PDA

View Full Version : OLDFLM72 - 72 Formula 400 - First Car!

OLDFLM
09-16-2004, 09:25 AM
Hello all! I'm a 37 year old, 19 year active duty Air Force veteran.
I have a Supercharged 1990 Mustang GT in the For Sale forum that
I built for the autobons while I was in Germany. Currently I'm slowly
bringing back my 72 Formula that was my first car (circa 1985).
I rebuilt the engine/trans/suspension/rear and did the paint and body
while I was station in Montana in the early 90s... 93 took me to Germany where I bought and built the Mustang (which only has 28,000 miles on it btw!) for the autobons and it's a true 200mph car. During my tour in Europe and the 4 years I was in Wyoming the Firebird sat in
my parents garage in Ohio. So now that its out on the road again (drove it to work everyday this week) in sunny Colorado Springs I've been going through it all over again... oil/plugs/seals etc. I'd forgotten just how much I missed that old car! So I'm selling the Mustang to finance the PT-rebirth of OLDFLM (old flame - first car - get it?)
Well that's it, my cars and who I am... (c:]

If I haven't bored the absolute heck (PG) out of you yet, here's the outline of the plans for the Formula:

Short Term Fall/Winter 04:
HEI conversion $135 Dave's small body HEI conversion
MSD 6AL $195 Hopefully save a little from eBay!
HS 1.65 Rockers $210 eBay again! I hope!!
Hughes 2500 stall $230 Found it for $160 at BillyGrahamRacing.com
Bullet cam $130 224/230dur .534/.540 lift 110LSA
Lifters $ 70 Crowers when I get the heads done
Pushrods $ 35 Might as well while I'm in there!
Parts Subtotal $1005

KRE head service $629 Pontiac guys outta Ohio... Go Buckeyes!
Jeff Kauffman knows his stuff and he's cheaper than the locals!
Mill if required $ 50 Probably won't need it, but just in case...
Shipping $ 60 Might be more?
Elongate for 1.65s $ 50 Gotta elongate the pushrod holes in the heads for the 1.65 rockers
Hardened seats $ 80 Might as well... better with pump gas
Gaskets $ 50 Intake/exhaust/head etc
Heads Subtotal $919

So for about $2000 I can get the new head/cam combo on there and get it up to 425-450 hp just motor...

Then add the NOS Top Shot system (hidden) for another 100hp for an honest 500hp total!

Long term wish list is:

17/18" rims/tires $2000 Boyd Stingrays...
245/45/17 front and 285/40/18 rear
13"/12" Baer brakes $2500
13" drilled/slotted/zinc washed front... 12" in back
TCI 4-speed auto $1500
Complete trans with 2500 stall converter... better highway RPMs!
Misc (bumper/trim) $1000
All stuff from the aftermarket catalogs... bumper/chrome bezels/trim etc
Misc parts (OEM) $1000
More OEM stuff from the catalogs... interior/exterior trim stuff

Long term total $8000 plus $2000 for heads/cam = $10,000
to get the car where I want it! But are they every really finished?

Thus the reason I'm selling the Mustang!
On second thought after typing out all the details above...
$10,000 and the Mustang's' yours!

Pics of both cars attached...

derekf
09-16-2004, 10:16 AM
Welcome to the site, er.. what's your name?

Looking forward to seeing progress on your Formula!

Ralph LoGrasso
09-16-2004, 10:27 AM
Welcome aboard!

OLDFLM
09-16-2004, 01:21 PM
Sorry... Hello, my name is Ty... :usa:

cjhutch
09-16-2004, 04:26 PM
What heads are you using on your 400? I'm using KRE heads and I have to agree with you, they do great work. You may want to save a little money and get some new rods also. I was going to use a HR 224/230 but decided to go larger due to an increase in cubes. Gotta love those German highways. Never reached 200, but made it to 158 in a beemer. Sounds like a great car and very happy to see some more pontiac guys here.

BlazerSpeed
09-16-2004, 08:36 PM
welcome to your new home away from home Sir, and thank you for serving our country :usa:

DEREK

67Sally
09-18-2004, 06:27 AM
Welcome to the Forum Ty.

yody
09-18-2004, 08:28 PM
Hey, good start on the car, this is the 400 combo i was running before the 454
pontiac 400
67 block/heads
2.11/1.77 valves, mild port job, new valve job standard valves
about 9-1 compression
cast rods,pistons,crank, resized rods/arp bolts
comp extreme hydraulic 274 extrme
performer rpm intake (no hood clearance at all!)
750 holley double pumper
1.5 roller rockers
1 5/8 squashed on the bottom hooker headers
it made 290 horse/345 torque at the rear wheels with one extremely squashed header(hit ground numerous times, for some reason it hung lower than the other)
that would put flywheel power at about 350 and torque just under 425.
If I would you The main thing would be the bolt on's for the engine, supsension, brakes and wheels.
You can do the brakes yourself, check out my caliper page http://geocities.com/codybouc/caliperpage.html I can also show you how to do the rear LS1 12" brakes easily. you can get crossdrilled/slotted rotors, brand new powdercoated calipers and all the parts for $1200, that is without the front hubs, caliper brackets and master cylinder, all that will run about $300, so for $1500 you will get just as good or better brakes that look better for $1000 less. I dunno if the baer kit uses front C5's or not, or if it uses the LT1 rears or not, my combo would be C5 front and LS1 rear which is superior to the regular baer stuff, the only thing they ahve better is the 2 piece rotors, but i think that is even more. I would go the hothckis route wtih their front springs, rear springs, front sway bar and all global west del a lum bushings, and a set of good shocks, NOT kyb's. then get a nice set of 18" wheels, maybe some boyds, Kenisis, or budniks. You can always pump up the power later
in terms of looks I would get rid of all that chrome, first take off the fender flare chrome, then the bottom rocker panel chrome. Also its just my opinion, but i think the second gens look good with tinted windows. I woudl like to build another car soon built to be real light weight with an LS1 N/A 600 horse or just under, another T56, some kind of aftemarket front suspension, total smooth firewall, vintage air, and with an exhaust that is totally tucked up so clearance will never be an issue, I hate how low my car is and how big the exhaust is going to be, i want a light car with great ground clearance! GOod luck with the car, don't be afraid to email me again!
BTW a 200mph mustang!!! don't you mean 200KPH?? sorry just don't see one of those things doing 200mph without major mods!

OLDFLM
09-20-2004, 08:58 AM
Thanks Yody! Now that you've opened the door I'll be buggin ya!
Especially about the brakes! I was looking at going with 12" Wilwood's
all the way around ($1200) to save some cash but like your set up
better! Just don't have the money now that I've got a 2 month old son!

The Firebird has the PST front end rebuild with the polygraphite bushings... HO Racing front springs... swaybars front and rear.
Gotta replace the side glass before I can tint... need better shocks!
I have a set of ported 13s on the self in the garage for the new combo,
just gotta get the cash around to get KRE to assemble them this fall
and the other parts around for the install before spring 05.

Mustang: Yep it was 200mph on the Saleen speedo!!! That thing's got
every 5.0 trick in the book... E-heads/intake, Saleen blower cam, paxton blower... full Steeda road race suspension... Tokico 5-ways etc.

Wished I'd had hood pins though... anything over 170 the corners of the hood would start dancing! I was cruising at 150mph with the AC on and tunes blasting and suddenly saw headlights flashing me to move over and "something" moving up FAST! I moved into the "slow" lane and this silver wraith of a car pulls up next to me...
the guy gives me a look and a nod... downshifts! the ass end of his car squats and he's gone like I'm doing 50mph not 150! So I planted the pedal and ran it up to 200mph trying to catch this guy... 20 mins
later I pull into a BP to get gas (and relax!) and this guy comes up to me and says with a German accent "Is that your Mustang?" Turns out it's "the guy" and he says "that thing runs pretty good for an American car!" then he takes me out and shows me his silver Bugatti EB110!!!

True story!

Steve Chryssos
09-24-2004, 08:50 AM
Nice Ride!!