PDA

View Full Version : front suspension thoughts on a B-Body Mopar - RMS vs. XV

speedfreak572
01-08-2016, 10:29 AM
hey everybody.

on my welcome-thread, you can see, I'm trying to seriously go pro-touring with my 68 satellite.
right now, we're at the stage to disassemble everything to get ready for the paint.

so far, i was happy with the rms front suspension. lots of positive testimonals in the www agreed upon that. bill also was perfect in service and communication, no doubt. but at a closer look at the system, especially when considering 275 toyo r888's on front, i'm not quite sure, whether the components really will be strong enough for what i'm up to. the tubular arms and the spindles don't seem to be super heavy duty and beefy.

when the car is ready, i will seriously hit the gas and corner that car. the nuerburgring is not far from my home. ;-) everything is stiffened and there will be a lot of force on the front suspension, especially when using german mov'it brakes. (i changed the brake system, since wilwood doesn't seem the be tough enough also...)

when i take a closer look at the components of xv, i see a lot of corvette stuff, which especially at the spindels and lower arms seems to be pretty tough. at least tougher than the RMS components. the frame looks very solid, too.

but in a lot of protouring threads, i've read some stuff, xv products aren't fabricated pretty well, won't fit and so on. (RMS fits perfectly, btw!)

so right now i'm at the point of changing the complete front end again and I fear to make a mistake...

what do you guys think?

here's a sneak preview to my project:
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/118945-1968-Mopar-protourer-Project-in-Germany

also am I thinking of just getting corvette lower control arms and spindles and try to complete my project with those components....?

Do you have other suggestions?

Thanx folks!

j-c-c
01-08-2016, 01:16 PM
Very nice build BTW. Some back ground on feelings on RMS.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1665048/rms-alterktion-on-steroids-long.html#Post1665048

I think your concern is very valid, and you have likely exceeded what Bill had in mind for his set-up. Everything has limits, which is like saying the sky is blue. In your case at your level I would have zero confidence in changing out for XV, just does not impress me, as they seem to always be playing engineering catch up on their designs. I see spindles as the area of most concern for you. I would think you would looking for a fellow member here Ron Sutton solution or adapt a Stock car products spindle with maybe an adjustable SPC upper a arm for starters.

stefan572
01-10-2016, 02:52 AM
Thanx for the reply.

Yes - bill for sure is cool and I'm not blaming rms at all. I talked to him too and he said, it's not really designed for some Nuerburgring laps.

Which stock components come in mind for you? Corvette spindles?

Cheers.

GEARBOXGARAGE
01-11-2016, 05:47 AM
Depending on your fab skill, you could look into something similar to what Detroit Speed did with a 69 Charger. They grafted on one of their X-Gen front subframes. Here's a link to their build thread...

http://www.detroitspeed.com/Projects/moe-1969-charger/moe-1969-charger-pg-1.html

j-c-c
01-11-2016, 05:55 PM
It was a little difficult to sort out how the front stub was connected to the rest of the chassis. Seems to me the integrity of this connection would determine the rigidity of the entire package. I admit it is a tough nut to crack. However if one is willing to drop in an entire new/better IFS, there are a number of options that don't use the vette stuff if an alternative is needed, and they might have a lot more adjustability, like the stock car stuff. This type of solution looks to me the direction the OP should be headed, and not look back. The Detroit exercise is very commendable, regardless IMO.

Proforged
01-12-2016, 07:59 AM
At that level, I would think you might want to be looking at a full chassis from someone like Roadster Shop:

http://roadstershop.com/product/full-chassis/1967-69-camaro-chassis/

speedfreak572
06-14-2016, 03:04 AM
Hi,

I'm bringing this topic back to the surface.

I talked to raodstershop a little and they offer a front suspension system for the 68-70 charger. This should fit my satellite as well....
http://roadstershop.com/product/subframe/1968-70-charger-front-subframe/

This does look quite serious.
What I noticed - they do the same as detroit speed (which looks pretty good also) by building a complete new front end frame, which goes up a little compared to the original subframe.
Has anybody around here ever installed and tested the roadstershop chassis?

Since I'm seriously thinking about switching to their system, I'd be happpy to get some reviews first.

Cheers!

GEARBOXGARAGE
06-14-2016, 08:33 AM
Anything from Roadster Shop is going to be of top quality. Plenty of options for brake packages are a plus.

studio57
06-15-2016, 09:49 AM
i have the xv and it is fine but the support sucked big time and the build quality wasnt what i expected on hi-end stuff.. yes the oem stuff ( rack&pinion was 2005-up mustang, c6 spindels and lower controlarms) was as it should but everything they actually made needed modification, now i would defently try something else like rms. XV setup has cheap single adjustable coilovers hopefully even those has improven.

TheJDMan
06-15-2016, 12:29 PM
Anything from Roadster Shop is going to be of top quality. Plenty of options for brake packages are a plus.

I agree!