PDA

View Full Version : LS1 For 2nd Gen Trans Am

ThatTABoy
11-01-2005, 09:27 AM
Hi, i just buyed an ls1/4l60e combo out of a 2002 z28, iŽll love to install it on my car, an 80 Trans Am, but i would like to know what would be involved on doing such a swap, i want to retain EFI, so most likely iŽll have to buy a Painless Wiring Harness, also, the engine came without the MAF, So iŽll need one too, any suggestions about it, if i could get into the 12.9Žs ill be really happy, what is involved?

ThatTABoy
11-01-2005, 09:29 AM
I forgot, i live in Mexico so spending more than 250dlls at a time would most likely be my way of doing it, I have a new born baby, so theres not much money available for the project, any info appreciated.Thanks

derekf
11-01-2005, 10:38 AM
You've got the engine and tranny - do you have the computer and the engine harness from the donor car? If so, I'd just use it instead of buying the Painless setup. Engine mounts can be made from steel plate, not sure what you'd need for tranny crossmember but I'd bet ATS (http://www.t56kit.com) has one that'd fit or will soon..

The stock harness/computer is pretty simple - you give it power and ground, and do something about the VATS signal, and it'll run. I have read that VATS eliminators are available on eBay but I don't know anything about them.

You'd likely also need a different radiator (or a bizarre hose setup to make your existing one work). Driveshaft would likely be different as well.

You can set up an LS1 to run without a MAF ("Speed Density" mode) but you'd likely need to buy some tuning software to make it work. I paid 50 bucks shipped for my MAF so they're not all that pricey to get.

derekf
11-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Oh - and welcome to the site! Post up in the "Welcome to our board" section and introduce yourself (and post pics of the car, if you've got any).

ThatTABoy
11-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Thank man, has anynoe done this swap, how did they installe the engine on the subframe, what parts did they used, where can i find them????

SatisTraction
11-02-2005, 09:43 AM
Thank man, has anynoe done this swap, how did they installe the engine on the subframe, what parts did they used, where can i find them????

read the FAQ post at the top. it has the info.