PDA

View Full Version : console ideas..

manny z
09-15-2004, 11:50 PM
Alright, I need some ideas on a custom console. I have a 68 charger. It came with a factory console. It was broken, and cracked so I sold it.
I was thinking of something I can mount my guages on.

I am not sure what kind of shifter I want to use. By the way, it is an auto.

derekf
09-16-2004, 04:08 AM
You're thinking to make one or adapt one from another car?

CAMAROBOY69
09-16-2004, 05:09 AM
There are many ways to make custom consoles out of fiberglass, wood or foam. If you need more info about the foam or fiberglass let me know.
-You could also buy a console from a new generation vehicle and make it adapt. If you could adapt a Viper console or some sort of new Dodge console that would be trick! I haven't seen anyone with a dodge do that yet but thats what I would do if I owned a Dodge. :)

68RallySport
09-16-2004, 09:43 AM
i agree with Adam, a viper console would look bada$$...
David

StRacerDuke
09-16-2004, 11:43 AM
I made one for my old chevelle.
www.geocities.com/thelastcaboose
Check out the 64 2 NV page. I think there are a few pictures of it on there. I made it out of 3/4" HD Fiberboard for sides and an aluminum top. I just used cardboard for the templates and it came out nice.

manny z
09-19-2004, 08:53 PM
thanks for the ideas. As all of you might know, when you say viper, it is going to be $$$. I am thinking more in the lines of aluminum. Yes I will use cardboard for templates also.

I am going to have some free time this week, so I am going to be doing some work on my car, finally!! If I come up with something, I will post pics. More then likely thye will be of the template.

DLinson
09-21-2004, 10:10 AM
Sheetmetal console (http://www.et-motorsports.cc/project_cars/nova_62_menace/Construction/Interior/index.htm)

Here is a link to my Interior page for my Nova. I made mine from 18 and 20 gage sheet metal. It has a few pics of it in there. There is a pic of the dash out of the car with the instrament panels fabbed into it. The pic next to it is the start of the console at the top that the radio will mount in. Just another idea. I created my console in CAD first and then made full size prints of the sheet metal in flat patterns. I transfered them to the sheet, cut it out, and then formed it. It took 7 pieces of sheet metal. One for each side, one for the top panel that the shifter goes through, on that wraps completely around the sterio bezel and three pieces to create the sterio bezel.

I think making it out of sheet metal was pretty easy and it weighs about 2 or 3 lbs.

Dennis

CAMAROBOY69
09-21-2004, 10:21 AM
WOW Denis!!!!! That interior is looking sick!!!!!!!! :drool: :seizure: Everyone hopefully will see those pics!!!! Stretching the dash, molded pods in the doors that form into the dash. THat is absolutely impressive work!!!! :attn: :headbang:

TitoJones
09-21-2004, 04:30 PM
I hope Brihan doesn't mind me posting this, but his 67 Camaro convert is coming along nicely.

He used the center console out of a 97+ Jaguar XKR coupe. I think it looks right at home in the car:
https://www.pro-touring.com/~tylerb/interiorconsole002.jpg
Tyler

CAMAROBOY69
09-22-2004, 04:07 AM
That is also very very nice! Another original idea that works well. Hmm that shifter knob looks familiar. heheheh :)

ryans67deuce
09-23-2004, 09:18 AM
http://www.et-motorsports.cc/project_cars/nova_62_menace/Construction/Interior/coolcar-pic-3.jpg

Hey Dennis, What is that - oh ***** handles for the back seat passsengers??? :3gears:

DLinson
09-23-2004, 09:57 AM
I don't have a cross bar to mount the shoulder belts so I created those to mount the Y shoulder straps too. I created a loop that bolts to the end of those bars coming out near the bottom of the seat. They will have quick connects so I can remove them to acces the back seat. I have a wife and two kids and the back seat access is manditory. The wife still won't stop complaining about the fuel cell protruding into the trunk about 3 inches.

I'm still trying to decide on the seats but I plan on running the shoulder belts through a brace in the seat, (I may modify a set of Cavailer seats) to prevent compressing the back if in an accident.

Dennis.

ryans67deuce
09-23-2004, 10:12 AM
Looks great Dennis, I've been periodically checking your site for updates, and I've gotten a few ideas from your build. Keep up the fantastic work!!

68RallySport
09-28-2004, 11:29 PM
tyler that thing has killer door panels, and i only can see half of them!
David

manny z
09-30-2004, 07:54 PM
MAN!! that jag console looks really close to what i want to do. I recently had to take a couple of weeks off. My son was born on the 21 of sept. :seizure: I am so pumped. I am going to start working on this as soon as I can now. I am going to make a template first. I will post pics, and see what you guys think.