PDA

View Full Version : 05 GTO motor and Trans swap into 1966 GTO

Joe RKD
11-01-2005, 04:37 PM
hello Chevy world....

Noodling something here...

I want to up grade my 1966 GTO with an 05 drive trane out of a GTO.

Who makes Hardware to do this...Engine transmounts wiring conversions etc...?

Who does anyone know near Cleveland Ohio who can do this for me?

How can I learn what this conversion entails?

Do I have to hack my car all up to do this?

derekf
11-02-2005, 04:10 AM
Hi Joe, welcome to the site.

I've never seen an '05 GTO drivetrain swap, but I would expect that swap-wise it's pretty similar to swapping in an LS1 from a Camaro.

Our sponsor ATS (http://www.t56kit.com) makes some of the parts that should work to mount the engine (motor mounts and tranny crossmember); wiring-wise you could go with a new harness from Painless (I'm assuming they have one that'd work on an 05 GTO) or have your existing harness reworked by Speartech or similar.

I'd expect that you will have to modify your transmission tunnel some.

You'd also need to upgrade your fuel system (pump needs to put out 58psi). Depending on the motor mounts you use, you may need to modify your oil pan (not sure if that applies to the ATS mounts or if it's even a concern with the GTO pan).

Anyway, in general I have very little first hand knowledge of anything at all, so hopefully someone with some more relevant knowledge will pipe up. That may take a while, most of the more clueful folks are at SEMA this week.

Post up in the "Welcome to our board" section and introduce yourself though, post pics of your Goat if you've got some - we love in-progress pics.

tlillard23
05-07-2012, 12:49 PM
I am doing the same thing. 05 in to a 66 gto. Should be interesing