PDA

View Full Version : Alignment Settings

Ralph LoGrasso
11-01-2005, 10:12 PM
Perhaps this is a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway -- Aside from spending hours at the track testing and tuning, or possessing an in-depth knowledge of suspension kinematics, how does one determine ideal aligment settings for their car?

For example, I'm going to be lowering my '01 SS in a month or so, and I'll be aligning it at that time, too. I want to go with something a little more aggressive than stock, but not too aggressive that I'll see uneven tire wear, or other adverse effects. Are there any "general" rules to follow when determing alignment setting, Ie add 2* negative camber to stock, 2* caster, etc. A bit more toe in, out, etc.

I should note that I have no prior experience in aligning cars, and I'll be using a rack to do it, not with hand tools. It won't be lowered much, only 1" or so, and I've also swapped 275/17s for 275/18s, but the OD is the same.

So, any general rules or guidelines to follow? I don't have the stock alignment specs, sorry.

Thanks,

sinned
11-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Guide lines for an aggressively driven street car with an owner who understands tire wear will be sacrificed are something like:

Camber, equal -1.5*
Caster, every car is different, a late model Camaro might run as much as 6*
Toe; always toe-in on a street car, around 3/16" total and measure tread face with a pyrometer to tune accordingly.

Ralph LoGrasso
11-02-2005, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the response, Dennis. I will try to follow those specs when aligning the car. I do not mind some tire wear, as the car is not a DD, I just don't want the inside edges of my tires completely bald in 200 miles or something crazy like that.
Thanks again,

Norm Peterson
11-03-2005, 08:31 AM
Do a search in the Chassis & Suspension Tech forum over at http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/, as 4th gen alignment specs have been discussed numerous times. You should be able to find a set that suits your anticipated driving or at least develop a "feel" for what would work.

For the 4th gen F-bodies, I do know that there are limitations that force you to choose between caster and camber under certain conditions, and that either -1.5* camber or +6* caster may not even be individually achievable in some cars.

Norm

Ralph LoGrasso
11-03-2005, 03:40 PM
I forgot about frrax. I will do a search there and see what other guys have come up with. Thanks, Norm.

Ackattack
11-03-2005, 09:16 PM
yeah, i got my specs off of spec. I think the amount of negative camber you can get may be limited by how much you lower it. If its not much, you may not be able to get all that you desire.

If I remember right, my car is set at -1.2* camber. Its been awhile, so I don't remember what the other specs were. The guy at the alignment shot was telling me how it was stupid to go with that much, bla bla bla, and how I was going to tear up my tires, bla bla bla. No problems so far (year and a half and about 8k miles)