PDA

View Full Version : sub frame connector fit

MARBIL
01-23-2016, 05:54 AM
I have protouringFbody subframe connectors, they look awesome but it looks like the rear will block the bolt at the rear of the front
leaf spring bracket, anyone else experience this and if so did you do anything about it, I will probably never remove the springs but
it does bother me that they fit like this.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/01/sub20frame20connector20004-1.jpg (http://s33.photobucket.com/user/marbil_one/media/sub%20frame%20connector%20004.jpg.html)

Thanks for your input and advise you all rock.
Bill

F-Body International
01-23-2016, 06:06 AM
Hey Bill,

I have actually had a lot of experience with Dave (I live near his shop). Much of the issues that occur with his products can be corrected if you talk to him. He usually will fix his orders free of charge. His products are good and he has updated/modified most of his product line.

I see where you're coming from with that bolt clearance. I wouldn't want to weld it in looking at picture. I'd call PTFB Dave and send him a picture so he can see what you're talking about. Can you fit a socket and universal joint in there?

Jon

MARBIL
01-23-2016, 10:46 AM
No it will actually touch the bolt head if I push it up tight, I thought about modifying the connector with a half round cut out and weld in a piece of pipe cut in half at this location I don't think it would effect the integrity of the connector. Here is a pic from the side view.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/01/sub20frame20connector20003-1.jpg (http://s33.photobucket.com/user/marbil_one/media/sub%20frame%20connector%20003.jpg.html)

badazz81z28
01-23-2016, 08:11 PM
I have personally have had bad dealings with Dave and will never buy his products again. I wouldn't weld those in either because you never know of you will need to pull the springs. Your best bet would be to modify the SFCs. I have owned a few brands of SFCS and never such an issue.

MARBIL
01-24-2016, 07:46 AM
Yeh badazz, the more I think about it I am not happy with the fit at all, I cant believe there are any cars out there that they fit right, when I called them the guy I talked to said I was the first to complain about them, these cars aren't all the same but we are talking about quite a bit of interference, wish I would have waited to order them, the car was still on the rotisserie when I bought them so its been awhile, don't think I can return them after a couple years, LOL!

F-Body International
01-24-2016, 09:43 AM
Yeh badazz, the more I think about it I am not happy with the fit at all, I cant believe there are any cars out there that they fit right, when I called them the guy I talked to said I was the first to complain about them, these cars aren't all the same but we are talking about quite a bit of interference, wish I would have waited to order them, the car was still on the rotisserie when I bought them so its been awhile, don't think I can return them after a couple years, LOL!

Yea, it might be a bit late for returns there. I had PTFB subframe connectors at one time but I ended up selling them to someone else before installation. You're best off modifying them to fit your car or selling them in unmodified condition and going with something else. Sometimes taking a part like that and making it work for you is more rewarding than just installing.

Is it both sides that don't fit correctly or just one?

There are a few things that I would use PTFB for myself. Dave's firewall "g braces" and adjustable solid body mounts are good. The key to PTFB products is to communicate with Dave as fast as you can on when issues come up. I could go on a rant with multiple PTFB products that I've had experience with but I'm not here to downplay Dave's stuff. He's knowledgeable and makes a couple things that are almost an industry exclusive.

MARBIL
01-25-2016, 05:43 AM
I have not tried the drivers side yet but anticipate similar fitment issues, they are made very well and seem like they will be very stout, should be a pretty simple modification, I should be able to mod them later this week, will post when done.