PDA

View Full Version : Help I need a overflow catch can

69Nova
11-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Well I am going drag racing tommorow and the rules say I have to have a radiator overflow catch can that hold atleast one pint. What could I do to meat the rules for the raceway. I need to find something to work because a bunch of cars from my town are going and I need to kick their butts in front of everybody.

Andrew Petty

LowBuckX
11-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Hey isnt 20 oz more than a pint :hammer: .......... use a 20oz pepsi bottle straped in with the over flow tube going to it. It is legal and many weekend racers do it....

69Nova
11-04-2005, 05:53 AM
Thats kinda what I was thinking I should do. If anyone has a better idea please speak up or I am going to try a pepsi bottle and hopefully they will let me race.

Andrew Petty

dhardison
11-04-2005, 06:30 AM
I use the factory windshield washer container for my rad overflow. I disconnected the hose from my wiper squirter pump, re-routed it under the radiator shroud and connected it to the overflow on the radiator. It holds around a quart and the cap has a tube that extends to the bottom of the container, so it pulls coolant back in to the rad just like a 'real' closed system overflow.

VERY simple and free!

Dan

69Nova
11-04-2005, 09:36 AM
Good idea, I think I will do that. But will it be ok since the line would almost run flat across with maby a little up hill travel into the container?

Andrew Petty

dhardison
11-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Yep no problems with the line orientation/routing. The coolant is being pushed to the washer bottle under pressure, so it'll get there.

In my previous post I stated that I ran the line under the radiator "shroud", but what I meant was I ran it along the top of the radiator support, under the radiator support panel (the removable panel on top of the rad).

Dan

CAMAROBOY69
11-04-2005, 10:02 AM
All great ideas. Keep in mind you could also take one from any other vehicle in your driveway just to get you by if your afraid of using the pepsi bottle. (Pepsi bottle is what I used for about a year until I grabbed one from the junkyard) :lmao:

Damn True
11-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Mountain Dew is faster.

dhardison
11-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Mountain Dew is faster.

Ahhhh, Mt. Dew. The sweet nectar of the Gods............

Dan

69Nova
11-04-2005, 09:37 PM
I used a water bottle. The supid part is the tech guy didnt even look over the car, he just asked some questions about my car and was in shock for seeing a young kid with a muscle car.

I had alot of fun for only 15 dollars, drag racing rocks!

Andrew Petty

Johnny Blaze
01-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Old post, but how did you do?

MrQuick
01-14-2006, 07:27 PM
you know if you have a Nova, look around the wrecking yards for a 74-77 Nova over flow bottle. It tucks into the passenger side fender next to the battery and behind the headlight very nicely, i've used them on Camaros too.

69Nova
01-15-2006, 11:31 AM
Well to be honest when I went to the track the tech guy was in love with my car and the fact a 19 yeard old kid was driving it he let me just pass through inspection after he took a picture. LOL. But I saw some other guys that did the same thing and it passed. Also the bottle has been on there since then with no problems.

69Nova
01-15-2006, 11:38 AM
I don't wan't anybody to think too I'm cheap. The water bottle is coming off soon. In fact as soon as my dad finishes his transmission swap on our 63 Impala my car goes on to the lift for some minor work and changes.