PDA

View Full Version : Twin turbos ... the true cost ... expensive

rfalker1
03-01-2016, 01:29 AM
Currently I concerting my n/a sbc 383 to a twin turbo setup in my 68 camaro. My intial impression was that the price would not be bad... but with my parts list increasing by the day... its getting up there. Here is a part / price list of the things needed to covert and reasons why for certain parts.

The engine before is a blue print crate engine. Compression 9 to 5:1 with a lift on gm vortec heads and hypereutic pistons

(if you want to see the engine click the link in my signature)

CandSSpecialties Turbo Package
Aerosol Billet blow thru carburetor
Extreme velocity carb hat
T4 C&S garret based turbo 70mm x 2
Wastegates x 2
Blow off valve
Air cleaner assembly $ 4000.00 (its cheaper if you buy from out of state)

In. short i thought this was most of the cost of twin turbos... boy was i wrong!

CandS Boost reference Gauge + Fuel Feed + Hardware $ 350

this popped up next...because hey your carb needs fuel...

CXRacing Twin Turbo Header Manifold
Downpipes Kit SBC $ 1,160

Next i bought a basic piping kit... for a chevelle and it does not really fit the build because the manifolds have a bend... thus had to scrape half the kit because i did not want to go cutting my fenders (these are cheap eBay stuff too. Modified the header manifold heavily to make work on the 68 camaro.

Now because your engine was changed lots of changes are needed,

Holley Billet Electronic Fuel Pump 12-890 $ 230
probably because you will need a lot more fuel when going into boost

(2)Summit Racing Braided Stainless Steel 8an Hose $ 130
RobbMC Fuel Sending Unit 1968 GM Unit + -8an Option $ 186
New hoses because your orginal probably was not big enough and if you was carved you will need to add a return line

30 ft Matt Black 1/0 gauge $ 42

Taylor Cable 48100 Aluminum Battery box $ 81
Exide Edge-AGM34 Flate Plate Battery $ 165
You will probably need to move the battery to the back also.. because all that piping needs to go somewhere, thus wires need to be moved, plus a dry sealed battery because battery will be in the car without a firewall

(2) Titanium turbo heat shield T4 $ 71
keeps from hot side of turbo

(16) NGK R5724-9 SPark Plugs $ 45
new plugs cause the operation temp will likely go up

(6) Ano-Tuff -8an Male Flare 3/4”-16 $ 71
Earl’s 40 Micron Postfilter -8an $ 73
Holley Fuel Pump Safety Switch $ 31
Holley HP Billet 100 Micron Pre filter -8an $ 83
Some petty stuff to keep you fuel clean

cxracing 3” vband t4 adapter flange 90 $ 133

6AL-2 MSD Box Because your ignition box will need to control timing and be programmable $ 390 + whatever it takes to program ...

Now Add
UPGR8 Universal 4-Ply High Performance Silicone Hose $ 41
3” to 4” Silicone Straight Reducer $ 12
CXRacing 2.5 to 3” Merge pipe ALuminum $ 51
4” Cast Aluminium Elbow 90 degree $ 54
Innovate Motorsports (3844) MTX-L WIdeband AFR $ 150
AutoMeter 1257 Transmissio Temp Gauge $ 187

+ More gauges which cost an extra 1k
Auto Meter 5289 GPS Electric Speedometer Module $ 177
Autometer 5” #1289 Speedometer Gauge $ 262
Autometer 5” #1225 QUad Gauge $ 300
Autometer #1259 Boost Gauge $ 250
Autometer 2 1/16 Mounting bracket $ 23

Snow Performance Stage 2 Meth injection $ 664
However after talking to the people at c and specialties i was told this was not really necessary because my block would go before I could add more boost! And they said it's a running nightmare for a carb. Thus it's scratched for me but maybe useful to somebody who wants a 1100 + horsepower

Now this list does not include a high performance radiator , beefy transmission, beefy driveline and rearend! Because i overbuilt my car. But those things add 4k or 5k more. So don't forget to add that to your price if needed.

Lomg story short, the price of twin turbos are not cheap, even if you already have a well bit rig. But make sure you plan for these cost so you don't get stuck in the middle of the change without the funds to finish your project!

Good luck to all! and hope this article helps. Let me know if you want the document the project on here

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/02/IMG_20160213_135138279_zpsx2lzbii9-1.jpg (http://s1025.photobucket.com/user/rfalker1/media/IMG_20160213_135138279_zpsx2lzbii9.jpg.html)

yellow1098Greg
03-01-2016, 07:53 AM
Great info...thank you...I was thinking about doing the same thing except with a 400 pontiac...I'm sure the price is even alittle higher with that motor...definitely something to think about..great post!

F-Body International
03-02-2016, 04:01 PM
Great info...thank you...I was thinking about doing the same thing except with a 400 pontiac...I'm sure the price is even alittle higher with that motor...definitely something to think about..great post!

I have a Pontiac 400 myself. I think best thing to do is to build a nice fuel supply and ignition system before other modifications take place. This preps your car for being able to supply higher horsepower applications. After that is accomplished, efi or a boosted application would be less expensive up front. This thread highlights that.

shmoov69
03-14-2016, 08:07 PM
It can be done much cheaper, just requires much more work yourself.... And less power. Granted those 70's are going to bump the price considerably, considering the amount of power they're capable of.

However, you are very correct in the fact that there are those "oh yeah" costs! LoL!

rfalker1
03-16-2016, 02:44 AM
It can be done much cheaper, just requires much more work yourself.... And less power. Granted those 70's are going to bump the price considerably, considering the amount of power they're capable of.

However, you are very correct in the fact that there are those "oh yeah" costs! LoL!

Yea it does, we still have not figured out how to run the downpipe yet and 70's !!!!!! Hopefully my turn setup will be cool like yours!

will69camaro
03-17-2016, 09:51 AM
My turbo placement is simliar and I too found out that cost of twin turbo setup gets expensive quick. I had nearly 6k in just turbos, wastegates and BOV. Add in another grand for the manifolds I started with, all the clamps, fabrication, intercoolers, etc and I got to prob close to 20k in my turbo setup (including exhaust) not including anything for the engine/fuel system!

I warn people against it and say to look at power goals. Seems most cost effective honestly is a supercharger. There are plenty available that can accommodate most power goals. Doesn't have as much "WOW" factor, but at least your pocket wont be saying "WOW" quite as often...

will69camaro
03-21-2016, 02:06 PM
Just took this picture this past weekend after re-installing the hot side...This is why i went turbo. Hard to get this look from a SC setup...

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/03/SSJNvxQ-1.jpg

THAT is the wow factor for me.

shmoov69
03-21-2016, 06:12 PM
Hubba Hubba!!!

rfalker1
04-01-2016, 02:37 PM
Just took this picture this past weekend after re-installing the hot side...This is why i went turbo. Hard to get this look from a SC setup...

I think you need to sensor that! Wow! Just wow!

I am still adding on to my list... oh blow through turbo system will be cheaper... hahahaha here buy a 500 dollar msd box that controls timing... and, i hope you don't need to change your gauge setup... i am 1300 for changing my gauges .... SMH!!!!

Nothin like yours Will But when I pop the hood... well it should be an eye popper with a sleeper feel, since i am not running an intercooler

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/04/IMG_20160328_193849437_zps1tvreew5-1.jpg (http://s1025.photobucket.com/user/rfalker1/media/IMG_20160328_193849437_zps1tvreew5.jpg.html)

obengston
04-01-2016, 03:33 PM
Yes it adds up quick. Most don't realize all the multiple things to complete the build, and to do it right, especially if your aiming at a certain level of power, and looks. I have the EFI, meth, and intercooler as well.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/04/IMG_0015_zpsgn8plygy-1.jpg[/URL]https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/04/13_zpsgldu1pz4-1.jpg[/URL]

will69camaro
04-02-2016, 03:58 AM
I think you need to sensor that! Wow! Just wow!

I am still adding on to my list... oh blow through turbo system will be cheaper... hahahaha here buy a 500 dollar msd box that controls timing... and, i hope you don't need to change your gauge setup... i am 1300 for changing my gauges .... SMH!!!!

Nothin like yours Will But when I pop the hood... well it should be an eye popper with a sleeper feel, since i am not running an intercooler

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/04/IMG_20160328_193849437_zps1tvreew5-1.jpg (http://s1025.photobucket.com/user/rfalker1/media/IMG_20160328_193849437_zps1tvreew5.jpg.html)

Not sure what you mean that setup looks awesome so far. Like the turbo placement!

No gauge change for me. All I have is an iq3s.

rfalker1
04-03-2016, 12:40 AM
Not sure what you mean that setup looks awesome so far. Like the turbo placement!

No gauge change for me. All I have is an iq3s.

Well thank you ;) Its coming along! I will post a few more pics on here in a few weeks when the rest of the plumbing is done and the wires are out of the way! And nice!

For me my gauge problem was that I basically kept the stock gauges in the console, mounted a tach gauge on the dash and my oil temp/ volt/ water temp gauge in the pod under the dash, But going turbo meant well more gauges . So I swapped the console gauges for a speedo that actually + gps sensor . Switched to a multi gauge for fuel/water temp/ volt / oil pressure / .

Then went and got the trans temp gauge, afr gauge from innovative and a boost gauge ! Thus money was needed to be spent lol!

The Iq3's are nice ! After getting all this stuff I really see why people do it! But at the same time I really wanted a retro look. I love the classic muscle car feel. And i did not want it to lose that aspect of the car

rfalker1
04-03-2016, 12:43 AM
Yes it adds up quick. Most don't realize all the multiple things to complete the build, and to do it right, especially if your aiming at a certain level of power, and looks. I have the EFI, meth, and intercooler as well.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/04/IMG_0015_zpsgn8plygy-1.jpg[/URL]https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/04/13_zpsgldu1pz4-1.jpg[/URL]

The way your turbo was mounted at first glance I thought it was a 2jz ! But what it looks great! What size turbo are you running? And Yea I can imagine the extra headache the comes with running an intercooler and meth! I am trying to stay far away from that lol.

And do you have a lot of lag ? or is t fairly responsive?

rfalker1
04-03-2016, 01:03 AM

Also quick question, Will you run wheel welds? air cleaners? If so how do you plan on fitting them? Because you have some big tires up front!

obengston
04-03-2016, 03:29 AM
Its a Race 76mm Borg Warner, If there is Lag I can't feel it really its almost instant. And as you can see Im running a Intercooler on a RS so I had to change my Hood Brace and go with a Cable activated latch (which I like can open on the inside now....)

will69camaro
04-03-2016, 04:05 AM
Also quick question, Will you run wheel welds? air cleaners? If so how do you plan on fitting them? Because you have some big tires up front!

Yep. I got the anvil wide inner fenders and the turbo kit is complete with filters. They sit behind the core support in-line with the headlight area. Should get plenty of fresh air up there!
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/04/m4cn4af-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/04/AKPG8Pt-1.jpg

rfalker1
04-03-2016, 04:07 AM
Its a Race 76mm Borg Warner, If there is Lag I can't feel it really its almost instant. And as you can see Im running a Intercooler on a RS so I had to change my Hood Brace and go with a Cable activated latch (which I like can open on the inside now....)

Sweet how much power are you putting down! And i have an rs too! And I guess your engine is already beefy! So you have power even before the turbo kicks! Looks awesome though ! Like stunning !

will69camaro
04-03-2016, 05:14 AM
Also don't mind that open hose. Charge pipe was off being finished.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/04/fOMnx2u-1.jpg

Firewall has since been painted.

Nine Ball
04-03-2016, 06:23 AM
If twin-turbos were cheap and easy, everyone would have them in their cars. LOL

I regret tearing down my Supercharged Viper, to upgrade to twin 67's. Because I refuse to do things the cheap way, I ended up dumping another $25K into the twin system. And I'm not done with the car.

Tony

rfalker1
04-03-2016, 07:05 AM
Also don't mind that open hose. Charge pipe was off being finished.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/04/fOMnx2u-1.jpg

Firewall has since been painted.

Okay I see! Your car is awesome Will, I can saw where that 20k went! What size turbos are you running?

will69camaro
04-03-2016, 09:19 AM
Gt35r = 62mm

Willis808
04-03-2016, 12:39 PM
You dont feel that is too small of turbos? Just curious your thought bud. Looks sweet though!

will69camaro
04-03-2016, 01:56 PM
They were bought originally when it was gonna be a 408

These turbos have supported vipers making 1200+rwhp. Looking back I'd have done the 67mm version of these had I bought them post 427. These will work for now and 67mm will be part of the next phase.

obengston
04-03-2016, 04:26 PM
Yes plenty of power at anytime. I was low boost on a 383 making 750rwhp, but just changed to a Dart 415 lower compression and expecting right at 1000 rwhp on the new set up/engine. I should have it all back together by mid May so we shall see how close I am, but I don't think I will be off to much. I was running the aeromotive stealth tank but it will not support my new power level, so I had Ricks Tank make me a Tank with dual 450 pumps that will support up to 1700hp. As well can't just change the tank without changing multiple fittings and bigger lines...not cheap. Change one thing its a snow ball effect ..

The way your turbo was mounted at first glance I thought it was a 2jz ! But what it looks great! What size turbo are you running? And Yea I can imagine the extra headache the comes with running an intercooler and meth! I am trying to stay far away from that lol.

And do you have a lot of lag ? or is t fairly responsive?

rfalker1
04-03-2016, 11:47 PM

These turbos have supported vipers making 1200+rwhp. Looking back I'd have done the 67mm version of these had I bought them post 427. These will work for now and 67mm will be part of the next phase.

i run a 6768 on my Supra! Love that turbo. Those turbos will spool extremely fast as well

rfalker1
04-03-2016, 11:50 PM
Yes plenty of power at anytime. I was low boost on a 383 making 750rwhp, but just changed to a Dart 415 lower compression and expecting right at 1000 rwhp on the new set up/engine. I should have it all back together by mid May so we shall see how close I am, but I don't think I will be off to much. I was running the aeromotive stealth tank but it will not support my new power level, so I had Ricks Tank make me a Tank with dual 450 pumps that will support up to 1700hp. As well can't just change the tank without changing multiple fittings and bigger lines...not cheap. Change one thing its a snow ball effect ..

Yep boost is addicting! But I guess that is why you see super high hp cars run two fuel fittings! If I knew you was changing I would have bought your whole setup! I just finished buying lines, pumps, fitting etc! NOT CHEAP lol. And that is a lot of power!

Willis808
04-05-2016, 09:57 AM

Right on. Was just wondering. I had Precision 62s on my built GTR, They love a lot of boost. It will start to shine above 32psi. I was running more boost then that on those turbos and it loved it. I think 67s would be a really good choice for a bigger V8. Plan on building on my 502 with a 67 set up. Looking good though bud!!

Willis808
04-05-2016, 09:59 AM
i run a 6768 on my Supra! Love that turbo. Those turbos will spool extremely fast as well

What supra do you have? If you are on Supra Forums, whats you screen name? Ive been on there for 10+ years. Had a couple decently big build 97's 6 speeds. 1 black and 1 RSP.

rfalker1
04-06-2016, 02:29 AM
What supra do you have? If you are on Supra Forums, whats you screen name? Ive been on there for 10+ years. Had a couple decently big build 97's 6 speeds. 1 black and 1 RSP.

Rfalker1 I think...
and a 1993.5 6 speed, 6768 pt, gsc s1 cams, ported heads, suspension, sound system.. etc. So you are a build let it go and do it again type of guy!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/04/IMG_1680_zpsx0cluofv-1.jpg (http://s1025.photobucket.com/user/rfalker1/media/IMG_1680_zpsx0cluofv.jpg.html)
this girl

Willis808
04-07-2016, 04:44 PM
^^ Nice RR Supra...Well the first 97 Blk/Blk 6spd Built 3.0 with Motec M600 was my baby with low miles. Everything was mint condition. Mine and SW's Supra looked identical but mine only made 960whp. It got stolen when I was away for work during christmas many years ago...Then my last 97 RSP 3.4 Stroker 6spd was also low miles and mint condition. Made a little over 1300whp. But I sold it to my buddy since at that time I was running out of room at home garage and my shop (man cave). And was focusing more on my GTR and Bikes. Supra prices are crazy right now! Someone offered 75k for my old RSP but the current owner said no. hahaha.

Nothing beats a classic/hot rod. I love love my 56 Chevy. Im glad this thread was created so I can see how everyone is setting there turbo routing. Now I just need to figure out what I have to do to my ZZ502/502 to make it handle some boost. I have a lot of learning to do regarding Chevy Motors.

rfalker1
04-09-2016, 06:34 AM
^^ Nice RR Supra...Well the first 97 Blk/Blk 6spd Built 3.0 with Motec M600 was my baby with low miles. Everything was mint condition. Mine and SW's Supra looked identical but mine only made 960whp. It got stolen when I was away for work during christmas many years ago...Then my last 97 RSP 3.4 Stroker 6spd was also low miles and mint condition. Made a little over 1300whp. But I sold it to my buddy since at that time I was running out of room at home garage and my shop (man cave). And was focusing more on my GTR and Bikes. Supra prices are crazy right now! Someone offered 75k for my old RSP but the current owner said no. hahaha.

Nothing beats a classic/hot rod. I love love my 56 Chevy. Im glad this thread was created so I can see how everyone is setting there turbo routing. Now I just need to figure out what I have to do to my ZZ502/502 to make it handle some boost. I have a lot of learning to do regarding Chevy Motors.

Wow, sorry to hear about the first supra and sorry to hear about you selling the second supra look (joking joking) How do you like the GTR? I heard they are really nice, but very easy to drive, but very fast at the same time. Is all that true? and what mods have you did too it, I bet giving you had a stroker supra, you have an alpha GTR!

As far the 502, Same rules apply as with the supra, accept you can't boost it like a 2jz.... And do it all the time without eventually killing the engine. With my 383 I plan on running about 16 lbs... the same as on mu supra. But that will be pushing what my block can handle!

rfalker1
04-12-2016, 09:14 AM
I have a Pontiac 400 myself. I think best thing to do is to build a nice fuel supply and ignition system before other modifications take place. This preps your car for being able to supply higher horsepower applications. After that is accomplished, efi or a boosted application would be less expensive up front. This thread highlights that.

Yea for sure... if you upgrade to the point where the upgrade is literally the turbo system , it can be taken pretty easily... but even better if you design your car before to run boost and everything is already there!

rfalker1
04-12-2016, 09:16 AM

No problem it was my pleasure to inform, cause even with a turbo kit, all this prices are still going to exist

wadem
08-02-2016, 07:48 AM
to the OP, sorry you had a tuff time,I wish i would have seen this thread earlier I could have saved you a good bit of money over what you had to buy,IF you or anybody else ever needs anything fabrication wise for forced induction setups or fuel system etc etc etc dont ever hesitate to give me a call. you can check us out online and what all we make and sell and if anybody needs anything ill give you a discount code for being Pro-touring member,Alot of guys on here have helped me out so if i can help you guys out it will be my pleasure

www.racepartsolutions.com

Wade McGowan
Race Part Solutions
561-375-6277

wyattroa
02-03-2017, 02:06 PM

Do you have a build thread? Interested on how you plumbed together the Intercooler setup.. I would love to do this with my 66 chevelle. It looks like you kept the AC too.

DippedInSauce
08-22-2018, 09:00 PM
There’s definitely a reason 90% of force fed lsx swapped cars opt for superchargers lol. They can be had for a fraction of the price of a legit TT build. Noting beats turbos though.

aventino68
01-22-2020, 02:07 PM
I'm thinking geardrive procharger twins won't be much difference in price to your twin turbo installation. If you're doing it properly its never cheap and there aren't many shortcuts.

Hemi8
01-20-2021, 03:28 PM
If you do everything yourself its not too bad, having a shop do all the work will break you. I learned soo much building mine and its so much fun driving it I would not do anything but twin turbos on any future car builds.

Hemi8
01-20-2021, 03:32 PM
I think when I retire in a few tears I'll build a TT 632ci Blueprint power adder crate engine with twin EFRs in a 70 SS Chevelle.

Mike