PDA

View Full Version : Ridetech coilovers rising through mounts under load on a '66 Chevelle

switchblade327
01-11-2016, 01:27 PM
I'm putting my front suspension back together with the Ridetech Select series shocks first installed by builder had installed but there is a pretty major issue: the shock is pushing up through the mount when the wheel is loaded instead of compressing. I spoke with Ridetech and we both thought maybe I was missing some part of my shock so they sent me new stuff but I put it all together this weekend and it's still happening. I have no idea if it was like this before but part of why I took it apart is that I had a ton of front end noises.

The problem looks like this (jacking up the control arm pushings the shock up through the mount):
https://youtu.be/6RANEZIKQ4s

And the coilover apart, looks like this (gallery, with all pieces and measurements)
http://imgur.com/a/jJq9H

I'm starting to suspect that these aren't the right coilovers, or at the very least, the right springs for this car. Reading the instructions on Ridetech's site for the Non Adjustable coilover (and the singles) it mentions a 10" spring but mine are only 8". My setup is probably 4-5 years old though so I don't know that it's "wrong."

I don't see what part of the coilover is supposed to prevent this other than the spring being taller to move all the other stuff closer to the end of the shock. I've talked to Ridetech tech support but it's been a very slow process from the West coast and honestly, they haven't been great at timely email replies after my initial calls. I hope the collective wisdom of the PT forum can help my get to the bottom of it. My car is on jack stands until I figure this out so I want to resolve it ASAP.

This seems like a really stupid problem and that I'm going to feel very dumb when I find out what's missing.

marolf101x
01-11-2016, 02:27 PM
There's a little, black, stepped "washer" that goes in between the larger aluminum part (that sits against the spring retainer) and the lower aluminum socket (for the ball and socket, that the Delrin ball fits in).
You are missing those parts. Once installed, the shock shaft is locked to the aluminum parts.
I hope this makes sense. I'll see if I can find some pictures.

switchblade327
01-11-2016, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, Britt. Danny from tech support sent me a diagram that sounds like what you're talking about:

The red, circled ones are what secure the shock shaft? So should I be concerned about the height of the springs (8") or is my problem entirely because of these two missing pieces?

marolf101x
01-11-2016, 02:34 PM
Here you go.
If you cannot find them call us. We should be able to provide the missing parts.

marolf101x
01-11-2016, 02:35 PM
Damn you're quick!!!

The issue is only due to the missing "lock washer".
The spring length should be fine.

switchblade327
01-11-2016, 02:39 PM
Damn you're quick!!!

Only on the internet :P

The issue is only due to the missing "lock washer".
The spring length should be fine.

Cool, thank you. So the piece right above in the your diagram: is that another aluminum, inverse hemisphere piece like the ones that go on top of the top/over-the frame delrin bushing? If so, I think I have those but I think I need to order those "lock washers". Can I do that from you?

marolf101x
01-11-2016, 02:52 PM
You are correct. . .you need two "hemispherical" aluminum parts to contain the Delrin "ball". You will also need the "lock washers".
You'll have to call the Sales Staff to get those (since you talked to Danny you can request him, but it really doesn't matter. Just tell them you need part # 90001905 ("Delphi Step Washer").
Let me know if you have any other issues. (I won't be back on the forum till tomorrow as I have to take my wife out for her birthday)

switchblade327
01-11-2016, 04:54 PM
Great, thanks Britt.

Are those two aluminum parts identical between the upper and lower? I have 4 of those so if they're identical then I just need the step washers.

I'll call in the morning. Thanks for the help!

switchblade327
01-25-2016, 01:26 PM
So the lock washers seem to be doing the trick (thanks again!) but only as long as the coilover is preloaded halfway or more. Beyond that, there is some gap between the lock washer and the unloaded spring like this:

which has me wondering again, if my springs are too short (they're only 8" tall; the instructions for the nonadujstable A body shocks mention 10" springs.) Does this seem right? If I have the coilover all the way down, they would move a ways up through the mount under load before the shock would actually compress.

TheJDMan
01-25-2016, 05:00 PM
I keep getting the sense something is assembled wrong. I don't think the shock rod should ever be moving vertically relative to the upper mount.

switchblade327
01-25-2016, 06:21 PM
I keep getting the sense something is assembled wrong. I don't think the shock rod should ever be moving vertically relative to the upper mount.

Yeah, I was thinking about that which is why I'm not sure if it's an issue or not. For half the range of adjustment, it's no problem and for the other half, it is. I guess I'll get it all together and find out! Thanks.

killer69
01-26-2016, 07:31 AM
When in doubt have a quick look at the INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS???

switchblade327
01-26-2016, 08:29 AM
When in doubt have a quick look at the INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS???

What a GREAT idea!

Notice any lock washers missing? Or any other discrepancies with the pictures?

I appreciate that the Ridetech guys are being patient and helpful with me. I will remember that I shouldn't expect the same of Speedtech.

darren@ridetech
01-26-2016, 10:22 AM
So the lock washers seem to be doing the trick (thanks again!) but only as long as the coilover is preloaded halfway or more. Beyond that, there is some gap between the lock washer and the unloaded spring like this:

which has me wondering again, if my springs are too short (they're only 8" tall; the instructions for the nonadujstable A body shocks mention 10" springs.) Does this seem right? If I have the coilover all the way down, they would move a ways up through the mount under load before the shock would actually compress.

In this picture you are still in a negative preload situation. Adjust the nut up until just before it starts push up on the step washer, this would be considered zero preload. This is a good starting point, depending on vehicle weight and desired ride height you will need to add another .5"-1" of preload to achieve ride height.

switchblade327
01-26-2016, 12:17 PM
In this picture you are still in a negative preload situation. Adjust the nut up until just before it starts push up on the step washer, this would be considered zero preload. This is a good starting point, depending on vehicle weight and desired ride height you will need to add another .5"-1" of preload to achieve ride height.

Thanks Darren. That's about how I set it up before bolting it all back together; with the washer just barely engaged against the spacer-spring etc. I have just enough clearance to get a regular jack under the front crossmember so that's a good sign that it's not too high or low. We'll see once I get the rest of the car together.

I've already got a set of SA Ridetech shocks for my next project (a '63 Nova with TCI subframe) so it's nice to know you guys are so helpful when I get stuck or confused.

killer69
01-27-2016, 07:54 AM
What a GREAT idea!

Notice any lock washers missing? Or any other discrepancies with the pictures?

I appreciate that the Ridetech guys are being patient and helpful with me. I will remember that I shouldn't expect the same of Speedtech.

LOL we probably have the best customer service out there!! I take tech calls everyday and in ALOT of cases the customer has never even looked at the instructions!

switchblade327
01-27-2016, 09:06 AM
LOL we probably have the best customer service out there!! I take tech calls everyday and in ALOT of cases the customer has never even looked at the instructions!

I understand that a lot of people never RTFM but it's probably better to not assume they haven't and at least ask.

TheJDMan
01-27-2016, 02:51 PM
I understand that a lot of people never RTFM but it's probably better to not assume they haven't and at least ask.

OK, so I'll ask. Have you RTFM?

TheJDMan
01-27-2016, 02:51 PM
Just wondering.

MCB Matt
01-27-2016, 04:48 PM
Customer service from both Ridetech and Speedtech is great!

Ridetech will get you setup with the pieces you are missing and once you drive the car, you will truly appreciate those coil over's!

Matt

switchblade327
01-27-2016, 05:20 PM
Just wondering.

Those are my dirty paw prints all over that diagram from the manual, yes. It's possible I didn't grasp it 100% but I tried to find a solution there before asking here.