PDA

View Full Version : Replacing quarters while on a rotisserie

Kmart78
03-01-2016, 10:04 PM
I've got my 71 camaro on a rotisserie and just had it blasted and I'm ready to start replacing sheet metal. I've got both rear quarters, trunk drop offs, outer wheel houses and DSE mini tub kit waiting to go on. Can I replace the quarters while the car is on the rotisserie or do I need to have it sitting on its wheels? If I just do one side at a time will I avoid any twisting or tweaking of the body? Any help or advice on this project would be greatly appreciated!

daredvl22
03-02-2016, 05:04 AM
Yes you can. Did both quarters on mine at the same time while on the rotisserie with no issues.

dhutton
03-02-2016, 05:29 AM
I would not replace all that sheet metal on a rotisserie. I prefer to use a body jig with proper pickup points and support.

What is the condition of your frame rails?

Don

rickpaw
03-02-2016, 06:41 AM
I would not replace all that sheet metal on a rotisserie. I prefer to use a body jig with proper pickup points and support.

Don

I agree with Don. Also, it's a good idea to rebuild the door hinges and hang the doors before replacing the quarters. That way, you'll have the doors to set the gaps to.

Kmart78
03-02-2016, 08:14 AM

Don
The frame rails are in pretty good shape, very straight with only one small area of rot. Where are the pickup points?

dhutton
03-02-2016, 10:54 AM
The frame rails are in pretty good shape, very straight with only one small area of rot. Where are the pickup points?

My jig uses the subframe mounting holes, both ends of each frame rail, the top fender hole on the cowl and the front of each rocker.

Plans are available from firstgenjigs.com

Don

Kmart78
03-02-2016, 11:03 AM
Mine is a second Gen Camaro though

dhutton
03-02-2016, 11:08 AM
Mine is a second Gen Camaro though

Missed that. Sorry. Same principles and pickup points etc apply though.

Don

Kmart78
03-02-2016, 11:25 AM
OK, thanks!

indyjps
03-05-2016, 05:57 PM
Good advice here. Set it on body mount points and have the door on and lined up well. Weld in braces before cutting the quarters free, plan your braces so the door can stay on the car. Hang the doors while fitting the quarters.

I bought a 1970 z28 matching numbers in the 90's, where the owner did not follow this advice, hung GM quarters while the doors were off. Owner got fed up, people knew about it, i was able to buy it cheap and took a chance. Luckily a friend worked at a body shop and we were able to use a frame table on Sunday to get it close, still took cutting loose part of the quarters , slicing and rewelding. We planned all the slice cuts so we could access the backsides for hammer dolly work, and also to seal well. The car is still running around today with great looking paint, but it was a pain to get it right.