PDA

View Full Version : T56 Fitting

johnm
11-04-2005, 01:29 PM
I am contemplating on putting a non GM hydraulic clutch in my car, like a circle track tilton tripple mastercylinder assembly, can you get the fitting that plugs into a T56 to make the line that goes into my T56? Has anyone accomplished this before?

John

gEtyOpAPiOn
11-15-2005, 04:40 AM
To Convert From The O Ring Fitting To A -4 An Fitting You Can Get It From Mcleod

andrewb70
11-15-2005, 08:08 AM
I am contemplating on putting a non GM hydraulic clutch in my car, like a circle track tilton tripple mastercylinder assembly, can you get the fitting that plugs into a T56 to make the line that goes into my T56? Has anyone accomplished this before?

John

John,

First of all, call Quarter Master, not Tilton. Yes I am biased, since I used to work at QM, but in reality QM makes better clutches since they have access to better friction materials.

You have to address a few issues here. The stock throw out bearing that is used in the T56 will not work with a small diameter clutch. The small diameter clutches use flat diaphragm springs and require a TO bearing to have a ridge on it, instead of the stock style flat bearing. Quarter Master makes an adapter that bolts in place of the stock TO bearing and allows you to mount one of their TO bearings in place of the stock bearing.

The other thing to consider is that QM does not make a one piece flywheel for the LS1 engines. They use what is called a button flywheel. It is essentially a small flywheel that is about the size of the clutch but it does not have any teeth for starter engagement. A stock automatic transmission flexplate is sandwiched between the crank and the button flywheel so that the starter has a way of starting the engine. This makes for a very lightweight package. There are a ton of road racing Corvettes that use this set up, including the LG Motorsports World Challange corvette.

Another option is to use a 8.5" clutch. Here is a link to John Parson's clutch pics:

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6257

Maybe if you call QM and bug them enough, they will make more of the 8.5" clutch flywheels for the LS1.

Andrew

zuess4u
11-29-2005, 06:01 AM

John

John Andrews reply is your best bet, but we did something low budget that may work for you, just not sure what your needs are.

We also use a Q-Master T/O bearing, first thing we did is removed the bearing retainer from the trans, machined it up to the size of a regular 4 speed trans.

Next we used one of the mounting bolt holes next to the shaft, as a guide for the T/O bearing, very simple mode.

We then trimmed a 1/4 inch off the pilot bearing, and a 1/4 inch off the input shaft. We are using a Ram clutch set up and 19 lb 153 flywheel for a 2 pieace seal motor (cause thats what we have).

Everything seems to work well, but have not drove the car yet, but it all measures out.

We made our own cross member as well, out of 3 inch by 1/4 flat stock. Welded it directly to the sub frame right on top of the section where the rear brake line mounts go, this line up straight across with the tranny mount. We made these two parts for either side of the tranny so they are about 5 inches away from the tranny when welded in. There are two welded 3/8 nuts welded on these pieace, this allows us to use spacers and another short pieace to tie the tranny and the crossmember together, and makes for easy tranny removal, when we need to. Good exauhst clearance as well.