PDA

View Full Version : Making Carbon Fiber Panels

DreamRyder1963
01-13-2016, 11:28 AM
Since I have way to much time at work to sit there and think, I was wondering what would be involved in making bespoke carbon fiber panels. Is it basically like fiberglass? With my project there is not an option to buy carbon fiber panels. Can anyone recommend a book or other info source for me to check out?

jlcustomz
01-13-2016, 02:29 PM
Composite Materials fabrication handbook ,#1,2,&3. Start with 1. EDIT:: also have the book Rob shows below, not a bad basic book. The more advanced books get into stuff most of us will never do anyways.
Basics are similar to fiberglass, except using epoxy resins. Some cf products, such as many of the import hoods you see on the street are cf overlayed onto fiberglass. You definitely need a good mold as step 1.Could get by just laying & smoothing the resin soaked materials in there like fiberglass, but you will be heavy on the resin ratio & more chance of air bubbles.
Next step up is vacuum bagging.
Next up is a pressurized autoclave oven, beyond our budgets.
There are also prepeg fabrics with the resin in them that activate either by heat or uv.
Soooo, basically you can't make a top quality one yourself, but it is doable. I'm hoping to sand thinner & overlay a few items I have later this year.
if you want to be exposed , you need to coat with good uv resistant clearcoat. If you want to paint, best to have a layer of veil material up top to block out the checkering effect.
Fiberglast & US composites are 2 sources of materials & info.

DreamRyder1963
01-13-2016, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the info. I will check those out.

krom
01-13-2016, 06:11 PM
cant take credit for this

Rod
01-14-2016, 06:20 AM
here is a simple one, covers the basics, you can get it on amazon

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2016/01/showtime20book201_zpsph8ihubh-1.jpg

DreamRyder1963
01-16-2016, 03:55 PM
I finally got a chance to read the write up krom posted. It was very informative. He used the vacuum bag method and he made it seem fairly simple. Obvisiously this method is also more expensive. I will also be ordering the book Rod posted soon. I believe my plan is going to be to produce the molds first and test them with fiberglass. If I feel confindent in them, then I will use them for carbon.

j-c-c
01-18-2016, 09:47 AM
Are you attempting 3d panels, or are they flat? I just recently did some flat CF swan neck wing struts, used epoxy, and release film, and just weighted the heck out of them when setting up between two 1/2" metal plates. Kinda of a shade tree vacuum bag idea. I was surprised how well it worked for me, and simple, and in expensive, FWIW. Lightly sanded when done, coated with a clear UV grade epoxy for a nice gloss. Not show car, but effective.

DreamRyder1963
01-18-2016, 12:57 PM
They are 3d. The bumpers and the hood will be my first parts.