PDA

View Full Version : Using Coil Packs On Early SBC

minendrews68
03-04-2016, 06:35 AM
Has anyone used the coil pack conversion on SBC's? Just wondering how this works, and if it's worth doing. Seems like a good idea, but I've just heard about it. What do you guys think?

MOREHORSEPOWER
03-04-2016, 08:49 AM
Check these guys www.eficonnection.com . You will be able to run a SBC the same as a Ls Style style setup .

TheJDMan
03-04-2016, 11:03 AM
Is this a good thing?

Decline
03-04-2016, 01:54 PM
I've heard its a good idea if you are wanting to replace the crappy opti spark on the old LT1 equipped vehicles.

minendrews68
03-04-2016, 08:24 PM
But what about for a replacement for a distributor?

Project92rs
03-05-2016, 07:27 AM
But what about for a replacement for a distributor?

The one from EFI Connection uses a distributor from a Vortec engine that has just a cam sensor in it so there is still a "distributor" in the hole to help control spark.

minendrews68
03-05-2016, 09:12 AM
The one from EFI Connection uses a distributor from a Vortec engine that has just a cam sensor in it so there is still a "distributor" in the hole to help control spark.

The one I saw uses a crank trigger like the LS models. I think this might be something to look at...

David Pozzi
03-05-2016, 12:25 PM
The stock small block timing stability is terrible. If oil pressure is increased, the timing jumps all over the place. Put a timing light on your engine and rev it and see how much it jumps around. The instability is mostly caused by the oil pump chattering. I switched an engine to dry sump and the timing stability vastly improved. I heard Melling has a spiral geared pump that is a big improvement.
http://www.melling.com/sharkpumps

MonzaRacer
03-05-2016, 05:50 PM
Well then I wonder how you guys would like a V8 DIS setup that works on any V8. Been working out some bugs for last few years and so far my friend who has a transport company has had one on his truck for almost 60k miles with zero issues.
I have been working on it with both a GM DIS module, with and with out cam sensor and standalone is almost finished.
We have his truck set up with LT1 intake and did away with stock EGR mess, much like the old modified LT1 intakes had done but we used different sealing method.
Still working on crank sensor packaging, been through 20 different brackets as we use dual sensors with GM module. Reason for module version is computer feedback and it can sense and fire up in 180* of crank rotation.
I started working on this idea after Vince sent me an LT1 intake. Now SBC will use a stub shaft similar to LT unit and still working on TC cover mounted cam sensor, my buddy's is actually hooked to stub.
So far we are not seeing any issues with cam timing, and we also developed a way to "allow for" or take up TC slack/wear.
His truck is 5 speed so he seemed to stretch them so we used a set up similar to old 3.8 Buick TC tensioner.
So far no issues, but then I have put hundreds of thousands of miles in SBC TC set and if using quality parts they generally come out in fine shape.
Ya know the hard part is not having a garage at home to work out of. Makes prototyping a bitch.
The one issue I have is getting certain GM plugs for module, 3 are easy but one is a bitch to find!
Oh and wire packaging is SWEET!

minendrews68
03-05-2016, 08:31 PM
Lee, do you have any pictures of this setup? Have you done away with the distributor?

MonzaRacer
03-06-2016, 05:54 PM
Lee, do you have any pictures of this setup? Have you done away with the distributor?

No real distributor. The LT1 intake has no hole so we used a stub from one, extended the shaft and put our cam sensor hole in back of intake. Ill get Jerry to take some pics after he gets back in. Might take week or so. We made a bracket that mounted the coils/module on back of engine. We are still trying to package this set up, my biggest issue has been the shutter whee. Our first iteration would get magnetized then we would get signal scatter from sensors.
Like I said so far this unit has worked well compared to the last iteration.
Yes I am working on packaging and will try to show something soon.
Now that someone actually has shown interest.
If you are not looking for module driven set up it gets simpler.
Instead of needing 8 full driven outputs you only need 4. Make life lot simpler!

minendrews68
03-09-2016, 04:14 PM
Has anyone tried this yet?

chickn
03-09-2016, 05:14 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but I plan on doing it once I get my car finished. I was planning on using one of three options. MS3 ignition only (in wasted spark mode), adapting a MSD 6LS Ignition Controller for LS1/LS6 or AutosportLab's MegaJolt2 (if they every release it). I don't understand why there is not a off the shelf solution.