of adding a F1c procharger and expect it to perform just as well with the procharger.

Hello ! jsut one question please, I've the same setup from Tank-Ink on a 72 camaro, where did you install the vent line and vent valve ? which one did you take ?

72Z/28
12-11-2016, 08:17 AM
Hello ! jsut one question please, I've the same setup from Tank-Ink on a 72 camaro, where did you install the vent line and vent valve ? which one did you take ?

You can refer to the link below but it is for a 68 camaro. I have done mine the same way and installed the valve behind the license plate.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/85708-Project-BLACK-METAL-67-Camaro/page14

berdunord
12-11-2016, 08:56 AM
ok thx ! I've installed mine just above the rear end housing approx at the same height than the tank neck but I've about 80psi of fuel pressure before the TBI instead of 58psi sent by the fuel filter/regulator so maybe not enought vent, I need to relocate the vent valve

cdrod
12-13-2016, 04:16 AM
Smokenarrow:
The FiTech EFI throttle body has a PWM fuel pump control circuit which will slow down the fuel pump at low demand (idle, cruising) this will increase the life of the fuel pump and run much quieter. The FiTech tech support guy said they can support a fuel pump up to 15-16 amps (no relay is needed). Carl has a return-less kit that let's you use a late model Camaro fuel pump with a 4th gen bypass valve in the pump, which eliminates the need for a fuel return line. You need to buy a restomod tank from Rick's Tanks or modify your stock tank to fit the Camaro pump which is larger than the aftermarket pumps. This was ideal for my daily driver Olds which is only 400HP, but I'm not sure if it would be sufficient at your HP level. Maybe Carl will chime in with more info.

Rodney