PDA

View Full Version : 3" to 2.5" Stainless Adapter/Clamp?

Ralph LoGrasso
11-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Hey guys,

I have a bit of an odd problem. I've got a set of Long tube headers coming from Stainless Works, they're 1 3/4" primaries into 3" collectors. I've also got an Off Road Y-pipe coming, but production of SW's 3" ORY has been delayed a few months, and Al is going to send me a 2.5" ORY for the time being, so I can atleast get the headers installed and get some miles on them before the car is stored for winter. Then when the 3" is ready, I'll just swap it in for the 2.5". I realize the 3" collector to 2.5" is going to bottleneck things and eat up some power, but my car is currently running stock manifolds and one of the cats is clogged, so power is hurting severly as is.

My question is, what is the easiest way to mate the 3" collector to 2.5" pipe? Does anyone make a stepped tube that I can weld on to the end of the Y pipe? Or better yet, some sort of stepped clamp/adapter? Basically I just need a temporary fix to get the 3" collector to merge with the 2.5" Pipes of the ORY, the Y-pipe can be modified (Ie cutback a bit) but the headers CANNOT. Everything is Stainless, and this is also on my '01 SS not the '68. Any help is greatly apprecaited.

Thanks,

parsonsj
11-03-2005, 04:48 PM
Perhaps I'm not following, but this seems like an easy problem to solve. Just have SW send you some SS 3 to 2.5 adapters along with the ORY pipe. They make 'em ... I have 4 of them on II Much.

jp

Ralph LoGrasso
11-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Perhaps I'm not following, but this seems like an easy problem to solve. Just have SW send you some SS 3 to 2.5 adapters along with the ORY pipe. They make 'em ... I have 4 of them on II Much.

jp

Nope, that's a very simple solution, and it's exactly what I was looking for. I actually feel pretty stupid now, as I suppose I should've done some research before posting this. :hand: :hand: I'll get in touch with Al and get set up on those.

Thanks!

CarlC
11-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Flowmaster makes a smooth-transition 2-1/2 - 3" adapter. Check to make sure the length will work for you.