PDA

View Full Version : fuel system upgrade

FASTURN
02-22-2016, 02:15 PM
I am running a '70 Challenger with 440 big block 850cfm quick fuel carb. Now I have a holley HP125 electric fuel pump, regulated to 6-7 psi sucking out of stock pickup in stock tank. I am looking at upgrading to different fuel pump as I can't get that tall fuel pump installed low enough for effective fuel pickup as it does not "suck" fuel. I was thinking of using Aeromotive Phantom pump or Holley hydromat in tank p/u with whatever holley inline pump would be sufficient for my application. The car is used for primarily autocross racing with some street driving. Also may upgrade to Fitech or Holley Stealth fuel injection in the future. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

LemonTwisted
02-23-2016, 02:26 PM
I run the Aeromotive Phantom setup in my 70 Roadrunner with an Edelbrock eStreet EFI system. I used a new stock tank and epoxied a 1" aluminum square tube to the top of the tank to space it out from the trunk floor. I've ran the car at several autocross events and the fuel system works great. I can even drive it around town with the gas gauge on E without any issues, before if it got down to a 1/4 of a tank with the factory setup you'd better start looking for a gas station. You probably know how that is. You'll need to run a return line from your regulator and add some sort of vent canister like a II Much unit as the return heats up the gas and over flows the factory vent lines, at least here with the Georgia Summers. I think Aeromotive sells a regulator that handles from 3 to 65 psi so you could use it with a carb and when you upgrade to EFI.

F-Body International
03-02-2016, 04:15 PM
In-tank pump with a return is commonly preferred for supply. There probably is a premade tank you can by somewhere that doesn't too much money. Spectre or TanksInc might have one for you.

You may also want to consider using your current setup to pump fuel to a sump tank when you switch to efi. FiTech or Edelbrock sells these systems.

If on a budget, you can do an inline walbro pump and work with what you have. The hydramat isn't too bad of an idea.